Politics - Jason X

Amentep

Yep. Had thought deuce and a half trucks would work but apparently they have had trouble. Still, not sure what an armoured vehicle is needed by local cops, and not as if that armor is required for water. Also why not give those to the National Guard, they get activated in these floods

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Because people don't need to be saved if it's just a regular old flood?

For the Houston area, yes, and it's what experts call '500 year', but aren't really since it's a probability, not an actual historical once in 500 years.

It's not even a probability, we've had 4-5 floods in the last 40 years with close to 50" inches of rain. Supposedly a 100 year event is 13" of rain over 24 hours, but that's pretty common here, it doesn't even flood except in some low lying areas. The only way I can figure this nomenclature is correct is if they factor out all the hurricanes and tropical storms, since they expect people to evacuate in those anyway.

gonna need some support for such claims. has been multiple flooding incidents, but not as you describe.  allison, erin and ike brought major flooding, but erin actual only dropped 9 inches.

regardless, on average, a couple times a decade, maybe, you get a flood which would have need o' military vehicles... military vehicles which the military already has btw. money spent on such vehicles would be much better spent on mitigation efforts with investment lifetime much longer than a military vehicle.

______ wagons, while perhaps more difficult to get taxpayer support for such investment, makes more sense.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

So perhaps the report I saw was a bit misleading. The totals may have been correct, but they didn't necessarily happen in the exact same spot, whereas a 100 year event would be defined for a specific spot, not "somewhere" in the area. For example, in 1979 Alvin which is in the Houston area got 43 inches of rain in a 24 hour period! http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/texas/article/After-35-years-Alvin-still-holds-U-S-record-for-5644837.php

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

So I looked into it, and apparently the MRAP's are being sold to police departments for $5000, which is actually pretty reasonable for an emergency rescue type vehicle. Although they cost the military around $750k, so it's more of an issue of irresponsible Federal government spending instead of local spending. 

Yes, it's a good question why they have all these surplus $750K MRAPs to give away, when supposedly they're critically short of money for training and maintenance. Although I suppose it's better than giving them to our "allies", so that they wind up in IS or Al Qaeda hands.

Edited by Wrath of Dagon
  • Like 1

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I live in Texas, but too north for the flood to affect where I am. As a Texan, although I do feel for the victims (who doesn't), I also realize that we all knew this came with the territory. If you don't want floods, winterstorms, tornados, tsunamis or mudslides, I'd recommend going to Michigan/Ohio. Nothing ever happens there as it's surrounded by lands or lakes so the temps are more collective and as such no risk for anything really.

Just a reminder, there was a flood on the other side of Texas last year, which was even worse. Does anyone remember? That being sais, these floods are expected. Strange that our state is never prepared. Something's gotta give. I'm glad I live a bit north (not giving out my exact location here of course). All in all, it's being handled alot better this year with Trump on the committee than it was when Obama was on the committee, albeit being made a much larger deal to attract more drama.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

A lot of tropical storms actually move up to Ohio and pick up energy again as they find the Great Lakes.

Yes, Texans knew their region came with it's natural risks. But no matter how much you know, you can never fully prepare for something.

Also, the pastor Joel Olsteen not taking in victims of Hurricane Harvey seems to be blown out of proportion. While it may seem cruel to the untrained eye, the rest of us know that it would have been far more dangerous for them in that barricaded and fortified stadium than a small capitalized shelter... but that's a whole other issue altogether. There's alot of morons out there who assume prior to investigating the purpose of cause and affect which is why they felt dumb after learning about why a stadium structure is bad both for and against flooding.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

so, 3 +30' events in more than 40 years? not quite as some is trying to present. 

So I looked into it, and apparently the MRAP's are being sold to police departments for $5000, which is actually pretty reasonable for an emergency rescue type vehicle. Although they cost the military around $750k, so it's more of an issue of irresponsible Federal government spending instead of local spending. 

yeah, a few o' the vehicles ain't too expensive to purchase, but one o' the reasons the military gets rid of 'em is 'cause maintenance costs on such vehicles is too great.  is same reason police get rid o' their vehicles at public auctions after a few short years.  hit X hours of use, and maintenance costs become literal unbearable. am thinking hurl complained once on these boards 'bout new tires for the rv? imagine new tire cost alone for these vehicles. most replacement parts for such vehicles is not gonna be available from pep boys, eh? oh, and your mechanics is gonna need additional training as well... and considerable additional man hours o' maintence for an extreme limited use vehicle.

