Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Game engine and performance concerns - dev response?

poor performance unity engine

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Skyleaf

Skyleaf

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Seriously? Tyranny is running into the same problems as all those other Unity Engine RPGs before it? Now I'm worried. That's one thing I truly find frustrating with PoE. the performance problems. I'm running DA:I and Battlefield 4 with no problems but 3 hours playing PoE slows my PC down to a crawl. Although, in a way I was able to monitor my gaming hours better since when the game starts to slow down, I would simply decide to stop for the day instead of restarting my PC.

Still, I hope the devs can assure us again like they did in the announcement video that they we won't have to deal with this typical Unity engine problem again.

For me, PoE worked better than Tyranny. It took sometimes 5-8 minutes to load an area in Tyranny, I don't remember the exact times in PoE, because I haven't played it in a couple of times, but they were a bit shorter. Locations with edicts active had an awful performance, I could barely move the party because the game was lagging more than I could have imagined. PoE didn't have such demanding areas, but I'm anxious each time Obsidian announces graphic improvements. I have to mention that my laptop barely meets the minimum requirements, but such problems won't stop me from playing :D 

Oh well, I think I can understand the reason behind the awful performance for Tyranny though. Afterall, the requirements for that game are higher than PoE.  ;)

Pharaun159

Pharaun159

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 56 posts

Straight from Fig:

Feargus
DEVELOPER
@Dimitrios S. - We are thinking about how to make Eternity II play well on as low machien specs as possible. While we have added a lot in the way of cool new graphics, we have also been optimizing as well. We've also optimized the non-graphics part of the engine (loading is WAY better now). We are pretty confident that Eternity II will run as well as Eternity I even with all the new stuff. Maybe better - but were not sure on that yet.

That statement doesn't instill confidence at all. It's just another way of saying "expect the same terrible performance".

This was the same impression i got.  The only time ive got the first game to run perfect was on a 16thread cpu and a 1080ti.  I never even knew about people having performance issues untill now.  Im running a 12 thread ryzen cpu and a 1060.  Im getting 25 fps in white march regardless of settings.  1080p lowest settings or max settings at 4k... 25ps... combat lowers that to freaking single digits.  What the hell?!

algroth

algroth

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1276 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Another vote for never having had any trouble with Pillars' performance. But I'm not sure what warrants this thread getting a necro 14 months after the last post.

Edited by algroth, 11 March 2018 - 05:54 PM.

• Wormerine likes this

Yosharian

Yosharian

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1033 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer

My i7 + 1080TI struggles to push Pillars 1 above 100 FPS

Justinian

Justinian

Judicious Dropbear of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 358 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Another vote for never having had any trouble with Pillars' performance. But I'm not sure what warrants this thread getting a necro 14 months after the last post.

Because to this day, Pillars still runs like a garbage heap on the most powerful of computers and the recent footage of Pillars 2 looks like a stuttery mess as well. Obsidian either have subpar programmers or are terrible at utilising Unity.

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2372 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Unity is indeed, a great engine. Hated by many who fail at being familiar with many other titles which use it.

If I'm being honest, just one of those things where Obsidian isn't the best at utilizing custom or licensed engine which is the issue. Unity is not the excuse, Obsidian's poor programming management and optimization skills are but we can hope that Deadfire is much better as they have learned alot since the first game.

As it were, Unity has seen some of the best looking titles to date - whether 2D or 3D games, up to par with any Unreal or Crytek engine game we can name but don't tell people who hate Unity that, instead just tell them to look up Youtube videos. The real power that Unity Engine possesses is that it's the easiest emgine to outsource to any given platform. Wanna transfer your game to be playable on Android? 3... 2... 1... BAM!

But yeah, no problems on my system, sorry that you guys had a horrible experience. I was one of the lucky ones :)

If we can do anything to help, let us know!

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

VincentNZ

VincentNZ

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 80 posts

I recall having some trouble in certain very specific areas. I believe on the second level of Caed Nua I had a fight in an area where the FPS always dropped to just barely playable. Very strange. Every else on this level was alright.

Other than that I had no performance issues, beyond rare crashes.

I think it might be a very individual problem with some setups. That is rather tragic for the player, but not very common. You are right though, a game like PoE should not have performance issues at all. But optimization is a tricky thing.

M4xw0lf

M4xw0lf

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 466 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The performance issues described by OP are clearly not expected behavior. Likely some sort of bug with the specific software/hardware configuration.

Personally, I didn't encounter problems like this across multiple playthroughs of PoE and Tyranny, about half of them in 4k, too, on a more modest PC (i5 2400, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, Radeon R9 Nano). For me loading times always are the biggest gripe.

• illathid and Wormerine like this

thelee

thelee

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I think performance issues might be CPU related. Even on machines that--relative to PoE--are beasts, sometimes in combat under certain situations I get jittery frame rates. And I have to suspect it's due to some runaway CPU-related computations (probably physics), not graphics, because honestly I don't know what on earth PoE could be throwing at my GPU to bog it down, whereas even today in certain older games I can become CPU-bound (Diablo 3, Starcraft 2) despite being able to run fallout 4 on ultra settings with buttery smooth frame rates.

Edited by thelee, 12 March 2018 - 10:37 AM.

Justinian

Justinian

Judicious Dropbear of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 358 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I think performance issues might be CPU related. Even on machines that--relative to PoE--are beasts, sometimes in combat under certain situations I get jittery frame rates. And I have to suspect it's due to some runaway CPU-related computations (probably physics), not graphics, because honestly I don't know what on earth PoE could be throwing at my GPU to bog it down, whereas even today in certain older games I can become CPU-bound (Diablo 3, Starcraft 2) despite being able to run fallout 4 on ultra settings with buttery smooth frame rates.

It's inefficiencies and bottlenecks in code that cause performance issues - the fact that Pillars doesn't use anywhere near 100% CPU or GPU but still manages to run extremely poorly in certain situations in game.  I have a lot of highly demanding games on my PC (and the one before it) and NONE of them run anywhere near as badly as Pillars does.

• AndreaColombo likes this

general_azure

general_azure

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 159 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I ran through the first game on an ancient GTX460 without noticing any performance issues at all, so I have the distinct feeling that raw hardware power does not have much to do with the issues some people are having. What we're looking at is probably not just regular inefficient code (pointless computational overhead would be slow for everyone) but something more complicated (e.g. crappy memory management on certain driver-card-OS combinations).

• illathid likes this

Wormerine

Wormerine

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2490 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

• SonicMage117 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: poor performance, unity, engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic