First trip to Europe

redneckdevil

No wait, that's ****ing romania. lol

Dude, there is nothing like Czechoslovakia for 24 years now :)

Havel is Czech, not sure what that 'Chauchesko' is :)

This fun dude, I suppose. ;)

Ah Romania, ok, makes sense, not czech tho :)

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I would skip France personally but its up to you

First off I want to thank everyone for their suggestions and advice!

The 3 main places we have talked about is Ireland (every Irish man has to visit the motherland sometime right?), Venice because of the building and murals, and France (I'm half French but don't claim it, mainly the woman wants to go there because of the "love"). That's just counting Europe.

Mainly asking because wanted to broaden my choices.

Most likely due to funds, will try to go in "off" season whenever that is but I'm gonna guess maybe Oct-April due to the advice here.

I'll be quiet honest and I know it sounds silly, but I would love to go to place that's so different and alien than what I'm used to. Something completely new to me. Granted I may have to wait and go somewhere else for that but I won't let that stop me from having fun and being excited about Europe .

Now time to wait til I get off work and start checking out these places.

why are you asking, seems like you already got your plan :). If you want something alien i would suggest Africa or Asia, most alien would be probably eastern block for you

Lol tbh I would actually love to skip France but that's a place she's wanted to go. Granted I wouldn't mind going, I'd just rather visit other places.

Lol nope plans at all, just something me and her talked about last night and we have a window and dammit I'm jumping out that window finally! Lol.

Beautiful landscapes? The Alps come to mind. Centering your visit around them has the advantage of allowing you to visit a bunch of countries without traveling too far, one of which I'd say is a must if you're not planning to come back any time soon (Italy).

Beautiful buildings? I personally loved Prague. Cologne too. Italy has a ton of ruins all over which you should see (Pompeii!) which are technically "buildings" too. Venice is rather unique. And expensive as all hell. Never been to Antwerp myself but family members loved it.

Beautiful people? Don't go south beyond the Jutland Peninsula. Czechoslovakia is perhaps the exception to this. Also relevant to English: rule of thumb, the further you go down south, the less/worse people speak it.

UK recently seceded from Yurop so you won't have to bother. Another classic tourist destination used to be Crimea, but... Russians. I know literally nothing about Hungary. It's a country, right?

Czechoslovakia, oh cmon man

What? I said you people are beautiful.

edit: WTF? DDR merged with BRD?

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Cooooooooomeeee to us

No, really. We have some very attractive castles.But to be honest, there are four cities you need to visit: London, Paris, Athens and/or Rome. As a startermaybe London? The pound is getting cheaper by the day ( ;) ), most museums are free and everyone speaks english. Then Paris, Paris is simply one of (and in my opinion the most) beautiful city in Europe. Athens and Rome to take you into the old times, you don't get that in the states. Imagine walking around 2000 year old architecture and asking yoursel how this is more beautiful than 99.9% of todays stuff. Personally I prefer the greek style, I find the romans to be too glamerous in their architecture in comparison, but its a matter of taste.

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

We get it kirottu, you are able to memorise female names. Congrats

You're just mad, because I didn't mention Angela Merkel. She just a second rate Tarja Halonen.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

We get it kirottu, you are able to memorise female names. Congrats

You're just mad, because I didn't mention Angela Merkel. She just a second rate Tarja Halonen.

She surley was, until she opened the borders and kept them open. Now that is an admirable action

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

I'd recommend Poland in the spring.. Krakow (south) is extremely charming.

Poland offers a very concentrated central European experience, you have the slavic traditions mixed with the germanic. Churches, castles, metropolitan areas, beautiful nature - and best of all, the service is great and everything is cheap.

And they drink like the Irish/Scandinavian..

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

Beautiful landscapes? The Alps come to mind. Centering your visit around them has the advantage of allowing you to visit a bunch of countries without traveling too far, one of which I'd say is a must if you're not planning to come back any time soon (Italy).

Beautiful buildings? I personally loved Prague. Cologne too. Italy has a ton of ruins all over which you should see (Pompeii!) which are technically "buildings" too. Venice is rather unique. And expensive as all hell. Never been to Antwerp myself but family members loved it.

Beautiful people? Don't go south beyond the Jutland Peninsula. Czechoslovakia is perhaps the exception to this. Also relevant to English: rule of thumb, the further you go down south, the less/worse people speak it.

