What PnP classes would be a good fit for PE?

They are the animal companion class, two halves of a character that must be coordinated for great effect. While a good deal of their abilities are geared towards ranged, they have enough abilities that work on melee weapons to not be forced into ranged.

Sorry for being off topic, but I've read this multiple times by now and I wonder if there is a comprehensive list of what works with melee weapons and what doesn't? Or is there even some general rule that everything applies which doesn't explicitly mention a ranged weapon?

Sooner or later when the WM2 hits I'll want to build another custom party with class bending concepts.

Generaly, if the description itself doens't say "ranged weapon" or "bow", it works with everything. The description, not the name, so things like Wounding Shot and Quicky Aim work on melee. There aren't as many options as ranged, but if you are making your Ranger a pseudo-Rogue you may as well upgrade your pet to do it as well.

They are the animal companion class, two halves of a character that must be coordinated for great effect. While a good deal of their abilities are geared towards ranged, they have enough abilities that work on melee weapons to not be forced into ranged.

Sorry for being off topic, but I've read this multiple times by now and I wonder if there is a comprehensive list of what works with melee weapons and what doesn't? Or is there even some general rule that everything applies which doesn't explicitly mention a ranged weapon?

Sooner or later when the WM2 hits I'll want to build another custom party with class bending concepts.

Generaly, if the description itself doens't say "ranged weapon" or "bow", it works with everything. The description, not the name, so things like Wounding Shot and Quicky Aim work on melee. There aren't as many options as ranged, but if you are making your Ranger a pseudo-Rogue you may as well upgrade your pet to do it as well.

Thanks, I thought as much but wasn't sure.

For me interesting concept (no need to wait for PoE2) would be to give neutral offensive talent (for every class then):

"Stunning Attacks - Your autoattacks critical hits stun enemies for short duration. "

(there is also variation of giving it to specific classes in various forms like ranger's stunning shots)

Reason: Advantage of caster classes is ability to mass stun group of enemies, so giving right clickers something similar could even things.

I'd honestly prefer they go classless for the next one. The issue is that pretty much every conceivable archetype allowed by PoE lore should be available with the current classes, such as Spellthief(Wizard with mechanics and stealth) or Assassin(sneak attack heavy rogue), but are clunky due to clumsily designed "multiclass talents" and locking most abilities based on class. Giving players several talents at each level they are able to select abilities with would be a better way to establish a Spellthief than creating a new class that is just a gestalt of wizard and rogue.

I've only just recently bought PoE on a steam sale, but I have to say that despite how fun the overall experience was I also was very disappointed with the locked classes. One of the best parts about BG1 and later titles was the ability to multiclass, and thus customize your playstyle.

Furthermore, I've always dislike static classes in any RPG. I much prefer a more free-form system, with the ability to pick and choose your character's skills and powers as your it progresses.

At the very least, I hope they add multiclassing in PoE2, as well as a few new classes and talents.

I'd honestly prefer they go classless for the next one. The issue is that pretty much every conceivable archetype allowed by PoE lore should be available with the current classes, such as Spellthief(Wizard with mechanics and stealth) or Assassin(sneak attack heavy rogue), but are clunky due to clumsily designed "multiclass talents" and locking most abilities based on class. Giving players several talents at each level they are able to select abilities with would be a better way to establish a Spellthief than creating a new class that is just a gestalt of wizard and rogue.

I've only just recently bought PoE on a steam sale, but I have to say that despite how fun the overall experience was I also was very disappointed with the locked classes. One of the best parts about BG1 and later titles was the ability to multiclass, and thus customize your playstyle.

Furthermore, I've always dislike static classes in any RPG. I much prefer a more free-form system, with the ability to pick and choose your character's skills and powers as your it progresses.

At the very least, I hope they add multiclassing in PoE2, as well as a few new classes and talents. If I had to choose one class from a d20 system to add, I'd say the Inquisitor from Pathfinder.

EDIT: sorry for double post. I blame posting from my phone.

Edited by Eliteseraph

any comment's towards priest class? POE is my first game to start a priest class, and it's been really great.

I like priests on POE, but the god talents deserve a buff in my opinion. Their spells are too weak, and the weapons they give accuracy to are too limited.

While I know giving priests too much melee capacity may make them too powerful, I would like to have more options if I want a frontliner priest.

Edited by DreamWayfarer
  • Like 1

Ya frontliner priest is tough to work especially in the early with game with every low Health.  It can be done you just have to be careful early.  IMO Skaen, Wael and Magran are good.  Even eothas as a anti fear spell that's ok too.  They could def use a bit of a pick me up with those god bonus spells.  Priest in general though is in incredibly sexy class and it shines the most on PotD imo.

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

• 2 weeks later...

IMO it is more important to expand existing classes before creating new one.

Make old classes work better:

Chanter - some good tier II chants; a way to use high tier chants and high tier invocation.

Barbarian - high INT barbarians feel a bit weird. Maybe some talent to just increase carnage range.

Just add more talents worth taking, so there will be more builds. Like "all your healing effects +X %" or stuff like that or "Get bonus concentracion" or "Your interups last longer than they should".

Add abilities to existing classes to allow to spec in different kits, like:

Figter - can go dps, or defender, or CC monster.

Druid -  spellcaster, or full time beast with specific abilities depending on form (like cat can leap, but boar can charge) and choosen element.

If new classes must apear, they better be somehow related to lore, and be setting specific. Not just copy from DnD. Some ideas:

- Animancer - trapping souls from fallen enemies, and either turning them into small constructs or for some effects. Never again waste good corpse.

- Favoured Souls - not like priest but more Champions of God (more warrior type). However it may be too similar to Paladins, or just could be done with Godlike racial talents. The idea is that character serves one of gods as sword, and get blessings for that. And each god have different blessing, and you can have only one god. If done by talents could be more severe than +10% dps. More like "Skaen: Gain 50% Sneak Attack, but lose 30% health".

- Acheologist - dedicated to study Engwithans technology and redo it creating portable souldevices of different purpose, each Archeologist have his own customized device "Soul Gaunlets". Similar to soul machines which could be found in ruins, but smaller. Unfortunetly Soulgaunlets need some health resource to power up leeching from Archeologist or willing (or not) target.

Edited by evilcat
  • Like 1

IMO it is more important to expand existing classes before creating new one…

If new classes must apear, they better be somehow related to lore, and be setting specific. Not just copy from DnD.…

I completely agree.

To me D&D multiclassing was a lash-up on a bodge required by the very limited class system that grew out of its original three: fighter, cleric and wizard.

I have been pleasantly surprised by the huge variation of builds you can achieve in PoE and that so many are viable if you play to their strengths. This was not the case in the Infinity Engine games.

I've been playing a lot of Divinity: Original Sin (EE) recently and my feeling is that there far fewer workable party builds with its classless system than with PoE's class based one, it just seems to be a matter of:

I need to get ability *X* into the party, who has available stat points?
  • Like 2