Politics 2017 part 4

Hurlshort

More and more I have been considering a retirement life disconnected from the internet and everything else too. Lately I've been fascinated by the notion of a completely self sufficient home with no utilities, bills, etc. An added bonus to that kind of life is completely safe from the prying eyes of "Big Brother". Unless they felt a need to use drones or human agents to watch me.

They could literally force me to strap a GoPro to my wang before I would go live off the grid. :lol: "Privacy" aint that important to me.

If I ever disappear from the forums you'll know I went "grizzly Adams"! :lol:

Or got a bullet in the head from the Leftists.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

More and more I have been considering a retirement life disconnected from the internet and everything else too. Lately I've been fascinated by the notion of a completely self sufficient home with no utilities, bills, etc. An added bonus to that kind of life is completely safe from the prying eyes of "Big Brother". Unless they felt a need to use drones or human agents to watch me.

They could literally force me to strap a GoPro to my wang before I would go live off the grid. :lol: "Privacy" aint that important to me.

Oh I doubt that will happen. but if it did, trust me it will make the news. Unless they manage to sneak up on me is some way I won't be the only one to die that day. With all my firearms, countermeasures I've placed around my home, and an absolute committed willingness to use them I figure I'll give a good account of myself the day that happens.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Oh I doubt that will happen. but if it did, trust me it will make the news. Unless they manage to sneak up on me is some way I won't be the only one to die that day. With all my firearms, countermeasures I've placed around my home, and an absolute committed willingness to use them I figure I'll give a good account of myself the day that happens.

do you got mine field around house or what? xD

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Nothing quite like that. But let's say it would be very difficult to sneak up on me.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The boldened bit made me a wee bit scared of you. :p

I wouldn't go off grid though, I'm trying to change things instead to stop them from doing these things.

It isnt a big deal losing what you think is privacy, you have been told your whole life " you need your privacy " or " your privacy is your personal obligation " ..says who? You will be fine  if sometimes people are able to check your status and monitor certain Internet traffic, and yes this does mean you will have to accept there are people much clever than you who have your best interest in  mind. You can trust  me on this one  :geek:

But unless you are a terrorist, paedophile or other demented deviant of the dark web then you will have nothing to worry about

As much as the thought of Guard Dogs boobytraps scare me, this kind of ignorance terrifies me. :banghead:

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I wouldn't go off grid though, I'm trying to change things instead to stop them from doing these things.

It isnt a big deal losing what you think is privacy, you have been told your whole life " you need your privacy " or " your privacy is your personal obligation " ..says who? You will be fine  if sometimes people are able to check your status and monitor certain Internet traffic, and yes this does mean you will have to accept there are people much clever than you who have your best interest in  mind. You can trust  me on this one  :geek:

But unless you are a terrorist, paedophile or other demented deviant of the dark web then you will have nothing to worry about

As much as the thought of Guard Dogs boobytraps scare me, this kind of ignorance terrifies me. :banghead:

What is ignorant about Internet security? Cyber-terrorism and extremists using the Internet is a real threat

You guys don't need to understand the precedent, its already working :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

What is ignorant about Internet security? Cyber-terrorism and extremists using the Internet is a real threat

real threat is if someone can overheat nuke reactor using internet. My browsing history is for sure no threat to anyone. Even if I am terrorist its not a threat - I am a threat if anything. You are sheep

Edited by Chilloutman

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

does it works? Any examples?

Say what?

Hah! You amuse me Bruce. I used to side with you. But right now, I am shocked at what you are saying.

Our every move is tracked. Every single aspect of our lives are under close surveillance. There is literally we can do without at least three different institutions knowing about it. Privacy is non existent. This is an existential thread to freedom. And not only that everything we do is watched, no, the information gained can now be bought and sold, and we are not as much as compensated for it; needless to say asked for permission. This is the worst kind of exploitation! Our lives are monetarised without us having any influence over it. And indeed, the machine the gained wealth fuels is aimed solely at making us good customers that buy more and more products without thinking about what they are doing. By simply doing as much as living, we are dooming our freedom and integrity.

And now you tell us we should be thankful. For what? For being the puppet used to create the wealth of a few privileged? For being watched in our every step? For being ruled by a government that at times is nothing but the extended arm of the upper class? Is this your idea of "responsible capitalism"?

It isnt a big deal losing what you think is privacy, you have been told your whole life " you need your privacy " or " your privacy is your personal obligation " ..says who? You will be fine  if sometimes people are able to check your status and monitor certain Internet traffic, and yes this does mean you will have to accept there are people much clever than you who have your best interest in  mind. You can trust  me on this one  :geek:

GD I keep making this point and everyone ignores it, you wont be monitored all the time. You probably will never be monitored your whole life but it seems imprudent to want to distance yourself from modern conveniences because your government is concerned about the threat of cyber attacks 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Nothing quite like that. But let's say it would be very difficult to sneak up on me.

Just don't kill your mailman.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Challenge accepted. When the revolution comes, I'm starting with you ;)

Naaaaaaaaah... as if I would ever do that

Edited by Ben No.3

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

It exists in the heart of the Internet in the USA, the company  I work for is involved in integration

We have no access at all to that environment as it is a secure site and they are our customers 

John Milton 

It exists in the heart of the Internet in the USA, the company  I work for is involved in integration

We have no access at all to that environment as it is a secure site and they are our customers

so no examples right? Pretty much spending billions of cash to watch billions of people without no real reason

It isnt a big deal losing what you think is privacy, you have been told your whole life " you need your privacy " or " your privacy is your personal obligation " ..says who? You will be fine if sometimes people are able to check your status and monitor certain Internet traffic, and yes this does mean you will have to accept there are people much clever than you who have your best interest in mind. You can trust me on this one :geek:

It exists in the heart of the Internet in the USA, the company I work for is involved in integration

You don't NEED to understand what we are doing. Trust us. We are good. It's gonna be okay. We gonna keep you safe.

God Bruce, do you even support democracy? Do you like freedom?

Explain to me how constant surveillance can benefit democracy, and I will show you a lying man . I made my case. Bruce, I hate to say it, but it appears you are part of the problem.

Edited by Ben No.3
  • Like 1

And everybody knows

so no examples right? Pretty much spending billions of cash to watch billions of people without no real reason

I have no idea how much a project like Prism costs but yes easily $20-50 Billion, check out this slide 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_(surveillance_program)#/media/File:Cover_slide_of_PRISM.jpg

But remember Prism and other surveillance systems, like I gained access to, aren't used all the time 

It isnt a big deal losing what you think is privacy, you have been told your whole life " you need your privacy " or " your privacy is your personal obligation " ..says who? You will be fine if sometimes people are able to check your status and monitor certain Internet traffic, and yes this does mean you will have to accept there are people much clever than you who have your best interest in mind. You can trust me on this one :geek:

It exists in the heart of the Internet in the USA, the company I work for is involved in integration

You don't NEED to understand what we are doing. Trust us. We are good. It's gonna be okay. We gonna keep you safe.

Explain to me how constant surveillance can benefit democracy, and I will show you a lying man . I made my case. Bruce, I hate to say it, but it appears you are part of the problem.

I absolutely support the principles of Democracy and all the other examples of Western culture like free speech and right to privacy . I would never have ever changed any of these but forces of chaos and extremism descended on the West at 9/11 

I think its a good thing you were too young to remember that day and the years that followed.It was a time of war and ideological conflict and many people died defending the right of the West to be as it is 

And now we are in the year 2017 and the war on Islamic  extremism is going very well for countries opposed to groups like ISIS. Most of us live in countries that are Western and we have very good lives that use the foundation of what defines the West like freedom of speech and laws that protect your sexual orientation. We don't get arrested for criticizing our governments, its okay to marry the same sex, we have working government services in most cases and opportunities to study and get a good job

Its a good life, a very good life. And what gets asked of you Bennie? Nothing really except for the normal things like taxes...its not like you are being sent to fight in Afghanistan 

So when you discover that a country like the USA has advanced active surveillance you should be grateful as now you can contribute towards your country by supporting this and if you not grateful  then you should just accept it as part of your citizen contribution

John Milton 

I have no idea how much a project like Prism costs but yes easily $20-50 Billion, check out this slide

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_(surveillance_program)#/media/File:Cover_slide_of_PRISM.jpg

But remember Prism and other surveillance systems, like I gained access to, aren't used all the time

I absolutely support the principles of Democracy and all the other examples of Western culture like free speech and right to privacy . I would never have ever changed any of these but forces of chaos and extremism descended on the West at 9/11

I think its a good thing you were too young to remember that day and the years that followed.It was a time of war and ideological conflict and many people died defending the right of the West to be as it is

And now we are in the year 2017 and the war on Islamic extremism is going very well for countries opposed to groups like ISIS. Most of us live in countries that are Western and we have very good lives that use the foundation of what defines the West like freedom of speech and laws that protect your sexual orientation. We don't get arrested for criticizing our governments, its okay to marry the same sex, we have working government services in most cases and opportunities to study and get a good job

Its a good life, a very good life. And what gets asked of you Bennie? Nothing really except for the normal things like taxes...its not like you are being sent to fight in Afghanistan

So when you discover that a country like the USA has advanced active surveillance you should be grateful as now you can contribute towards your country by supporting this and if you not grateful then you should just accept it as part of your citizen contribution

I won't.

I do not accept that there has to be surveillance.

I do not accept that there has to be inequality.

I do not accept that there has to be exploitation.

I do not accept that there has to be oppression.

I do not accept that there has to be pollution.

I do not accept that there has to be poverty.

I do not accept that there has to be a status quo.

I do not accept "human nature" as a reason or a excuse for anything.

I do not accept that anything is unchangable.

Yes, the west has produced a lot of achievements. Needless to say, there are a vast number of mistakes and flaws in many ways. Some mistakes we created ourselves, some are inherent to our society. But it is my firm believe that a freer, fairer and more egalitarian society is not only theoretically possible but realistically archivable.

It is laughable to say I should be thankful or even proud to be under surveillance. Privacy is an essential component of freedom. If I sacrifice my privacy, my freedom dies with it. If my privacy is sacrificed by the government, my freedom is taken from me. Thus, surveillance is nothing but oppression of the people by the government. I see no reason as to why in any way I should support such an practice.

The world you, Bruce, imagine is not one I wish to live in. You praise conformity with obviously bad circumstances, and I am not willing to follow this teaching. I am not willing to sacrifice my ideals in the name of defending these exact ideals. Bruce, I hope I see this world you praise replaced by something better. I believe in a world where we might finally realise that a good and healthy life is a right, not a privilege.

That you defend a broken system is not exactly helping the cause. But don't expect me to masochistically praise said system.

Edited by Ben No.3
  • Like 1

And everybody knows

And now we are in the year 2017 and the war on Islamic extremism is going very well for countries opposed to groups like ISIS. Most of us live in countries that are Western and we have very good lives that use the foundation of what defines the West like freedom of speech and laws that protect your sexual orientation. We don't get arrested for criticizing our governments, its okay to marry the same sex, we have working government services in most cases and opportunities to study and get a good job

So when you discover that a country like the USA has advanced active surveillance you should be grateful as now you can contribute towards your country by supporting this and if you not grateful then you should just accept it as part of your citizen contribution

I won't.

I do not accept that there has to be surveillance.

I do not accept that there has to be inequality.

I do not accept that there has to be exploitation.

I do not accept that there has to be oppression.

I do not accept that there has to be pollution.

I do not accept that there has to be poverty.

I do not accept that there has to be a status quo.

I do not accept "human nature" as a reason or a excuse for anything.

I do not accept that anything is unchangable.

Yes, the west has produced a lot of achievements. Needless to say, there are a vast number of mistakes and flaws in many ways. Some mistakes we created ourselves, some are inherent to our society. But it is my firm believe that a freer, fairer and more egalitarian society is not only theoretically possible but realistically archivable.