'course, as we said 'bove, there is also cost for "explaining" the need for such vehicles.  after ferguson and other similar events, police forces realized how "serve and protect" is a harder sell when you gotta explain these images to the public

140813_POL_FergusonCops2.jpg.CROP.promo-

20140814_MISSOURI-slide-RGXJ-superJumbo-

so yeah, 20 something flooding event since mid 70s, and only a handful o' which might be requiring military vehicles-- military vehicles which The Military already possesses and maintains.

ridiculous excuse for buying such hardware is infrequent cataclysmic flooding.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Idle thought, but I have to imagine whenever Trump shoots his mouth off over a hot war with North Korea Mattis has to show him a graph titled "Projected DJIA Losses" that simply shows a giant cliff.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Idle thought, but I have to imagine whenever Trump shoots his mouth off over a hot war with North Korea Mattis has to show him a graph titled "Projected DJIA Losses" that simply shows a giant cliff.

Just how far it'll fall isn't particularily predictable, but what is predictable is that disrupting a region that is one of the worlds biggest economic and trade hubs is going to have a huge affect on the global economy.

Just how far it'll fall isn't particularily predictable, but what is predictable is that disrupting a region that is one of the worlds biggest economic and trade hubs is going to have a huge affect on the global economy.

a globalist appeal is unlikely to have much o' an impact 'pon trump.  am not gonna speak for agiel, but when we see trump at rallies and making speeches, he loves to brag 'bout the stock market gains since he took office.  sure, most o' those gains have little to do with trump contributions, but regardless, is a frequent opportunity for the President to pat himself on the back. hasn't been many wins, real or imagined for trump since he took office.  turn a perceived win into a clear loss might not sit well with him.  if trump can be convinced the market will take a serious hit if he continues his sabre rattling, then perhaps he will calm a bit. then again...

HA! Good Fun!

The military deals with foreign enemies, the police deal with the public. When the police becomes the military the public becomes the enemy.

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Will Trump's ratings really improve when Seoul is turned to ash.

At least we'll be rid of that horrible K-pop.

well, there is a-bombs and h-bombs and e-bombs.  there is also ERW, o' which the neutron bomb is most well known.  there is proton bombs, but only in the star wars universe. there is (not) the quark or meson bomb, which were nothing more than the us punking the soviets into wasting considerable effort on a developmental dead end.  

even so, and no offense to lady crimson, but if somebody could create a bomb which wiped out nothing but korean music and visual media sources in a +5 mile radius, am thinking such a feat would be deserving a nobel prize for physics, and perhaps the peace prize too. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

Will Trump's ratings really improve when Seoul is turned to ash.

At least we'll be rid of that horrible K-pop.

well, there is a-bombs and h-bombs and e-bombs.  there is also ERW, o' which the neutron bomb is most well known.  there is proton bombs, but only in the star wars universe. there is (not) the quark or meson bomb, which were nothing more than the us punking the soviets into wasting considerable effort on a developmental dead end.  

even so, and no offense to lady crimson, but if somebody could create a bomb which wiped out nothing but korean music and visual media sources in a +5 mile radius, am thinking such a feat would be deserving a nobel prize for physics, and perhaps the peace prize too. 

HA! Good Fun!

This ERW? Heh. Evidently Wikipedia has no clue what you're talking about as far as ERW.

wikipedia is not an ignorant man's friend.

http://www.jstor.org/stable/24955730

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/01402398208437122?journalCode=fjss20

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00396338108441997?journalCode=tsur20

even so, from the wiki entry for neutron bomb...

"A neutron bomb, officially defined as a type of enhanced radiation weapon (ERW), is a low yield thermonuclear weapon designed to maximize lethal neutron radiation in the immediate vicinity of the blast while minimizing the physical power of the blast itself."

HA! Good Fun!

Make it take out Country-pop while you're at it too.

I'm not sure anything could remove that vermin.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

unfortunately for you, wikipedia appears to have won this round.

HA! Good Fun!