Heya folks, I played way back during release, and it seems like the loot list excel doc I have is out of date. Do drops still go off of a list? As the only updated one I've found is V1.5. There are some really powerful items that I hate missing out on simply due to the wrong date.

After 2.0 the loot was changed in ch.1 areas but there's a post where you can find an updated list and also some new spots from WM1. Not sure if they changed everything again in 3.0 but the items are still generated based on the day of the month. Most of the important random items are found however in WM1 as fixed loot or sold by the merchants. The only important item I wasn't able to find was the Cloak of Protection.

I don't like that. Why isn't it just random? Why do it like that?

It's a form of randomness. Devs never disclosed it was based on the day of the month; users found out via trial and error.

Also, I hate random loot :p

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I don't like that. Why isn't it just random? Why do it like that?

It's a form of randomness. Devs never disclosed it was based on the day of the month; users found out via trial and error.

Also, I hate random loot :p

Rather superficial randomness though eh? Feels somehow artificial(Can I use this word here?). I'm not a fan of random loot either, but if there's going to be random loot atleast make it random. I don't see the benefit of this kind of quasi semi kinda sorta random system that doesn't cater to people who don't like randomness or people who do like it.

I don't see the benefit of this kind of quasi semi kinda sorta random system that doesn't cater to people who don't like randomness or people who do like it.

Why doesn't it cater to people who like random loot?

No one is forcing them to look up the tables that list which day corresponds to which loot. And if you don't know, it'll be random as far as you're concerned.

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

I don't see the benefit of this kind of quasi semi kinda sorta random system that doesn't cater to people who don't like randomness or people who do like it.

No one is forcing them to look up the tables that list which day corresponds to which loot. And if you don't know, it'll be random as far as you're concerned.

It won't be random though will it? I noticed that for me it wasn't really random because I seemed to always get the same loot from the same place. Then I heard that it's randomized depending on time. See I used to do thing pretty similarly on each run. People get stuck in a pattern with this system. Especially in the early game. There'll be more changes the further you get in the game, but then why not just have something better from the start?

Edited by Francis Ironwood

It won't be random though will it? I noticed that for me it wasn't really random because I seemed to always get the same loot from the same place. Then I heard that it's randomized depending on time. See I used to do thing pretty similarly on each run. People get stuck in a pattern with this system. Especially in the early game. There'll be more changes the further you get in the game, but then why not just have something better from the start?

many/most drops in the game are fixed.  however, in the eothasian (sp?) temple in gilded vale, the endless paths, and raedric's keep, there are a relative high number o' randomized loot points.  

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Gotcha, so it still is list based. From my observations with the most recent post, the loot list has changed again with 3.0

I might take the time to document a few this evening. Couple of side questions though, when it comes to telling the date in game, does it go off of for example: day nine hour 5 or the 5 "Fronimir" (i have no idea what the months are named)

Second Q: Are there any timed quest to.be worried about? I don't remember there being any but that was 10 months ago.

Day nine is just the number of days passes since the beginning. Then follows the hour (up to 26), then the day of the month (up to 20) and finally the year. In your case is 5 Fronimir.

There are a few quests which should be done before others when the npc involved are affected by the events in game, but it's not related to time. You also have some quests/encounters which can be done only at specific moments of the day...

After 2.0 the loot was changed in ch.1 areas but there's a post where you can find an updated list and also some new spots from WM1. Not sure if they changed everything again in 3.0 but the items are still generated based on the day of the month. Most of the important random items are found however in WM1 as fixed loot or sold by the merchants. The only important item I wasn't able to find was the Cloak of Protection.

You sound like you know what you're talking about :) Can you confirm if either / both of the Gloves of Manipulation (+2 Mechanics, +1 Dex) and / or the Talisman of the Unconquerable (+2 Int while end >= 50%, 1.25 focus gained while end >= 50%) is available for puchase from these merchants? It would save a lot of save scumming random loot drops in Raederic's Keep if I know I'll be able to pick them up later. Cheers.

Thanks Kaylon, unfortunately it looks like the AdvanceTimeByHours script isn't working anymore. I won't be able to construct a new list easily.

Maybe you did something wrong... Did you activate cheats first (iroll20s) ?

You sound like you know what you're talking about :) Can you confirm if either / both of the Gloves of Manipulation (+2 Mechanics, +1 Dex) and / or the Talisman of the Unconquerable (+2 Int while end >= 50%, 1.25 focus gained while end >= 50%) is available for puchase from these merchants? It would save a lot of save scumming random loot drops in Raederic's Keep if I know I'll be able to pick them up later. Cheers.

The talisman I'm pretty sure can be found as fixed loot in WM1... The gloves however are still random as far as I know...

The talisman I'm pretty sure can be found as fixed loot in WM1... The gloves however are still random as far as I know...

Yup, it used to be located between Battery main gate and watchtower.

There's also 'AdvanceDay' command that does the obvious.

Also please keep in mind once you check the item it won't be changing anymore.

Vancian =/= per rest.

There's also 'AdvanceDay' command that does the obvious.

Also please keep in mind once you check the item it won't be changing anymore.

But you can save/reload for every container, right? How many rests does it take to see the entire cycle?

EDIT: Thanks for the list. So each day isn't a different item, should only take a max 7-10 reloads to get what you want.

I camped the chest in roderics keep next to the bed that used to have the gloves of manipulation to no avail. They nerfed / "fixed" the free sleeping with the witch downstairs so instead I cleared the whole keep sans the final battle / confrontation with roderic and then hiked back to the Black Dog Inn in the Guilded Vale. There I saved the game and proceeded to rest for free at the inn and then trek back to the chest in the keep, I went through a full 30 day cycle (including the previously mentioned magic 17th of the month) and I saw everything from the boots of stealth to some cloak with frost resist, a circlet that improved a ranger power and a bunch of other stuff, but not once did I see the vaunted Gloves of Manipulation. I suspect they must have removed them from that chests loot table? I don't know, but I don't think it can be found in this location any more.

Is it really worth it to go through that kind of trouble (i.e. going back and forth from Gilded Vale) to get sn item the console could give you in a second?

You know you could reasonably get the gloves at that point in the game and the only reason why you don't is RNG. Leave the unattractive loot where it is, console the gloves in, and pretend you had found them.

Unless you were after achievements, that is.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Is it really worth it to go through that kind of trouble (i.e. going back and forth from Gilded Vale) to get sn item the console could give you in a second?

You know you could reasonably get the gloves at that point in the game and the only reason why you don't is RNG. Leave the unattractive loot where it is, console the gloves in, and pretend you had found them.

Unless you were after achievements, that is.

but, but. That's cheating! I tend to lose the feeling of accomplishment for doing that even though it barely even counts as "cheating". I don't really care about achievements either, maybe I just don't like myself and that's why I have to do things the hard way.

• Like 1

Normally you don't have to go to Gilded Vale to rest... The priest helps you with resting if you free his apprentice (don't know if the animancer does the same).

Yes you can sleep with both. The problem is bugged and dont work. With the new patch work again in theory, (I have GoG version and I dont have the patch).