US Election 2016, part II

Meshugger

Let's be real here. Clinton"s lead with he normal delegates is virtually insurmountable and the superdelegates aren't going against the will of the people and pledge their votes to the candidate who is behind by millions of votes. There will be no contested convention.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/clinton-will-likely-clinch-the-democratic-nomination-in-new-jersey/

....Unless she's indicted.

Which obviously isn't going to happen so Leferd is correct 

How is it "obviously" not going to happen?

She is not going to get indicted....its obvious?

Damn Bruce, your solid, thorough and completely well-thought out arguments never cease to amaze me. I simply can't compete with that.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

The futures market on a Clinton indictment is overwhelmingly and resoundingly NO.

https://www.predictit.org/Contract/1792/Will-a-federal-criminal-charge-be-filed-against-Hillary-Clinton-in-2016#data

If you're so absolutely sure about an indictment, make yourself a good buck and put down a YES. You'd currently be getting better than 3-1 on ROI.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

The futures market on a Clinton indictment is overwhelmingly and resoundingly NO.

https://www.predictit.org/Contract/1792/Will-a-federal-criminal-charge-be-filed-against-Hillary-Clinton-in-2016#data

If you're so absolutely sure about an indictment, make yourself a good buck and put down a YES. You'd currently be getting better than 3-1 on ROI.

Oh **** I didn't know you could bet on this stuff. I actually might do it. I mean if you've ever seen Neil Degrasse Tyson speak about how you can bet for or against global climate change being a thing by investing in stocks related to oil or cleaner energy alternatives, that's essentially what I did with my grandpa's old stock portfolio (mom doesn't know a damned about managing it so she let me do it) and that's worked out pretty nice. It's easy money.

But at any rate I'm not 100% convinced it'll happen, was simply trying to highlight that we have zero reason to NOT believe it'll happen either. It's 50-50, and even your "evidence" is just "most people don't think it will happen." Yes and most people, all of us included, have zero access to the data the FBI has.

I will say though that given past Clinton scandals, I have very sincere doubts that this won't bite her in the ass in some way down the line, even if it doesn't do so in the form of an indictment. I do wish it would get more press coverage for that exact reason, because even if you're an avid Clinton supporter, I do find it a bit delusional to believe this is something that can and will be swept under the rug. No, I expect this to haunt her for years, regardless of the outcome.

• Like 1

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

I don't think Longknife said he was "absolutely sure". What he actually said, rather, is...too obvious to be worth the bother to restate.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Thank you for your most timely and appropriate interjection, Bartimaeus but yes, I have a general understanding and basic command of the English language.

I'll be sure to never make an irreverent post outside of the basketball thread again. <-- This was mild sarcasm.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Should we beat children in order to prevent future Trumps? But what if they become Hitlers instead?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Thank you for your most timely and appropriate interjection, Bartimaeus but yes, I have a general understanding and basic command of the English language.

I'll be sure to never make an irreverent post outside of the basketball thread again. <-- This was mild sarcasm.

Hey, to be fair, it's difficult to tell the difference between people lightly ribbing others or whether they're deliberately misconstruing other people's positions around here - both happen so much in these political threads, I figure I'll get a .500 batting average if I always assume people are serious.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

tumblr_o7adicgQWK1shb0boo2_1280.jpg

I'm still Team Spongebob if it comes to that.

You could vote for someone like Gary Johnson.  

It is immensely frustrating to me that people dislike both candidates but are willing to vote for one because they dislike the other more.  That simply cripples the true power of the voting process.  

• Like 2

Two things...

1) Gary Johnson has my vote. I hope beyond hoping he hits the magic 15% to get on the debate stage. If having one of those two idiots in the White House is the price for dragging the Libertarian Party onto the national stage and giving it a shot at becoming a national player I'll suffer them and be happy for it. We'll be better off in the long run with a viable 3rd party. No guarantee that will happen but this is the best chance ever.

2) If Hillary was going to be indicted it would have happened already. That is not to say she did or did not deserve it of that justice was served, or not. I'm just saying it isn't going to happen.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Tell Gary that if he accepts Spongebob as his VP, he has my vote. Otherwise no dice.

As it stands, Gary Johnson has my vote as well.  I think my wife is on board too, since she is a registered Republican but dislikes Trump tremendously.  He's polling at 10%, and it seems like a decent bet that will go up.

Yay for realistic immigration reform.

I will tell you all one thing. The fastest way to move Donald Trump to 1600 Pensylvania Ave. is to do BS like this: http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/violence-breaks-trump-rally-san-jose-protesters-hurl/story?id=39576437

Burning the US flag, waving Mexican flags, assaulting people, trashing cars. If you want to put people backs up and geting them voting from Trump this is the way to do it.

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I will tell you all one thing. The fastest way to move Donald Trump to 1600 Pensylvania Ave. is to do BS like this: http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/violence-breaks-trump-rally-san-jose-protesters-hurl/story?id=39576437

Burning the US flag, waving Mexican flags, assaulting people, trashing cars. If you want to put people backs up and geting them voting from Trump this is the way to do it.

This is eerie. I was about to post the same thing.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

2) If Hillary was going to be indicted it would have happened already. That is not to say she did or did not deserve it of that justice was served, or not. I'm just saying it isn't going to happen.

I'm curious about your argument as to why you think this. I'm not convinced either way yet - I feel like it's a complete tossup right now what will happen - but maybe you can convince me your way. With just the never-ending amount of bad and worse and even worse news for Hillary in regards to her emails lately, I feel much more optimistic about it now than I have in the past...so what makes you so sure?

Edited by Bartimaeus

I'm curious about your argument as to why you think this. I'm not convinced either way yet - I feel like it's a complete tossup right now what will happen - but maybe you can convince me your way. With just the never-ending amount of bad and worse and even worse news for Hillary in regards to her emails lately, I feel much more optimistic about it now than I have in the past...so what makes you so sure?

At the end of the day the FBI can only make a recomendation. The DOJ is the one empowered to seek and indictment. Who is running that organization again? If the FBI recomends in favor of and the DOJ declines it looks bad. But they will not disrupt an election they are likely to win to actually DO justice. Besides, justice is not what the DOJ is all about anymore anyway.

Thomas Sowell

This has been the talk around the VFW for years. It's interesting to see others grasping the point as well: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/02/america-is-tired-of-being-the-worlds-protector-we-have-been-warn/

Thomas Sowell

It's sad what people will do when they think they have the moral high ground, and even more tragic to realize that in their crass little actions, they're actually giving the moral high ground to Trump, thus giving him supporters who see these attacks as an injustice and a reason to come to his defense.

You cannot sit there and say "those people are fascists (gasp!! A hot-button word to provoke people!) and terrible people, so we should get rid of them by acting like fascists and terrible people!" That's not how the world works.

• Like 1

At the end of the day the FBI can only make a recomendation. The DOJ is the one empowered to seek and indictment. Who is running that organization again? If the FBI recomends in favor of and the DOJ declines it looks bad. But they will not disrupt an election they are likely to win to actually DO justice. Besides, justice is not what the DOJ is all about anymore anyway.

Aren't there multiple people that've gone on record stating they'd release and expose the emails if the FBI doesn't indict? From workers within the FBI themselves to Russian government officials who've claimed having gained access to her server?

I'll admit I'm not watching this election as closely as I should given wtf what's there to watch (I don't need to watch the entirety of a trainwreck to determine "yep that's a trainwreck"), but I seem to remember at least those two, if not more people, threatening they were gonna release the emails in their entirety if an indictment didn't happen. Likewise, I recall an interview with Edward Snowden regarding the emails. I trust Edward Snowden, and I distinctly recall him dropping a rather fascinatingly high number of attempted hack attempts per day on government servers and citing that as a reason why only the most extreme security measures are acceptable, as well as explaining how painfully obvious it should've been to her or ANY government official about why what she did was a blatant circumvention of the law.

Granted, those threats may be ignored and the indictment may not happen and instead we'll just get an email scandal as the info becomes public knowledge, but you better believe there's motivation to follow through with an indictment as well.

Surly this highly irresponsible behavior wouldnt be a reason for people to suddenly vote Trump?

I would imagine people who burn the US flag would be in the minority?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Surly this highly irresponsible behavior wouldnt be a reason for people to suddenly vote Trump?

To my knowledge, currently, the most violent activists aren't Hillary supporters or Bernie supporters or Trump supporters, but anti-Trump activists. This is not the first story of protestors lashing out at Trump supporters.

Humans, how do they work?

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Do you? Where can I bet on it and what odds will I get?

You could vote for someone like Gary Johnson.

1464819437935.jpg

It is immensely frustrating to me that people dislike both candidates but are willing to vote for one because they dislike the other more.  That simply cripples the true power of the voting process.

Our voting system is going to tend to a two party monopoly. Flooding the ballot with various other parties isn't going to change that and voting doesn't do **** anyways.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Our voting system is going to tend to a two party monopoly. Flooding the ballot with various other parties isn't going to change that and voting doesn't do **** anyways.

well, better to do something than just moan about it on internetz right? Edited by Chilloutman

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"