You dang Colonials...

Raithe

UK has done **** for Kanadians. they aren't loyal to me or my fellows. They were slavers. They were the very thing they oppose the EU for. I am loyal to Kanada to a degree but I have no loyalty to a country that is so far away. The only reason why Kanada is a country is because Britian feared another War of Independence in the Amerikas.

Is that true about the UK? Cananda is part of the Commonwealth and it always adheres to its historical commitments to the UK like when the Queen visits so there is some connection?

And the whole slavery accusation is just a distraction, the UK always gets blamed for certain historical things they did. Some people only see the negative

I hear this almost everyday, my ancestors came to Africa from the UK and I am accused of slavery, imperialism, colonialism, Apartheid, war-mongering, looting of resources and other things. Now in the history of the UK like every Colonial country yes thats part of the past but the UK has redeemed itself and nowadays is a force of good

Why would you be going on about slavery....were your ancestors slaves?

Canada was founded by the British loyalists who fled the US after the revolution. Along with the french Canadians who were vilified in the US because of the British codifying their rights to catholicism and their language and culture in law. There had always been an affinity for the UK in Canadian life, which is why the fathers of Confederation kept the monarchy, and the constitution of 1982 did the same.

Yeah the UK screwed us in the Alaska negotiations, and accepting the 49th parallel as the border between the US and Canada (British controlled territory was all the way into the dakotas and the Columbia river), but they did that to avoid a war that would have likely ravaged Canada, so its ok.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Vol, you might like to call us slavers, but to be fair, the English Navy were pretty much the first enforcers of the anti-slavery laws. We were ahead of the French that way. And French-canadians are always annoyed over that whole war and fort surrender thing....

But onto the not-so serious stuff..

should probably keep it light, 'cause your history is suspect.  

http://origins.osu.edu/review/after-abolition-britain-and-slave-trade-1807

britain continued to be involved in slavery long after it passed its anti-slave laws, and it profited from involvement with slavers much, much longer still. 

HA! Good Fun!

ps am not holding up the US as some kinda shining abolitionist beacon... obviously.  

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Sorry.

Don't hate us because we're beautiful.  Hate us because we're larger and wealthier than you.  :lol:

I have to agree, every time i've travelled over to the states i've noticed how much larger you people are.

While drinking with some acquaintances back in the eighties I was nudged and told, "Your round!"

I stood myself up foursquare and tall and said to the porcine gentleman, "No you're round friend, however i'll go and get the drinks in."

Had rather a good laugh about it after he'd stopped chasing me, and had a sit down and a breather for half an hour.

That's pretty offensive mate. But not wrong.

It's strange because of the variety in my opinion, the fittest people i've ever met have been Americans, and yet at the same time the most unhealthy have also been from the states. It seems to be a country of extremes.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

It's strange because of the variety in my opinion, the fittest people i've ever met have been Americans, and yet at the same time the most unhealthy have also been from the states. It seems to be a country of extremes.

As an American who went from fat to fit, that's true. If I were to name a cause for the unhealthy I'd say it's due to the saturation of unhealthy food everywhere and a lack of time(and will) to exercise with the 8 hour shifts and hour+ commutes to and from work.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

"Why would you be going on about slavery....were your ancestors slaves?"

Even worse. They were mostly French. :d

But, one does not need to have been a slave to know that slavery is wrong.... mmmkayyy?

And, trust me, if I had any influence I would abolish anything to do with the Nazi Queen in my country.

Oh okay, fair enough ...okay I understand now

You from French descent but why do you say the Queen is a Nazi?

That makes no sense ....what am I missing?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

How come you have never shared that...what was it lik

Hadn't come up. It was drab. Once an American naval ship put in for a visit. To me the Americans looked like pudgy pink piglets. To them we must have looked grey and cadaverous.

WOD  this is a huge development. I cant believe you only raising this now , this changes or adds context to everything you have said around politics....this is a huge update. You have had debates with our friends in the EU and I always assumed your knowledge was just about Texas but this really adds to the narrative 

But if its okay I have many questions but not now, do you mind answering questions at a later stage?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

As an American who went from fat to fit, that's true. If I were to name a cause for the unhealthy I'd say it's due to the saturation of unhealthy food everywhere and a lack of time(and will) to exercise with the 8 hour shifts and hour+ commutes to and from work.

As part of probably the fattest nation (who used to be) in Europe I agree, and would also add that the convenience and sedentary nature of modern life also adds to the expanding waistline of our respective countries. Life is just so much easier now, for entertainment one does not have to even leave the house, one does not have to move from the couch to change a channel on the telly, food can be prepared in minutes or ordered, and all together I think we have become somewhat a victim of our own ingenuity.

I remember as a boy playing outside for hours, running up the local slag heap with a bucket to scrounge chunks of coal for the fire, running to the shops if we were out of something, or digging vegetables up from the allotment. Compared to those days, even with the busy workout schedule I maintain and my reliance on walking, I do not think I am expanding half as much energy.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Hadn't come up. It was drab. Once an American naval ship put in for a visit. To me the Americans looked like pudgy pink piglets. To them we must have looked grey and cadaverous.

WOD  this is a huge development. I cant believe you only raising this now , this changes or adds context to everything you have said around politics....this is a huge update. You have had debates with our friends in the EU and I always assumed your knowledge was just about Texas but this really adds to the narrative 

But if its okay I have many questions but not now, do you mind answering questions at a later stage?

I don't mind answering questions, but depending on what they are you might PM me, as not everyone may be interested in that kind of exchange.
  • Like 1

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I don't mind answering questions, but depending on what they are you might PM me, as not everyone may be interested in that kind of exchange.

But I'm not sure why you think this is not interesting to any member who has the even the slightest interest in politics and history

I will be very surprised if anyone says " stories about actual life in the USSR dont concern me " 

John Milton 

13620234_1130970670307522_90529600171979

Raithe :lol:

This joke is awful, do you think our American friends find this funny?

Oh and I'm not suggesting you are the only who doesn't understand what Americans find funny....no one ever seems to laugh at my jokes or assumes Im being serious and then sometimes people get really irritated with me  :teehee:

And we cant both be unfunny ?

John Milton 

Why wouldn't that be funny?

Oh, okay so it is funny....I suppose we all have different sense of humor  :geek:

John Milton 

Vals somehow has the ability to post video  links and if its even remotely about any SJ issue I will find it offensive and I'm normally  not over sensitive but this video made me laugh.....I watched to the end, it is funny  :biggrin:

John Milton