DONATIONS CLOSED - Brace yourselves, the Black isle Bastards are coming!

Let's create an item for the Black Isle Bastards! What kind of item should it be?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of unique equipment for the Black Isle Bastards should we fund with the "Create an item" tier?

2. 2. Should the special piece of equipment (completely or partly) be made of obsidian (if applicable)?

3. 3. Are you aware that voting here will achieve nothing since this campaign ended a very long time ago?

Thank you guys, I'm already feeling better :)

And I have just handed in your recognition entries, there are 27 of them.

It's Obsidian's turn now. I have given them all the input we gathered here, our ideas of the Black Isle Bastards, our ideas of the item and the recognition entries.

I would like to reiterate again, that Obsidian is free to change the recognition entries as they see fit. They can request also different entries or simply reject entries altogether without replacement. Above all else, the integrity of the game is most important. Our entries should not disturb that. They should not break the 4th wall.

So I asked Obsidian to check them thoroughly.

About the Black Isle Bastards and the item, as I said I did present our ideas, but at the same time I told Obsidian that we believe that they know best how to tell the stories of their games. Therefore, of course, there are also free to deviate from our ideas for the Black Isle Bastards and the item.

I'm curious and excited about what they are going to do with our Black Isle Bastards :)

I'll keep you updated should there be any news :)

• Like 9

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Thank you guys, I'm already feeling better :)

And I have just handed in your recognition entries, there are 27 of them.

It's Obsidian's turn now. I have given them all the input we gathered here, our ideas of the Black Isle Bastards, our ideas of the item and the recognition entries.

I would like to reiterate again, that Obsidian is free to change the recognition entries as they see fit. They can request also different entries or simply reject entries altogether without replacement. Above all else, the integrity of the game is most important. Our entries should not disturb that. They should not break the 4th wall.

So I asked Obsidian to check them thoroughly.

About the Black Isle Bastards and the item, as I said I did present our ideas, but at the same time I told Obsidian that we believe that they know best how to tell the stories of their games. Therefore, of course, there are also free to deviate from our ideas for the Black Isle Bastards and the item.

I'm curious and excited about what they are going to do with our Black Isle Bastards :)

I'll keep you updated should there be any news :)

I, too, am curious, excited, and also have this curious sense of elation. I feel as if, in some small way, I helped to make this game.

That's a wonderful feeling. I can't wait to see how this works out. :-D

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Merry Meet!

Could be too late for this butt... in case it is all good.  :bow: 

Well if you want an epic item that would say "bad'ass pirate" to everyone?  It is quiet obvious that the answer is to imitate the quintessential pirate Kaptain Jakk Sparrow.  Give every pirate that is a member their own version, of his majikal compass.  The one that always tells him the direction of what he wants most...?...  Yeah that one would scream "I am an epic bad'ass pirate of awesome'sauce".  That is meant to be free of sarcasm B.T.W.

That is one of the things I love about World of Warcraft, the countless tongue-in cheek parodies that they have while questing in their game.  Such as all the questing in the entire "zone" of [Thousand Needles] is a parody of Star Wars: The Phantom Menace.  And yes I like to write in colors.

Grateful for you choosing to share your Gravity, am I.  May you ask the Goddess to eternally alight your self-determined path.

Sincerely,

Ahoy everyone,

We did it. WE DID IT! Not only will Obsidian give us a Black Isle for free but we also managed to fund raise the Black Isle Bastards pirate group. This was quite a ride and I would like to thank everyone who has pledged to our cause. Thank you very, very much!

Meanwhile word about the nefarious Black Isle Bastards has spread throughout Deadfire Archipelago and beyond. Even Pallegina, Edér and Aloth have heard rumors about them.

So now that we have our island and our pirate group you may wonder what is left to do? The icing on top of the cake, that’s what’s missing! And therefore we would like to equip the Black Isle Bastards with a unique item in the game.

So once more I ask for your support. Let us give them a treasure worthy of an infamous pirate group!

In order to decide on what kind of special item we could give to the Black Isle Bastards that is what this poll is for. Please note, that the vote is not anonymous because I might consider the votes of members who actually pledged for this cause to be more important than the votes of those who do not support this cause.

Disclaimer: I am the sole person who is collecting the funds and who is responsible for the donations. Obsidian Entertainment is not involved in these donations in any way, however they are fully supportive of this project. Donating here will NOT give you a copy of the game (exceptions may apply as specified in the F.A.Q.).

9UE3Oxw.jpg

(This artwork was commissioned  from TariToons also known as Buttercheese on this forum.)

F.A.Q.:
1.) What exactly would I be pledging for?
A: You would be helping us to crowd fund a special item for our pirate crew who call themselves the “Black Isle Bastards” for Pillars of Eternity 2. Donating here will NOT give you a copy of the game (exceptions may apply as seen under question 8, 9 and 10).

2.) How do you make sure that your backer made content fits into the game world and does not break immersion?
A: We are going to give Obsidian only a rough idea on our pirate crew. We will let Obsidian Entertainment then work out the details themselves to ensure that our pirate crew fits seamlessly into the game and its lore. Similarly, Obsidian will make sure that our special piece of equipment is going to fit seamlessly into the game.

3.) Will there be a Black Isle in the game?
A: Yes, that has already been confirmed.

4.) How large in size is the Black Isle going to be?
A: It is going to be a tiny island. And it would only be able to support one structure on it at most. A ship does count as a structure in this context.

