Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[CLASS BUILD] The Thundercat (or 'crit me maybe on more time!')

class build druid spell-holding spiritshift

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

L4wlight

L4wlight

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

The Thundercat -                      
or 'crit me maybe on more time!'
---------------------------------------------
Difficulty: PotD; Game version 3.02
---------------------------------------------

YpgbBgO.png

"The Thundercat is on the move,

The Thundercat is loose,
Feel the magic, hear its roar,
The Thundercat is loose.

Thunder, thunder, thunder, Thundercat!
Thunder, thunder, thunder, THUNDERCAT!"

Intro

Spoiler

Pictures

Spoiler

Race, Heritage and Background

Spoiler

Attribute Scores

Spoiler

Talents & Abilities

Spoiler

Spell Mastery

Spoiler

Skills

Spoiler

Equipment

Spoiler

Buffs & Party Composition

Spoiler

Spell Guide  

Spoiler

Edited by L4wlight, 22 April 2016 - 08:36 PM.

• AndreaColombo, oaktownbrown, chickenhed and 11 others like this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 12989 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I still have to read it all - but I already have a suggestion. You HAVE to use spears when in kith form. Because... you know... Britney! :lol:

• gogocactus and AlexDeLarge like this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 12989 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Really nice - and really a different kid of shapeshifter build. I love that synergy between Form of the Delemgan and Elemental Endurance. I totally overlooked that.

Two questions:

• Did you consider to put on Sanguine Plate to proc "the real" Frenzy and then switch to cat form? Should spare you a talent (Outlander's Frenzy) and give you a bit better stat and speed boosts. With the fitting helm you will also have that anti-prone and anti-stun thing like with Blaidh Golan. Would slow you down in kith form of course... What do you think?
  • What about Gyrd Háewanes Sténes? I can restore one Spiritshift use per encounter. You have to attack with it though. ;)

Really nice!

• L4wlight likes this

L4wlight

L4wlight

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Really nice - and really a different kid of shapeshifter build. I love that synergy between Form of the Delemgan and Elemental Endurance. I totally overlooked that.

Two questions:

• Did you consider to put on Sanguine Plate to proc "the real" Frenzy and then switch to cat form? Should spare you a talent (Outlander's Frenzy) and give you a bit better stat and speed boosts. With the fitting helm you will also have that anti-prone and anti-stun thing like with Blaidh Golan. Would slow you down in kith form of course... What do you think?
  • What about Gyrd Háewanes Sténes? I can restore one Spiritshift use per encounter. You have to attack with it though. ;)

Really nice!

As for the Sanguine Plate, yes I think it is worth to consider (and I'm glad you brought it up and I'd like to hear your opinion about it too) and I have to admit that I totally forgot about the new Sanguine Plate's Helm, but there are two things about it, that I don't like: 1) the look on a druid (okay this is rather subjective) 2) the casting speed in plate armor. The latter is not even that bad, because (I only tested it shortly once) most of the time you get hit by a critical hit very fast, so you profit from the frenzy proc for the obligatory pre-cast phase too. But then there are times when you cast some more preparational stuff, leaving you with very little frenzy uptime for the spiritshift phase. With Outlander's Frenzy you have more control over the whole thing and you can use it right before spiritshifting and jump into the frey right after. In the end, it could be a matter of play style, taste and party composition.

I really have to test it some more. Maybe I'll add an alternative equipment entry, if I'm pleased with the results.

As for the soulbound sceptre: I tend to use this on my support priest or on my wizard, but yes it can of course be a thing, especially if you have a party that is not that strong in the AoE damage department, which extends the combat duration a bit. In my last playthrough the fights were rarely ever long enough and the duration of Spiritshift with 22 INT is most of the time sufficient. Also getting the sceptre to proc is not exactly a reliable thing.

Edit: Have you read about the whole Taste of the Hunt matter? It is really strong now. :D

Edited by L4wlight, 18 April 2016 - 02:42 AM.

L4wlight

L4wlight

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I still have to read it all - but I already have a suggestion. You HAVE to use spears when in kith form. Because... you know... Britney! :lol:

Hahah... have overlooked that one. :dancing:

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 12989 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Yes - I tried it when I was toying around with a Firebrand druid. It's good if you deal a lot of damage per hit. Or if you are a barb with Dragon's Maw. ;)
The synergy of petrify + Taste of the Hunt is a really good point. Missed that, too. :)

L4wlight

L4wlight

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

A Firebrand druid... I'm a bit sceptical here. How did that turned out for you?

EDIT: As for Taste of the Hunt. What makes the heal go through roof is that it takes Wildstrike into consideration. You should test it with Spiritshift. Firebrand can't compete with that. :)

Edited by L4wlight, 18 April 2016 - 03:11 AM.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 12989 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Yeah. A Firebrand druid is kinda crap. I just thought the high damage per hit and Taste of the Hunt would be a good combo - but the druid lacks melee ACC and damage modifiers to be good at it. I mean besides spiritshift.
  • L4wlight likes this

Elric Galad

Elric Galad

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1391 posts
Binding web and form of the delemgan can be a sick combo by the way (immunity to stuck) especially considering bonus to kiting from form of the Delemgan.
  • L4wlight and Ben No.3 like this

L4wlight

L4wlight

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Nice find. I'll add it later to the spell guide.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 12989 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Binding Web + Immunity to stuck is a great combination. I can tell because I used a monk with Stag Helmet to drag an Ectophsychic Echo beam through an area of Pull of Eora + Binding Web - using Flagellant's Path. ;)

And since you are a druid - und if you have a wizard in your team: try the combination of Fire Stag + Pull of Eora + Binding Web + Embrace the Earth Talon. 

Edited by Boeroer, 18 April 2016 - 04:25 AM.

• L4wlight likes this

L4wlight

L4wlight

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Yeah the Fire Stag + Pull of Eora combo is a pretty nasty combo, I tested it too. Especially if you move the Stag manually back and forth, resulting in firewalls beeing everywhere, causing unmatched amounts of interrups. But without petrifying the foes it deals negligible damage. So all in all this is a very spell cost heavy combo that has it's times. Most of the time I prefer Avenging Storm over Fire Stag, at least with this build.

Edited by L4wlight, 18 April 2016 - 05:20 AM.

bigwillystyle

bigwillystyle

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • Steam:willdorris

This is comprehensive and awesome.  I really, really appreciate the spell guide.

• JerekKruger and L4wlight like this

L4wlight

L4wlight

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Thank you. Maybe I find some time to finish the last three spell levels of the spell guide on friday. :)

Elric Galad

Elric Galad

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1391 posts

Nice find. I'll add it later to the spell guide.

I my opinion, if your party include a wizard you should suggest not taking Tanglefoot as Spell mastery. With Delemgan form active, Binding Web basically becomes Foe-only which is the only Tanglefoot only defect. And Sunbeam is such an excellent alternate choice !

I noticed about form of the Delemgan last week. I think it wasn't noticed initially because the only online description (WMII Data miner topic) is about its 3.0 version which was "only" 5 DR buff, and because its description is a mix of too many things to be quickly understood. Furthermore, druids have so many good 4th level spells that people probably were not too eager to find alternate choice when Form of the Delemgan was released. If Form of the Delemgan has been a 7th level spell, more people would have been aware of it (sad but true). I would rank it the 3rd best party buff of the game after Crown and Devotion of the Faithful.

Edited by Elric Galad, 18 April 2016 - 10:32 AM.

L4wlight

L4wlight

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I have not used it for a long time, but now that I've tested some stuff lately, I found out that Infestation of Maggots appears to be bugged. The damage ranges from 0-3 and I tested it against different monster types. It used to be pretty nasty against some kind of monster groups like Ogres. This is now reflected in the Spell Guide, as well as the suggested Form of Delemgan and Binding Web combo.

Edit: Oh, I missed that it's now even officially confirmed that Infestation of Maggots is bugged.

Edited by L4wlight, 19 April 2016 - 07:32 PM.

sims796

sims796

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 39 posts

This is really, really good. I'm not gonna use it just yet, as my current playthrough is more story based, but I'm stealing ideas from this for my character.

nem0

nem0

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 101 posts

Has anyone tested the Cat Spiritshift form as far as attack speed?  The description says it has a naturally faster attack as well as the 1 per rest 33% bonus, however in game the claws state that it is average attack speed like all the other forms.  The casting animation for the speed buff is also an average time as well, I believe, which may cost you nearly as much time as it takes away from your attack recovery over ~20 sec max(thought the multiplicative stack with a DAM would definitely be worth it).   

L4wlight

L4wlight

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Yes I tested it some time ago and retested it just to be sure. I created two druids with the same INT and same DEX (I used 4 DEX and 18 INT), one with Boar Form one with Cat Form. Then I cheated with the console (iroll20s --> nodam), engaged the wolf pack in the north of the caravan with Calisca (so that the wolves interrupt her not me), switched to slow mode, placed the druid right in front of one of the wolves, switched to the respective form and counted the times of hits/misses/etc. during the Spiritshift duration (and checked that there where no interrupts). Result: 9 (nearly 10) hits in Boar Form and 14 hits in Cat Form. I did two test runs for both forms.

Cat Form attacks much faster and it's especially nice the moment you get Avenging Storm.

If I learned something in this game, it's that you should not take the descriptions too seriously.

Edit: And the per rest ability of the cat form is not that great, I agree. But that's not the main point of the form.

Edited by L4wlight, 19 April 2016 - 09:21 PM.

• nem0 likes this

nem0

nem0

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 101 posts

Cool, thanks for letting me know.  That seems to just about match 44 frames(fast dw) vs 66(average dw). I agree the descriptions are often hit or miss and the two description on the attack speed contradict each other so it is nice to know which is which.  I guess with DR being almost negligible at this high of damage the attack speed is worth more than the boars wounding ability.

• L4wlight likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: class build, druid, spell-holding, spiritshift

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users