You did WHAT Today

Blarghagh

I ran into my ex and now she looks happily married with a kid. Meanwhile I'm sitting alone in front of my computer. I think I ****ed up somewhere along the line.

Key word there is "looks".  Always ask people what benefit they get from marriage or a kid, but I just get vague crap so is hard to judge its merit :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I always had a great time in Memphis, what I remember of it anyway. :lol: There were sketchy parts even back in the 90's. I fondly remember it as the only city where a gun was aimed in my general direction.

I too am going to be burning vacation days. Four days left with four weeks to go so I better get to it!

I ran into my ex and now she looks happily married with a kid. Meanwhile I'm sitting alone in front of my computer. I think I ****ed up somewhere along the line.

Key word there is "looks".  Always ask people what benefit they get from marriage or a kid, but I just get vague crap so is hard to judge its merit :lol:

I can be very specific about the benefit of marriage, but this is a family friendly forum.   :brows:

Financially I'd say it has been a boon for me, although that can vary pretty widely. Given that we make the same income though, it definitely helps to be able to combine our buying power. 

Also a friend of mine ended up with this crazy bloody nose situation where he passed out at home, and his wife called the paramedics and dealt with it. Maybe he wouldn't have died from it, but it is crazy to think what would have happened. I guess you can get that same benefit from a conscientious roommate though. 

That is true, a spouse is someone that can take you to the hospital or notice you're incapacitated. Will put that on list

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

That is true, a spouse is someone that can take you to the hospital or notice you're incapacitated. Will put that on list

Unless of course they are the reason you are in that condition!

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

There are things to like about Memphis. The food and music scene are definitely #1 & #2 on any list. There is a lot in the way of historical interest here too. But from a resident's point of view once you've seen it, you've seen it. and a lot of it has been let go to seed too. Of course I live over an hour north of town so I don't really liver here at all.

Giftd Millington is a ghost town since NAS Memphis closed. Covington is actually bigger now.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Also true. Maybe some sort of panic button and a roommate is better

Also true. Maybe some sort of panic button and a roommate is better

Life Alert to the rescue.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

BestBuy has a 43" LG "4k" TV on sale for around $330. Sure it won't be a high quality TV but since I bought the Pro, I'm suuuuuper tempted, but then that truly would mean FFXV is the most expensive game ever. But...the boy band...in 4k...

Must...resist...

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Y'know, when you try to watch things like Netflix on a 4k (when the TV isn't a 60" I suppose), subtitles get really small ....

(edit) oops I mean Viki, not Netflix. Netflix is ok.

Edited by LadyCrimson

I have some fancy dinner to go to tonight, but I needed to take my son to hockey first, so I go all dressed up. Now I look like a coach and prospects from the Kings and Ducks keep asking me questions. I guess they are in town for a tourney.

• Like 2

I would like to once again whinge re: getting old + vision.

--Glasses on: 27" monitor = average for things to be in ok focus is 2.5-3 feet, but fine detail work or small text I have to look over tops of glasses/remove glasses and smash my face against the monitor (1 foot away or closer).

--Contact lenses: 27" monitor = I have to wear reading glasses 98% of the time, from about 1.5-2 feet away. Reading glass are always on a chain on my neck now.

Gets worse every 6 months, I swear. I guess it's time for bifocals, but I loathe bifocals.  And it makes me really unsure about results when I'm trying to edit photos/pictures and stuff. Which makes me sad. Edit: not to mention *taking* pictures.

Edited by LadyCrimson

I'm pretty much finished with my Xmas shopping. I'll still pick up some stocking stuffer-esque doodads, but the big important stuff is done, so that's a monkey off my back and I can now enjoy the holiday season mostly carefree. :D

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Let Youtube dictate what music I would listen to.  Started out with Savatage then somehow ended up with Manowar, so that ended that experiment after 10 minutes.

Wife and I decided not to get each other gifts this year which means I'm still getting her a gift but hopefully she'll stop trying to get me one. I've specifically asked for no gifts* for the past 8 years so let's see if I finally get what I asked for.

*Not exactly true. I tell my friends and family to donate to no kill animal shelters if they press me for an answer.

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

^ Hubby and I stopped buying "gifts" for each other in our early 20's. We just buy ourselves any fun stuff on our own, instead. Within reasonable means, of course.  eg, no mega-luxury car, yacht or leer-jet purchasing is allowed without at least a notification of intent. :biggrin:

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 2

Today I'm working from the waiting room of the Vet's office. Sunny is getting her teeth cleaned. Merry Christmas Sunny, this is your present!

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

My favorite winter morning wear. Sometimes my favorite afternoon and evening wear, too.

Man not included.

morningwear1.jpg

So if I bought a really comfy, enfolding recliner** and put 43" and 40" TV's on the sides of my wide desk, angled, with the 27" pc monitor in the middle, and used the 43" 4k tv for gaming/movies and the other two for other PC tasks...cordless KB/mouse included ofc...would that be too much? No? Ok, Imma gonna work on that then. Just need the chair.*

----------

*Hubby's reaction to this idea: "I'll never see you again."

----------

**Like this thing:

8129904_1007.jpg

• Like 3

On hindsight, and more seriously, what I really need is a barber type chair. If you look at, say, DXRacers "gaming chair" site, every one of their chairs is supposedly ergonomically designed for quite tall people. 5' 5" seems their minimum from reading forum posts, and that's not even listed on their actual guide page. https://www.dxracer.com/us/en-us/pages/choosedxracer/

Since I'm 4' 10.5" tall (or approx. 1.48/1.49?) meters for you metric people)...last thing I want is "ergonomic designs" jutting me in all the wrong places.

Barber chair, on the other hand, simpler, with a built in foot rest so my feet don't dangle uselessly/painfully off the floor at common US desk height. :/

But I'm not sure many have adjustable armrests, which is another sizing problem with most chairs, for me. They might also be a little too wide/deep. And expensive.

So annoying when all you want is a decent farking desk/gaming chair that doesn't make your back/neck/arthritic knees ache in pain just from regular use of an hour or three per day. Console gaming and staying on the bed/couch is looking better and better all the time. If only there were more games I like on console.

Got an email that I'm starting clinicals at Kaiser Permanente on January 10th. Everyone else in my group found out last week, so I spent the day more or less doing paperwork, taking quizzes on various practices ranging from hand hygiene to hazmat removal. All of that and I still got my paperwork ready faster than some of the people who found out last week. The people in my cohort are good folks. I haven't met them all yet, but the ones I have are outstanding people. Younger, smarter, and swifter than me to be sure, but I somehow manage to get the old brain cells working and prove I'm still in the trim. I would say that I'm cautiously optimistic about my academic performance. I had thought about applying for med school, but that would have entailed quite a bit of time and debt. My record is good, but I'm old and so I wasn't sure I'd be accepted. Pursuing a DNP is more practical in terms of time and money balanced against income. ...And, most importantly, it's a faster path to what I really want, which is hopefully find a way to do some good for someone other poor bastard instead of just looking out for myself my whole life.

• Like 3

χαίρετε

Got an email that I'm starting clinicals at Kaiser Permanente on January 10th. Everyone else in my group found out last week, so I spent the day more or less doing paperwork, taking quizzes on various practices ranging from hand hygiene to hazmat removal. All of that and I still got my paperwork ready faster than some of the people who found out last week. The people in my cohort are good folks. I haven't met them all yet, but the ones I have are outstanding people. Younger, smarter, and swifter than me to be sure, but I somehow manage to get the old brain cells working and prove I'm still in the trim. I would say that I'm cautiously optimistic about my academic performance. I had thought about applying for med school, but that would have entailed quite a bit of time and debt. My record is good, but I'm old and so I wasn't sure I'd be accepted. Pursuing a DNP is more practical in terms of time and money balanced against income. ...And, most importantly, it's a faster path to what I really want, which is hopefully find a way to do some good for someone other poor bastard instead of just looking out for myself my whole life.

Good luck! And by the way you can do good for yourself as well as do some good for that poor bastard at the same time. Don't think of the two as being mutually exclusive.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell