Dear Leferd, I have good news for you!

Valsuelm

Donald Trump is going to be a one term President, at most.

I hope you're ready for President Oprah Winfrey!

Cheers,

Valsuelm

And the campaign begins....

https://twitter.com/nbc/status/950172700625915904

http://beta.latimes.com/entertainment/gossip/la-et-mog-golden-globes-oprah-president-20180107-story.html

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/oprah-winfrey-golden-globes-2018-speech-1072351

This **** is really getting too easy to predict.... scarily so....

If I was the devil: laughably so.... :fdevil:

I think we've had enough celebrity presidents thank you very much.

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I think we've had enough celebrity presidents thank you very much.

Nah that's the future. Well either that or soldiers (debatable which is preferable)

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Kind of hard to have a soldier win an election when we haven't had any clear victories lately.

Well a soldier will bring those, as clearly it's them civilians stopping us from winning the wars. But anyway, soldiers/generals seem like something one can build a cult of personality around (see Mattis) as a lot of people think being a soldier is inherently heroic.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The track record of career military going into the Presidency is not impressive. Washington is probably the best. Jackson and Eisenhower did OK most people agree. Grant, Taylor, Pierce, Arthur, & Hayes not so much. Garfield was assassinated before he could do anything so it's hard to say with him.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The track record of career military going into the Presidency is not impressive. Washington is probably the best. Jackson and Eisenhower did OK most people agree. Grant, Taylor, Pierce, Arthur, & Hayes not so much. Garfield was assassinated before he could do anything so it's hard to say with him.

Teddy Roosevelt certainly counts as a soldier, and he managed at least one brave feat on the battlefield (with his Rough Riders - I love that name), if this source is to be trusted:

http://www.theodore-roosevelt.com/trsoldier.html

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

It's going to be Zuckerberg/Kanye West in 2020. Mark my words.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

There have been plenty who fought in wars and didn't make a career of being a soldier though. WWII and Vietnam primarily since the draft was involved in those.

Yes, I was referring to career military men who became President either right out of uniform or shortly thereafter.

Thomas Sowell

Ah yes... I knew we discussed this kind of thing not too long ago. See post 109: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/93292-politics-episode-9-the-lurking-fear/page-6?do=findComment&comment=1926488

et's see,

•     Hoover was a Quaker and never served in the military for religious reasons
  •     FDR missed WWI was was SecNav before becoming President. No draft in his day.
  •     Truman served in the Army and National Guard as an artilleryman in WWI
  •     Eisenhower was a career military man and the Supreme Allied Commander of Europe in WW2
  •     Kennedy was a naval officer and PT boat commander in WW2
  •     Johnson was too young for WWI and too old for WW2 so he never served but there was no draft.
  •     Nixon was a Navy officer and served in the Pacific in WW2
  •     Ford was also a Naval Officer and served in the Pacific in WW2.
  •     Carter was a Navy man and Submariner. He served in both the Atlantic and Pacific fleets in the '50's
  •     Reagan was an enlisted man in the Army when WW2 started. He was later commissioned and served in the Army Air Corps.
  •     George HW Bush was a Navy fighter pilot during WW2.
  •     Bill Clinton was given draft deferments for college. When his number was coming up he used influence from Democrat Senator William Fullbright to get an ROTC appointment he never reported to. He didn't actually "dodge" the draft. But he came real close to doing it.
  •     George W Bush used family influence to get in the Air National Guard.
  •     Barack Obama missed all the wars. The draft was over. He never served in the military.
  •     Donald Trump got four deferments for college and failed the draft physical during Vietnam. 
So no presidents ever actually dodged the draft... but the military service bar sure has sunk.
  • Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Thought there was a draft in WW2 for the US - https://www.sss.gov/About/History-And-Records/Induction-Statistics

10 MM in WW 2, dang.

Also, Johnson did serve in the US Naval Reserve, for what that's worth and did see some action in WW2. Although it seems that he was just on a 'fact finding' mission but somehow ended up getting a Silver Star :p

Edited by Malcador

There was no draft when Johnson was of an age to be drafted. He was in his 30's when WWII started.

Thomas Sowell

As for Oprah running, I'd wait until she actually declares a run.

Sure, she is famous, it would be hard for Trump to land a good nickname, and she definetly has qualities that would make a good diplomat. But does she have the skills? Trump is probably a poor metric to go by due to the 'sample size of one' problem, but still.

Oh ok, well you wrote "there was no draft" and I could have sworn there was one - funnily enough the first evidence of that is Edith Bunker in my mind - didn't take that to mean there was no draft for him.

There was no draft when Johnson was of an age to be drafted. He was in his 30's when WWII started.

You are mistaken.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_Training_and_Service_Act_of_1940

... and some will still say that the U.S. was a peace loving nation who only got into WW2 because it was attacked unprovoked by the Japanese Empire, and that the attack was even a surprise.

"Oh the stuff they teach people in schools! Or is it the stuff they don't teach people in schools? Either way... Ha! Ha! Ha!!! Ha!!!!" - :fdevil:

Also, Johnson was in the military.

Edited by Valsuelm

Johnson actually did serve for a few years in WWII. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyndon_B._Johnson#Active_military_duty_(1941%E2%80%9342)However, it says he was appointed, which I'm not sure is the same as being drafted, and he was there in an observer role rather than combat role. edit: He actually wanted a combat assignment but wasn't given one.

Edited by smjjames

Service guarantees citizenship

The parallels with the Roman Empire get stronger and stronger every day...

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.