UK recently seceded from Yurop so you won't have to bother. Another classic tourist destination used to be Crimea, but... Russians. I know literally nothing about Hungary. It's a country, right?

Czechoslovakia, oh cmon man

What? I said you people are beautiful.

edit: WTF? DDR merged with BRD?

dude, google it :)

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

The 3 main places we have talked about is Ireland (every Irish man has to visit the motherland sometime right?), Venice because of the building and murals, and France (I'm half French but don't claim it, mainly the woman wants to go there because of the "love"). That's just counting Europe.

Most likely due to funds, will try to go in "off" season whenever that is but I'm gonna guess maybe Oct-April due to the advice here.

I'll be quiet honest and I know it sounds silly, but I would love to go to place that's so different and alien than what I'm used to. Something completely new to me. Granted I may have to wait and go somewhere else for that but I won't let that stop me from having fun and being excited about Europe .

I've had some people recommend France to me, but they all speak french fluently. Those that don't speak french hated it, "was lovely as long as you did'nt meeting any french people", was the gist of it.

I have a hard time imagining a place in Europe that is truly foreign and alien, I'd look to asia for something like that :p

I've been planning a trip to Ukraine and Chernobyl with some friends though I am a bit hesitant because of, well, things that happened the last years, but it's something cool to see that I doubt many people can claim. So if you have any interest in such things, that might be worth looking into.

Bulgaria has interested me a few times aswell, I'd like to see some of the Thracian tombs they've got there and the city Nessebar.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I've had some people recommend France to me, but they all speak french fluently. Those that don't speak french hated it, "was lovely as long as you did'nt meeting any french people", was the gist of it.

I have a hard time imagining a place in Europe that is truly foreign and alien, I'd look to asia for something like that :p

I've been planning a trip to Ukraine and Chernobyl with some friends though I am a bit hesitant because of, well, things that happened the last years, but it's something cool to see that I doubt many people can claim. So if you have any interest in such things, that might be worth looking into.

Bulgaria has interested me a few times aswell, I'd like to see some of the Thracian tombs they've got there and the city Nessebar.

Tyvm for the suggestions. Funny thing that's what I've heard and reason why I'm not keen on France when I have other options lol. I've heard that it's beautiful but that the people have a natural snobby "****" vibe. Since I'm half French, half Irish, and all American, I've been told it's my French side that makes me such a good **** lol.

• Like 1

Well thing with France is - they don't like English speaking people :)

Having lived in Paris and traveled quite extensively in France, I think that's bull**** to be honest.. It was true 15 years ago sure, but today all of them speak English fairly well, are interested in the world beyond their own country. 

Parisians can tend to be uptight, much in the same way Londoners can - but that's about it.

Fortune favors the bald.

If you do come to Greece, season starts around April and can go through to October. March can already be a nice time if you are here for the sights and not the beaches.

If you go to Germany it is worth looking into a Bahnkarte for the discount on train tickets - it makes roaming the country far more feasible. When I went to Germany in November for 9 days, I got a card on the second day and it had paid for itself and saved me money with my second train ticket (and only because the first ticket was only a hop skip and jump).

It is worth doing a bit of research into more countries than you initially plan to go and keep an open mind when you get to Europe, as you may want to adjust plans on a whim. I've had guests who decided to leave a Greek island and do a quick trip to Rome. I've had guests who came to Athens last minute because "they could".

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Having lived in Paris and traveled quite extensively in France, I think that's bull**** to be honest.. It was true 15 years ago sure, but today all of them speak English fairly well, are interested in the world beyond their own country. 

Parisians can tend to be uptight, much in the same way Londoners can - but that's about it.

I don't say they don't know English, I am saying they don't like it. I was there few years ago on skiing trip, I know what I am talking about :)

Tyvm for the suggestions. Funny thing that's what I've heard and reason why I'm not keen on France when I have other options lol. I've heard that it's beautiful but that the people have a natural snobby "****" vibe. Since I'm half French, half Irish, and all American, I've been told it's my French side that makes me such a good **** lol.

If you've got some green, and are going in the winter, you could look at going to the Ice Hotel in northern Sweden . It's pretty pricey, and besides some impressive arctic climate and aurora borealis there is'nt that much to see up there, but we have some museums further south.

Well, I've been told that by a french coworker, even she dislikes the general attitude to english of her countrymen :p

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken