Community Pirate Order! Unique forum badge

Corsairs of the Obsidian Sea rings well.

Oh yes, I like that one too!

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Môr-leidr? Foghlaí mara?  (I can't remember which language Engwithan was inspired by)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

What is "Corsair", in Engwithan?

​EDIT:

Also, Corsairs of the Obsidian Ocean

Yes, yes, yes, YES! Well done we have the alliteration on "O" back!

And at the same time it's something new! Best name so far!

Now, to my opinion, we would just need to see if it should be "Corsairs" or some other term for pirates.

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Now, to my opinion, we would just need to see if it should be "Corsairs" or some other term for pirates.

Technically, a pirate, corsairs and buccaneer aren't exactly the same thing. There is also Privateers.

Pirates: thieves with boats (Raiders are a subset, these attack town near the coast)

Privateers: Pirates that semi-work for a nation (i.e. get kinda protected by a nation in exchange of harassing their enemies).

Buccanneers: pirates and privateers active in the late 1600s. Started as smoked meat seller, moved to piracy because more $$$ to make.

Corsairs: British term for foreign Privateers

Edited by morhilane
  • Like 4

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Technically, a pirate, corsairs and buccaneer aren't exactly the same thing. There is also Privateers.

Pirates: thieves with boats (Raiders are a subset, these attack town near the coast)

Privateers: Pirates that semi-work for a nation (i.e. get kinda protected by a nation in exchange of harassing their enemies).

Buccanneers: pirates and privateers active in the late 1600s. Started as smoked meat seller, moved to piracy because more $$$ to make.

Corsairs: British term for foreign Privateers

Very insightful, thanks :)

So, what are going to be?

And as someone already pointed out, it would be nice to know some words for the above terms in the in game languages.

The Vailians and Rauatai have the largest naval presence in the archipelago. I suggest going Vailian which has more Latin roots.

I posted earlier my suggestion for Ordo Obsidianus - in keeping with the original Obsidian Order.

Why explicitly advertise the group's criminality with pirate names?

Edited by Leferd
  • Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I notice that many of you want to incorporate the "Obsidian Order" somehow in the new name. It's fine, it's a matter of taste.

Personally I am against that. The Obsidian Order is something for the first game. And I would like to see something fresh and new.

That's why I like the ending "of the Obsidian Ocean" so much.

It is new and yet it is a nod to the original Obsidian Order.

However, that is just a matter of opinion and taste, so absolutely no drama there from my side ;)

Edited by Fluffle
  • Like 4

What's the Obsidian Ocean? If referencing a geographical entity, there should be an actual consistency to the game world.

A Black Isle reference - as was previously suggested, could also work.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

What's the Obsidian Ocean? If referencing a geographical entity, there should be an actual consistency to the game world.

​Is the Obsidian Order of Eternity an actual community in Eora? (as far as we know~)

​Also, this is Option A, which was about Forum Badge and Forum Community.

​But it raises the question: Should the Option A pirate name be the same as the Option B pirate name?

​Is the Obsidian Order of Eternity an actual community in Eora? (as far as we know~)

Yes. Technically it is canon. Didn't you get your Obsidian Order cloak?

That may be a point.

However, the term "Obsidian Ocean" can just be a nick name for any ocean chosen by this very pirate crew.

So you don't actually need an actual Obsidian Ocean in the game world, at least to my opinion.

Maybe pirates do have their own nick names for oceans. It could be for encoding for example (or just for fun :p )

If a pirate crew says they're sailing to the "Obsidian Ocean" then non-members will not understand and cannot act on it.

Anyway, just one example.

I am sure, if you wanted to, you can find many reason why a pirate crew can call themselves "... of the Obsidian Ocean" without the need for an actual ocean called that way.

Edit: And why would "Black Isle" work but "Obsidian Ocean" would not?

Edited by Fluffle

Right! *palm meets face*

Obviously elusive enough. Exposed!

​Jokes aside, I completely forgot about the Cloak. The wiki entry, first time seeing.

Should we rename the Order after a ship type, then, say the Deadfire Dreadnought ... 

Deadfire Dreadnought* of the Obsidian Order?

​* Dreadnought is 1900's.

Edited by Osvir

The Vailians and Rauatai have the largest naval presence in the archipelago. I suggest going Vailian which has more Latin roots.

I posted earlier my suggestion for Ordo Obsidianus - in keeping with the original Obsidian Order.

Why explicitly advertise the group's criminality with pirate names?

Obsidianus marinarius oceanum?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Yes. Technically it is canon. Didn't you get your Obsidian Order cloak?

The in-game description (retrieved from a wiki):

"The Obsidian Order of Eternity is a secret organization. It is shrouded in mystery, with even the Hand Occult having few clues about their origins. Some scholars have speculated that the order's members are a diverse group from all over Eora, brought together by their love of exploration, fierce battle and wondrous stories."

BTW, glad to hear the order will be kind of revived  :grin: . Will donate my extra 8$ and become the cartographer of the ship  ;)

I'm just a lurker drowned in books, proudly serving the

I notice that many of you want to incorporate the "Obsidian Order" somehow in the new name. It's fine, it's a matter of taste.

Personally I am against that. 

am in agreement.  got infinite possibilities and yet most offerings sound far too similar.  am actual not a fan o' any naming relying on "obsidian" and/or "order."  

the brotherhood of fuligin sails

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Black Isle implies a volcano?

​So an Obsidian Ocean would be the area around the volcano?

​Is the Black Isle an island... or a floating volcano pirate ship?

​Sailors and traders all across the sea tell the tales of the terror of the floating mountain, the Black Isle. It turns water to stone, obsidian, and the air to scorching mist, and darkens the skies. That, my friend, is why they call it the Obsidian Ocean.

EDIT:

Personally I am against that. 

am in agreement.  got infinite possibilities and yet most offerings sound far too similar.  am actual not a fan o' any naming relying on "obsidian" and/or "order."  

the brotherhood of fuligin sails

HA! Good Fun!

​Agreed, but there's Pillars of Eternity and Pillars of Eternity 2.

​I thought this idea of Pirate Badges/Forum was a sort of Obsidian Order 2. Unless this is its own thing.

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 1

I just can't put anus and Obsidian in the same word.

Hahahahahaaaaaa....didn't even notice that in the faux latin.

The Black Rock Mariners?

Sailors from the Lost Island (Nautae in insulam amissa)?

The Lava Born Brood?

Is siblinghood a word ... just because girls. 

is a fair point

camorra? guild? ring? conspiracy?

kinda like camorra and ring.

HA! Good Fun!

ps with "ring" instead o' order, perhaps we might see a literal ring in the game.  just a thought.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Black Isle implies a volcano?

​So an Obsidian Ocean would be the area around the volcano?

​Is the Black Isle an island... or a floating volcano pirate ship?

​Sailors and traders all across the sea tell the tales of the terror of the floating mountain, the Black Isle. It turns water to stone, obsidian, and the air to scorching mist, and darkens the skies. That, my friend, is why they call it the Obsidian Ocean.

Thank you :wub:

Indeed you could call the area around a volcano or several volcanoes an Obsidian Ocean.

Is siblinghood a word ... just because girls. 

is a fair point

camorra? guild? ring? conspiracy?

kinda like camorra and ring.

HA! Good Fun!

ps with "ring" instead o' order, perhaps we might see an actual ring in the game.  just a thought.

Camorra reminds me of all the late 60s and 70s tv shows trying to find alternate words to use instead of "the mob" (most just went with 'Syndicate').