5.) I saw that there is an option to pledge an additional 8$ to get a "Black Isle Bastards" forum badge. Is that money used to crowd fund the pirate crew in the game or the special piece of equipment for the Black Isle Bastards?
A: No, it is not used that way. The "Black Isle Bastards" forum badge is funded independently from the "Black Isle Bastards" pirate crew and the item.

6.) Why do the $8 for the BIB forum badge not count for the crowd funding of the Black Isle Bastards or the item?
Originally we had planned on crowd funding an island. We would have had to raise $5000 for the "Black Isle" but then Obsidian decided to give us, their community, the "Black Isle" for free, as a gift. The BIB forum badge serves as a token of appreciation and a thank you to Obsidian for giving us an island for free.

7.) How much money have you raised to incorporate the “Black Isle Bastards” into the game?
A: 5000$! Thank you everyone who contributed for this! The Black Isle Bastards have been funded!

8.) What are you collecting money for now?
A: We are going to try to fund an item for the Black Isle Bastards for which we need to raise additional $750. If we don't manage to collect these $750, then we will use the surplus money to buy additional game copies and put them into a lottery for our donators.

9.) What happens with the other rewards (other than the pirate crew and the ship) on the tier "Build a Pirate Party" on the Fig campaign?
A: By default we will pass up on them. Only if there is a very generous donor to our cause who has donated considerably more to our overall collected money than any others then he or she will get all the additional rewards.

10.) What happens with the other rewards on the tier "Create an Item" on the Fig campaign?
The additional rewards from that tier go to the donator with the second highest amount of our overall collected money. If there are multiple donators who are close to be the second highest donator they can share the additional rewards but only if they can peacefully reach a agreement on who gets what.

11.) Is Obsidian Entertainment bound to the results of this poll?
No, they are not. The results of this poll serve as suggestions. However, Obsidian Entertainment can deviate from them if they think that that would be to the overall advantage of their game.

12.) How can I pledge for this?
You can't anymore. WE ARE FUNDED!!!

13.) Is there a deadline for when you need to have raised $5750 ?
A: Yes, the deadline is 25th April 2017 23:59 PM (GMT+2)

14.) What does Obsidian Entertainment think about your project? A: See for yourself:

grbHRno.png
PNtWM9X.png

15.) How much money have you raised so far for your cause?
Base goal: $5000 / $5000 (100% funded)
Stretchgoal ("Create an Item"): $750 / $750 (100% funded)

overall: $5846.06 / $5750
66 backers
biggest donation: $1998
donation on average: $88.58

16.) Will there be any ingame recognition for the donors of this project?
Currently, that is up for discussion. We are looking for creative, easy to implement ways, to give our donors recognition in the game while that must in no way break the fourth wall/immersion. Feel free to share your ideas on this!

17.) How are you going to contact the donors of this project?
For cases, that I need to reach donors specifically, I would send an email to the email address the donors provided on PayPal. If you have donated please make sure to always check that email address until this whole campaign has ended!

It's the choice of the creators of the World of warcraft to use lots of parodies and tongue-in-cheek references to things in real life in their game. Which is not what Obsidian did in PoE.

There are a few, but they're exactly that, rare, and they're usually pretty subtle since they keep it lore safe and relevant. Probably the best place to find parodies or references to real life things are in backer items. Obsidian made items might have some subtle reference to a RL thing in the item description, but it'd be very rare to see actual references to anything. The most obvious reference to anything real life is the Cloak of the Fox and Hunter, which is a backer created item.

There's also the animancy cat in Deadfire mentioned in update 39, which is a homage to Josh Sawyer's cat, Sesame.

That is one of the things I love about World of Warcraft, the countless tongue-in cheek parodies that they have while questing in their game.  Such as all the questing in the entire "zone" of [Thousand Needles] is a parody of Star Wars: The Phantom Menace.  And yes I like to write in colors.

There will be some tongue in cheek/parody references in game, but they are going to be subtle.  As in, unless you know what they are referencing, you won't even realize it is a parody.  They also probably won't be pop culture references a large number of people are likely to get.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Does this have to do with the pre-order bonus items (AKA The Captain's Footlocker)?

Nope. This was a collective sub-crowd funding project which has now been completed. The results should be available to everyone, all you've missed out on is the ability to influence them.

That's fine by me.  What was the outcome of the funding project? 

Fluffle's the person to ask but as far as I remember there'll be a small group of pirates somewhere in the game (the eponymous Black Isle Bastards) who will have in their possession a log of their victims (references the people who funded it) and there'll be a special piece of equipment as well.

• Like 4

So apparently people are voting again since this thread was "resurrected".

Well, yes. In the end this is part of being on the Internet. I have noticed, not only now but also throughout our campaign, that a few people simply skip the opening post. But that is not a phenomenon restricted to this thread. I have observed this behavior throughout many years on the Internet.

I refer to such people as the "notorious opening post skippers" (NOPS). I mean it lightheartedly in a teasing, funny way though. I hope no one takes offense. I have simply accepted this as being part of the Internet.

In our case, here, it doesn't matter since the results were handed in a long time ago. I will rather take it as a compliment that our campaign still piques interest in people :)

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

"Ouh... a poll!" *votes*

"What's it about?"

"Huh? How am I supposed to know?" :p

That's how I imagine how it goes :grin:

• Like 2