Game engine and performance concerns - dev response?

Unity is indeed, a great engine. Hated by many who fail at being familiar with many other titles which use it.

If I'm being honest, just one of those things where Obsidian isn't the best at utilizing custom or licensed engine which is the issue. Unity is not the excuse, Obsidian's poor programming management and optimization skills are but we can hope that Deadfire is much better as they have learned alot since the first game.

As it were, Unity has seen some of the best looking titles to date - whether 2D or 3D games, up to par with any Unreal or Crytek engine game we can name but don't tell people who hate Unity that, instead just tell them to look up Youtube videos. The real power that Unity Engine possesses is that it's the easiest emgine to outsource to any given platform. Wanna transfer your game to be playable on Android? 3... 2... 1... BAM!

But yeah, no problems on my system, sorry that you guys had a horrible experience. I was one of the lucky ones :)

If we can do anything to help, let us know!

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I recall having some trouble in certain very specific areas. I believe on the second level of Caed Nua I had a fight in an area where the FPS always dropped to just barely playable. Very strange. Every else on this level was alright.

Other than that I had no performance issues, beyond rare crashes.

I think it might be a very individual problem with some setups. That is rather tragic for the player, but not very common. You are right though, a game like PoE should not have performance issues at all. But optimization is a tricky thing.

The performance issues described by OP are clearly not expected behavior. Likely some sort of bug with the specific software/hardware configuration.

Personally, I didn't encounter problems like this across multiple playthroughs of PoE and Tyranny, about half of them in 4k, too, on a more modest PC (i5 2400, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, Radeon R9 Nano). For me loading times always are the biggest gripe.

• Like 2

I think performance issues might be CPU related. Even on machines that--relative to PoE--are beasts, sometimes in combat under certain situations I get jittery frame rates. And I have to suspect it's due to some runaway CPU-related computations (probably physics), not graphics, because honestly I don't know what on earth PoE could be throwing at my GPU to bog it down, whereas even today in certain older games I can become CPU-bound (Diablo 3, Starcraft 2) despite being able to run fallout 4 on ultra settings with buttery smooth frame rates.

Edited by thelee

I think performance issues might be CPU related. Even on machines that--relative to PoE--are beasts, sometimes in combat under certain situations I get jittery frame rates. And I have to suspect it's due to some runaway CPU-related computations (probably physics), not graphics, because honestly I don't know what on earth PoE could be throwing at my GPU to bog it down, whereas even today in certain older games I can become CPU-bound (Diablo 3, Starcraft 2) despite being able to run fallout 4 on ultra settings with buttery smooth frame rates.

It's inefficiencies and bottlenecks in code that cause performance issues - the fact that Pillars doesn't use anywhere near 100% CPU or GPU but still manages to run extremely poorly in certain situations in game.  I have a lot of highly demanding games on my PC (and the one before it) and NONE of them run anywhere near as badly as Pillars does.

• Like 1

I ran through the first game on an ancient GTX460 without noticing any performance issues at all, so I have the distinct feeling that raw hardware power does not have much to do with the issues some people are having. What we're looking at is probably not just regular inefficient code (pointless computational overhead would be slow for everyone) but something more complicated (e.g. crappy memory management on certain driver-card-OS combinations).

• Like 1