DigitalCrack

Id like the Ranger to be more like in NWN1/2:

- Ranger auto-gains one favoured enemy, per x level:

> Wilder Hunter

> Beast Slayer

> Ghost Hunter

> Sanctifier

> Primal Bane

Personally, I feel that giving them all of those will actually reduce RP impact, it’s not special anymore if you have everything.

Pillars of Bugothas

Id like the Ranger to be more like in NWN1/2:

- Ranger auto-gains one favoured enemy, per x level:

> Wilder Hunter

> Beast Slayer

> Ghost Hunter

> Sanctifier

> Primal Bane

The rest seems like a bit much to me, but since general talents were removed I don't see why this can't be folded over into the Ranger passive tree.

EDIT: Maybe make the passives that improve guns/ranged weapons available to all classes, and give these "favored prey" passives to Rangers, since they seem to be a low-maintenance class.

Edited by CENIC

Aloth massages his temples, shaking his head.

Are we still suggesting rangers get two-weapon fighting if they're not archers? Even Wizards of the Coast figured out that's a bad idea by now.

As for favoured enemies, I don't think those should be a thing, and giving them to a particular class is doubly questionable. Those talents are entirely useless if you're not fighting that type of enemy - which is something entirely beyond your control. There's no GM to take pity on you and throw some orcs in because you took Favoured Enemy (Orc).

If we want to give rangers the option to specialize against particular quarry, it's better to make talents that are themed around different enemies but have less situational benefits. Like a giant-slayer getting bonuses to single, isolated enemies (which you can control), a spirit-slayer getting elemental resistance, or whatever.

• Like 1

Just wanted to check out modding abilities. I was able to change wounding shots to any weapons not just ranged. You can edit abilities in the bb_abilities.gamedatabundle fairly easily now. Its a little weird all abilities being in one giant bundle. I mean when an update hits that overwrites this file there goes your mods. You have to find and edit your updates again in the giant file. SIngle files may be nicer but it still doable like it is.

Edit: You can do your own mod files

Edited by draego
  • Like 1

Just wanted to check out modding abilities. I was able to change wounding shots to any weapons not just ranged. You can edit abilities in the bb_abilities.gamedatabundle fairly easily now. Its a little weird all abilities being in one giant bundle. I mean when an update hits that overwrites this file there goes your mods. You have to find and edit your updates again in the giant file. SIngle files may be nicer but it still doable like it is.

Is it possible to edit what attributes do?

Aloth massages his temples, shaking his head.

Just wanted to check out modding abilities. I was able to change wounding shots to any weapons not just ranged. You can edit abilities in the bb_abilities.gamedatabundle fairly easily now. Its a little weird all abilities being in one giant bundle. I mean when an update hits that overwrites this file there goes your mods. You have to find and edit your updates again in the giant file. SIngle files may be nicer but it still doable like it is.

Is it possible to edit what attributes do?

Not that i am seeing yet but bb_progressiontables.gamedatabundle file lets you edit what abilities each class has. So if you wanted to give all the classes access to certain abilities you can but i suppose that would open up double dipping

• Like 1

In the stream, they said the animal level will be be at same level as ranger whether mult or single. This seems a little op for ranger animal multi but makes multclasses less bad than i had thought. I had assumed animal would level with power level since its the rangers 'power' although i hadnt tested this in beta. I guess we will see how this plays out could be interesting.

Edited by draego
  • Like 1

In the stream, they said the animal level will be be at same level as ranger whether mult or single. This seems a little op for ranger animal multi but makes multclasses less bad than i had thought. I had assumed animal would level with power level since its the rangers 'power' although i hadnt tested this in beta. I guess we will see how this plays out could be interesting.

Yeah I agree animal should be tied to power level instead of character level.

If you do that any Ranger multiclass will be gimped with a useless pet. If you make the Multiclass pet strong enough such that at its lower power level its adequate then the pure Ranger pet becomes overpowered.

By keeping the pet tied to character level it becomes useful for both multi and single class and will depend on how many abilities you invest into it. plus there might be some tier eight or tier nine pet abilities that are really good that only single class Rangers will have access to.

• Like 2

If you do that any Ranger multiclass will be gimped with a useless pet. If you make the Multiclass pet strong enough such that at its lower power level its adequate then the pure Ranger pet becomes overpowered.

By keeping the pet tied to character level it becomes useful for both multi and single class and will depend on how many abilities you invest into it. plus there might be some tier eight or tier nine pet abilities that are really good that only single class Rangers will have access to.

Multiclass ranger is only 2 power level behind single class ranger, I doubt it will have that big difference.

It's all depends on how the power level scale with animal power.

Edited by dunehunter

i just assumed before this beta that some of the classes special class defining abilities would be tied to power level but its not the case for others like carnage or sneak attack or constant recovery so it makes since its not the case for ranger either. 

Edited by draego

• 1 month later...

So completely from a feel standpoint, the ghost heart sub's ghost pet element needs to be reflected in more of its pet related abilities. An easy start to this would be replacing the heal pet ability and upgrade (which ghost heart cant use) and replace it with an active thats unique to the ghost pet aspect. In general just seems like it could be reflected more in some of the pet related talents at least.

Example would be like: "Haunting" an Aura of fear radiates from your pet. enemies within 1.5m must save vs will or be terrified.

Edit: Have the Ghost Heart's "Takedown" pet ability be altered to where it stuns and does cold damage instead of knockdown. Similar lateral tweaks like this would help sell the Ghost Pet theme better.

Edited by DigitalCrack
  • Like 3