Those builds would've been created back in 1.0 where Perception raises Deflection instead of Accuracy, so they're outdated.

For a Ranger, I'd recommend dumping Resolve and putting all your points in Dexterity, Might, Perception and Intelligence. You can choose to dump Con as well if you'd like.

There's been a recent discussion on Ranger builds btw. Try reading over this:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/83303-advice-for-stormcaller-ranger/

Edited by Wolken3156

I read some of the class builds here, but why do all builds of the ranger have the lowest perception of 3? That's for accuracy right? I don't understand that. And why such a high amount of CON? For a ranged class?

?

For the three PER, many patches ago it gave deflection instead of accuracy. Not sure on the CON, maybe you saw a melee ranger build? Many of their abilities actualy work at melee.

On barbarians: reach weapons don't have greater carnage range, only INT affects that. And don't expect barbarians to be good tanks, or even great damage dealers by themselves.

Most barbarian builds are based on either powerful sinergies with supporting party members or using unique items to apply aflictions/extra-long interrupts over large areas.

EDIT: On rangers, I'd recomend investing into the pet. If you see it as a fragile damage dealer instead of a expendable bait, it can be like a mini 2handed rogue that buffs your ranger's accuracy.

Edited by DreamWayfarer

Those builds would've been created back in 1.0 where Perception raises Deflection instead of Accuracy, so they're outdated.

For a Ranger, I'd recommend dumping Resolve and putting all your points in Dexterity, Might, Perception and Intelligence. You can choose to dump Con as well if you'd like.

There's been a recent discussion on Ranger builds btw. Try reading over this:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/83303-advice-for-stormcaller-ranger/

I'm not quire sure, which class i should start with. The Ranger comes in mind, cuz he has a pet, that takes the damage and i allready could do the bear in the cave as soon as i was in this location.

I'm not quire sure, which class i should start with. The Ranger comes in mind, cuz he has a pet, that takes the damage and i allready could do the bear in the cave as soon as i was in this location.

The pet is a fragile damage dealer at best. Using it to tank a bear is a waste, especialy considering how it debuffs you when it falls. And why do you want to face the bear before getting some party members or levels?

Edited by DreamWayfarer

If you plan on using a Paladin, it would be best to make your main character one in order to get the highest possible bonuses from Faith and Conviction. Doing so, will restrict your available dialog choices however, as picking choices with disfavored dispositions may penalize you.

Also I'd save the bear cave for when you have a few party members. Bears hurt.

Druid seems kinda useless to me. Isn't it better, to get 2 Wizards instead of druid / wizard?

Druids are pretty lacking until midgame. Even so, they're still feasible in early game. Spritshift is very strong and will do far more damage than your spells at this point. Sunbeam deals solid damage and also inflicts blind, which is one of the most powerful ailments in the game. Even better, you also get Tanglefoot at this level which you can use to lower the Reflex saves of enemies caught in it, allowing Sunbeam to crit more often.

You also have Charm Beasts and Hold Beasts. If you're up against lions, bears or tigers (Oh my!), those spells will win the fight for you. Once 3rd-level spells are unlocked is when you'll really start to see the Druid's full power. Returning Storm, Infestation of Maggots and Spreading Plague are all very powerful and useful spells, and it only gets better from there!

The pet is a fragile damage dealer at best. Using it to tank a bear is a waste, especialy considering how it debuffs you when it falls. And why do you want to face the bear before getting some party members or levels?

To get the quest done and get the XP in town. It's a better reward for only one character or?

If you plan on using a Paladin, it would be best to make your main character one in order to get the highest possible bonuses from Faith and Conviction. Doing so, will restrict your available dialog choices however, as picking choices with disfavored dispositions may penalize you.

Also I'd save the bear cave for when you have a few party members. Bears hurt.

Druid seems kinda useless to me. Isn't it better, to get 2 Wizards instead of druid / wizard?

Druids are pretty lacking until midgame. Even so, they're still feasible in early game. Spritshift is very strong and will do far more damage than your spells at this point. Sunbeam deals solid damage and also inflicts blind, which is one of the most powerful ailments in the game. Even better, you also get Tanglefoot at this level which you can use to lower the Reflex saves of enemies caught in it, allowing Sunbeam to crit more often.

You also have Charm Beasts and Hold Beasts. If you're up against lions, bears or tigers (Oh my!), those spells will win the fight for you. Once 3rd-level spells are unlocked is when you'll really start to see the Druid's full power. Returning Storm, Infestation of Maggots and Spreading Plague are all very powerful and useful spells, and it only gets better from there!

How should i skill the paladin? Attributes etc? If the guide here is outdated, there is no use for it.

To get the quest done and get the XP in town. It's a better reward for only one character or?

You get a little more XP, but it just isn't worth it. If I were you, the first thing I would do would be to avoid any combat until Gilded Vale, recruit Aloth, hire an adventurer at the inn either as damage dealer or front-liner depending on my main's class, sleep and recruit Eder. Then do the quests.

How should i skill the paladin? Attributes etc? If the guide here is outdated, there is no use for it.

For the Paladin, mid to high Might and high Int for his healing and support skills.

Raising Con is good as well, since with a few exceptions, like a Kind Wayfarer with the AoE heal on kill talent, paladins are mostly tanks.

Put some points into Resolve, but you don't need too much.

The stat you can afford the most to lower is Dextery.

Leave Per at ten if you want some damage, but are not a Kind Wayfarer. If you dump it most enemies will just ignore your Paladin.

If you want an offensive Paladin, the Kind wayfarers have a talent that gives a solid AoE heal after they kill a foe, so invest into Might, Int and Per for them, leaving either Res or Con at base and not lowering Dex too much.

For skills, just remember that Flames of Devotion is less useful at highter levels, but Lay on Hands is always amazing, and you can only have one Aura at once.

As for talents, weapon and shield style can mitigate the low Reflex if you do a low Dex tank.

Edited by DreamWayfarer

You get a little more XP, but it just isn't worth it. If I were you, the first thing I would do would be to avoid any combat until Gilded Vale, recruit Aloth, hire an adventurer at the inn either as damage dealer or front-liner depending on my main's class, sleep and recruit Eder. Then do the quests.

For the Paladin, mid to high Might and high Int for his healing and support skills.

Raising Con is good as well, since with a few exceptions, like a Kind Wayfarer with the AoE heal on kill talent, paladins are mostly tanks.

Put some points into Resolve, but you don't need too much.

The stat you can afford the most to lower is Dextery.

Leave Per at ten if you want some damage, but are not a Kind Wayfarer. If you dump it most enemies will just ignore your Paladin.

If you want an offensive Paladin, the Kind wayfarers have a talent that gives a solid AoE heal after they kill a foe, so invest into Might, Int and Per for them, leaving either Res or Con at base and not lowering Dex too much.

For skills, just remember that Flames of Devotion is less useful at highter levels, but Lay on Hands is always amazing, and you can only have one Aura at once.

As for talents, weapon and shield style can mitigate the low Reflex if you do a low Dex tank.

Ye but, aloth is not really good depending on his stats, compared to a self made wizard?

Ye but, aloth is not really good depending on his stats, compared to a self made wizard?

He is good enough if you have a full party, the problem is his horrible spell selection. I generaly hire two adventurers at the beggining, one stays in my party forever and one is a wizard whose spells are given to Aloth and is eventualy substituded by a story NPC.

Aloth is one of the better companions, although a created Wizard will usually outdo him. His starting spell selection isn't very good either. Minoletta's Minor Missiles and Kalakoth's Sunless Grasp are both useless spells. Try to teach him Chill Fog and Slicken as soon as you can.

Aloth is one of the better companions, although a created Wizard will usually outdo him. His starting spell selection isn't very good either. Minoletta's Minor Missiles and Kalakoth's Sunless Grasp are both useless spells. Try to teach him Chill Fog and Slicken as soon as you can.

I wouldn't say Minoletta's is useless, as crush and corrode aren't strongly resisted and sometimes you may want a fast, long range, fire and forget spell.

It has fast speed, right? Has been some weeks since I last played.

Edited by DreamWayfarer

I wouldn't say Minoletta's is useless, as crush and corrode aren't strongly resisted and sometimes you may want a fast, long range, fire and forget spell.

It has fast speed, right? Has been some weeks since I last played.

It does.

I will concede that the spell does increase in usefulness once 1st-level spells become per encounter instead though. I'm just not a huge fan of it tbh.

What does make more sense: Creating a charakter and get it as high as possible and then recruit your allies (i guess, you can get until level 4 b4 your stronghold solo?) or gather your party members quick?

If you want an easier game, go with a full party. You will level up a little slower, but there's way too much XP available in the game with all the optional content anyway, so it won't make a difference in the long run -- and in the short run, you will benefit greatly from the help.

That said, "easier" is not necessarily "more fun."

Should i get a ranger or an range rougue?

For a ranged damage dealer? Ranger or cipher. Ranged rogues are decent enough but, like, half their abilities are geared for melee combat so you're not really playing to its strengths.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

No need to worry too much about class pick, just pick what you think is fun for you.

You dont mind pet? Then ranger is fine.

Rather than asking "which class" better ask " i want to play class x with y (bow/boar/whatever) which talents pick?"

I'm not sure about the fighter. Should i skill him as full tank, full dps or hybrid?

Tank in my opinion: Fire Godlike - The Living Lands - Stats: 18 18 10 10 4 18

Hybrid in my opinion: Moon Godlike - Aedyr - Stats: 18 10 10 18 4 18

Full DPS in my opinion: Wild Orlean - White that wends - Stats: 17 10 17 21 3 10

Wild Orlean because of "Defiant Resolve". But it lacks really will power, even with that.

No need to worry too much about class pick, just pick what you think is fun for you.

Rather than asking "which class" better ask " i want to play class x with y (bow/boar/whatever) which talents pick?"

I'm not sure about the fighter. Should i skill him as full tank, full dps or hybrid?

Full DPS in my opinion: Wild Orlean - White that wends - Stats: 17 10 17 21 3 10

Wild Orlean because of "Defiant Resolve". But it lacks really will power, even with that.

Hybrid or bruiser. Focus on dmg, but do not ignore defenses and armor, and possibly have 3rd slot for shield.

Enemies have tendency to ignore no dps tanks.

Something like this:

Race: Island Aumaua for 3rd weapon slot, but anything but Wood Elf is ok from RP reasons.

Stats:

Might 18 (+2 race) Hit hard

Dexterity 18 Hit fast

Resolve 9 - We need it least, but too low may result in more hits/mind control than it is fun

Rest 10 - cant ignore inteligency since we have some duration effects, do not need Percepcion as much (FIghter acc is good).

(+1 from origin, living lands give +1 Might)

Abilities:

1. Knockdown

3. Disciplined barrage

5. Weapon spec

7. Armour Grace

9. Confident Aim

11. Unbroken (or Clear Out)

Talents:

- Weapon Focus

- Savage Attacks

- Two Weapon Style/Two handed Style

- Weapon Master

- Vulnerable Attacs

- Hold The line

Weapon of choice:

For 2 handed weapons Soldier is good, since also allows to use well some heavy hitting range weapons. Greatsword is a very good weapon. If somebody in party already use greatsword then Adventurer with Estoc is close pick.

2 weapons are fine, and Ruffian opens Pistol for opening salvo, and Sabres which have good dmg potencial.

Edited by evilcat

Hybrid or bruiser. Focus on dmg, but do not ignore defenses and armor, and possibly have 3rd slot for shield.

Enemies have tendency to ignore no dps tanks.

Something like this:

Race: Island Aumaua for 3rd weapon slot, but anything but Wood Elf is ok from RP reasons.

Stats:

Might 18 (+2 race) Hit hard

Dexterity 18 Hit fast

Resolve 9 - We need it least, but too low may result in more hits/mind control than it is fun

Rest 10 - cant ignore inteligency since we have some duration effects, do not need Percepcion as much (FIghter acc is good).

(+1 from origin, living lands give +1 Might)

Abilities:

1. Knockdown

3. Disciplined barrage

5. Weapon spec

7. Armour Grace

9. Confident Aim

11. Unbroken (or Clear Out)

Talents:

- Weapon Focus

- Savage Attacks

- Two Weapon Style/Two handed Style

- Weapon Master

- Vulnerable Attacs

- Hold The line

Weapon of choice:

For 2 handed weapons Soldier is good, since also allows to use well some heavy hitting range weapons. Greatsword is a very good weapon. If somebody in party already use greatsword then Adventurer with Estoc is close pick.

2 weapons are fine, and Ruffian opens Pistol for opening salvo, and Sabres which have good dmg potencial.

Ok. If i side with this herold in the castle, i get a 2h golden sword or?

How do i stat my paladin? In my opinion: Fire Godlike - Aedyr - 18 16 4 3 19 18

But this build lacks on reflexes. Do i need them as tank?

/EDIT: Question about mechanics: I read, that one character should specialize on it. So one character puts all points in it or can i skill something else too, like stealth?

Edited by baldurs_gate_2