It is laughable to say I should be thankful or even proud to be under surveillance. Privacy is an essential component of freedom. If I sacrifice my privacy, my freedom dies with it. If my privacy is sacrificed by the government, my freedom is taken from me. Thus, surveillance is nothing but oppression of the people by the government. I see no reason as to why in any way I should support such an practice.

The world you, Bruce, imagine is not one I wish to live in. You praise conformity with obviously bad circumstances, and I am not willing to follow this teaching. I am not willing to sacrifice my ideals in the name of defending these exact ideals. Bruce, I hope I see this world you praise replaced by something better. I believe in a world where we might finally realise that a good and healthy life is a right, not a privilege.

That you defend a broken system is not exactly helping the cause. But don't expect me to masochistically praise said system.

Bennie I never said you would be under surveillance, I can give you an example but it cant be very specific due to the NDA

Lets say   a US Ranger team in Afghanistan  eliminates a Taliban unit and finds a certain cell phone number amongst all the information and documents 

This would get sent back to the USA and eventually a copy gets sent to the NSA. Now then NSA  would wait for approval or maybe a sign of a impending attack and then a filter would be created throughout the USA  on the Internet and its various applications in the USA  like Facebook

If this number is determined to have been used or someone tried to contact it raises a red flag and the US  can investigate 

But in order to do this you would have to analyze the flow of  data from all people in the USA including you but you would never know or be aware of this as a US  citizen

How is this a bad thing?

John Milton 

Just don't kill your mailman.

No danger there. I have a PO box!

Thomas Sowell

countermeasures I've placed around my home

Do you, by any chance, have anything against drone strikes?  :lol:

Not yet. But I have an engineering education and a wild imagination! :lol:

Thomas Sowell

• Like 2
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

This is another good news story for a better Trump presidency

Bannon has always concerned me 

John Milton 

Ok, I've been reading the news as well as forum comments here and elsewhere. It seems to me there is a problem with the whole Russia-Election Tampering-Spying on Trump- and Susan Rice thing. The problem is they are being combined into one story. They are not. They are four different stories.

• Did Russia interfere in the election?
  • Was the Obama Administration spying on Trump during the transition?
  • Were members of the Trump transition team in contact with Russians during the transition? If so to what end?
  • Were the names of transition team members illegally revealed following surveillance (legal surveillance or otherwise).

No what follows is strictly my own opinion based on what I've read and deduced.

• Did Russia interfere in the election? Yes, to a point. They were probably behind the hacking and document dump of the DNC. Although that doe not qualify as interfering with the election because the DNC is private institution, not a part of the Government or any state election agency. So the real question is did that affect the outcome? I'd have to say no. Donald Trump won because Hillary Clinton could not overcome all of her flaws and bad history. No outside interference changed that and t would be virtually impossible to "steal" as US election because it is so decentralized.
  • Was the Obama Administration spying on Trump during the transition? I seriously doubt it. However, some of the transition team members may have been players in an ongoing investigation of other things. This is much more likely.
  • Were members of the Trump transition team in contact with Russians during the transition? If so to what end? The first answer is yes. The second question does beg an answer and is worth looking into.
  • Were the names of transition team members illegally revealed following surveillance (legal surveillance or otherwise). Yes, no doubt about it. If their role in any kind of FBI or DOJ investigation was incidental or if they were persons of interest they are still afforded rights and protections under the law. Rice violated that by outing them to the press no less. And she did it for purely partisan political reasons. And there should be a criminal penalty for that.
  • Like 2

Thomas Sowell

• Was the Obama Administration spying on Trump during the transition? I seriously doubt it. However, some of the transition team members may have been players in an ongoing investigation of other things. This is much more likely.
I'm sure it was pure coincidence that their conversations kept being intercepted without warrant and then their names unmasked by Obama's hatchet woman and designated liar. http://www.nationalreview.com/article/446415/susan-rice-unmasking-trump-campaign-members-obama-administration-fbi-cia-nsa Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan