Where would Obsidian's Pathfinder license fit into all of this? Both Obs and Paizo have said repeatedly they want to do a Pathfinder-based crpg, and I imagine given Pathfinder's large fan-base they could easily either crowdfund it or find a big-name publisher to bankroll it, so ...?

Did they actually say that they wanted to do a Pathfinder cRPG?

[speculation hat] What if the mystery Unreal Engine project is a spiritual successor to NWN2, but set in the Pathfinder universe? [/speculation hat]   :)

HA! This is what I've been speculating on for months! :)

I think they could sell a Pathfinder-based game as a spiritual successor to NwN2, perhaps first-person, 3D, modular, with emphasis on moddability and DM tools. Then they can keep releasing official modules post-base game release, and we'd have fan-created modules available as well, just like with the NwN games.

And yes, they very specifically have said Pathfinder cRPG.

I've heard of the D20 issue, but I would bet WotC would be willing to provide a license for its use if necessary because I can't imagine they'd want to suffer even more negative press and fan reactions given where they're at right now. But what could keep them from being supportive is if they already have a similar concept game in the works using D&D rules, possibly the new Forgotten Realms game being developed by Beamdog. If so, then I think Pathfinder fans would accept Obs using the Pathfinder setting and lore but a different rules system if that's the only way to get a Pathfinder cRPG.

• Like 1

Where would Obsidian's Pathfinder license fit into all of this? Both Obs and Paizo have said repeatedly they want to do a Pathfinder-based crpg, and I imagine given Pathfinder's large fan-base they could easily either crowdfund it or find a big-name publisher to bankroll it, so ...?

Did they actually say that they wanted to do a Pathfinder cRPG?

[speculation hat] What if the mystery Unreal Engine project is a spiritual successor to NWN2, but set in the Pathfinder universe? [/speculation hat]   :)

As someone who can't get enough of this kind of stock basic Western CRPG setting, just speculating about it makes me positively giddy.

And the surveys Obsidian had us fill in a few weeks back were littered with certain specific questions about a CRPG of a certain brand. Oh, the joy...

And if a reasonably easy-to-use and free toolset would be added, my head would go ka-ploom!

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I would much rather see Josh's pet project of an historical RPG set in the antebellum south over a Pathfinder RPG. Pathfinder to me is just not that interesting, being nu-D&D and all.

Don't see why it needs to be either/or. Obs is a reasonably large company and they've often said they can do three major projects roughly at the same time. Me thinks the JES team will first do PoE2 and thereafter Sawyer's historical RPG project (which btw I'm excited by as well). The Cain/Boyarsky team I would guess is working on a vampire/werewolf game set in contemporary times. And then there's the Armored Warfare team which can transition to a Pathfinder cRPG. The smaller Tyranny and Pathfinder card game teams will continue to do follow-on work on those games. They can potentially do it all.

I know a lot of people who are tired of high fantasy. Some of them didn't get excited for Tyranny and are not even for PoE 2 neither(unlike me) and they are backers PoE1. I see people wanting Pathfinder cRPG here(I don't, I know nothing about PF and I'm getting tired of HF also) but I don't know if they are enough for Obs to make their third different high fantasy cRPG in a row. [if the gods won't answer]Its for Obs to decide naturally.

Also we don't know if AW team consists of RPG devs that can make an RPG comparable to PoE & Tyranny mostly on their own(They could need vets from other teams I guess). 

I'd rather see Obs make better quality games(AA>AAA) with bigger budgets(prev. profits + crowdfunding) with each iteration otherwise there are a lot of indie RPG devs, Obs would slowly be considered of them(Which is not necessarily a bad thing but yeah...). Edit: Unless they're making a 3rd Action RPG for consoles tho, ha! good fun!

Also Sawyer's historical RPG better be in 19th century otherwise PoE is also taking place in 15-16th century equivalent time frame. Seems like a bad idea, however different it would be.

Edited by Quillon

I seriously doubt they will do another Fallout. I wish we could have both. I really want to know what Beamdog is working on.

There may be a brutal problem of Bethesda not really interested in letting others use Fallout franchise, other than situacion when they screw so much, that need magic to keep interest in the world.

F4 was good enought, so they probably keep milking it themselves.

Obsidian could do Fallout series set in Europe. It would be geographically far enough from Bethesda's Fallouts so they both could do their own thing in peace.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Tbh I don't see Pillars as high fantasy. Just fantasy. Middle fantasy, maybe?... For me high fantasy is the japanese style or the old heroes of might and magic stuff. Magical creatures all over the place, good kings and evil lords etc.

Fampyrs, Vithraks, giant beetles and spiders, Animats (and other constructs), Undead, Dragons, Ogres, Elemental Blights, Spiritshifters, Drakes, Skuldrs, Trolls, and Xaurips aren't magical creatures?  At least by our world's definition?

Raedric isn't an evil Lord?  I guess there isn't a Good King equivalent unless that is your Watcher once established.

I mean, you see it how you see it, and far be it from me to judge.  To me, high fantasy is full of magic, and the classes in this game use a form of magic based around their souls.  The creatures are magic.  It has all the trappings, but is a little more gray in its subject matter than is typical. 

@kirottu -  You would still be looking at post apoc setting and all its same concepts regardless of the location.   The only thing that would make it different is accents, and some names.  Just to be clear, I am not dumping on the idea.  I think a Fallout-esque game on another continent would be cool.  I just don't think it would be too fundamentally different than the ones set in the USA.

It might be doable but 50s Americana is a big part of Fallout for me. But I haven't liked any of the new Fallouts so I'm probably not the target audience anyway

Same here, but I would try a post-apoc RPG with a different take on it.  I still don't think it will be fundamentally different, but a different style