I don't think the setting really helps or hurts the game, I quite like revolutionary war themes so Boston works for me.  Also, The Minutemen aren't as outlandish as Caesar's Legion or The Kings, it's just that they're really, really fricking dull  :getlost:

Edited by WDeranged

Heh. I like that Mass Fusion actually gives you an alert that doing it will make an enemy of the BoS.. but then in the BoS quest chain you get absolutely no warning until you pick up a quest that doing so turns the Railroad against you.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

What I'm more confused about is the accents. Like whether historical inspirations are considered traditional Fallout or not, you can argue they sort of fit with the idea of history repeating itself, albeit a bit of subtlety with the repeats might be nice.

But the accents...??

This is something that, to my knowledge, anyone in FO1 & 2 faked.

Then came FO3 and people commented that Tenpenny and Mortiary feel out of place, saying "hey Bethesda, that doesn't make much sense, please don't."

Then came New Vegas and Melissa has a New Zealand accent inspired by "taking after her mother," and Sawyer explicitly comments it's something that got through that shouldn't've and to pay it no mind while apologizing for said oversight.

So then here's FO4, Bethesda can now look back on commentary made about accents in the past four titles, and what do they conclude they should do based on feedback received on the last four titles?

They put accents ****ing everywhere.

I mean look to be fair, it's their IP now and they can do what they want. Pete Hines has both stated they don't give a damn about logical continuity in Fallout and that they're looking to make this IP their own, right I get that. But at the same time, you'd THINK they'd show a little more interest in customer feedback. It's no big deal, but sometimes Bethesda does something like this, where they seem to take whatever their fans have requested and do the polar opposite. Baffles me and blows my mind every time.

• Like 1

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

What I'm more confused about is the accents. Like whether historical inspirations are considered traditional Fallout or not, you can argue they sort of fit with the idea of history repeating itself, albeit a bit of subtlety with the repeats might be nice.

But the accents...??

Then came FO3 and people commented that Tenpenny and Mortiary feel out of place, saying "hey Bethesda, that doesn't make much sense, please don't."

Then came New Vegas and Melissa has a New Zealand accent inspired by "taking after her mother," and Sawyer explicitly comments it's something that got through that shouldn't've and to pay it no mind while apologizing for said oversight.

So then here's FO4, Bethesda can now look back on commentary made about accents in the past four titles, and what do they conclude they should do based on feedback received on the last four titles?

I mean look to be fair, it's their IP now and they can do what they want. Pete Hines has both stated they don't give a damn about logical continuity in Fallout and that they're looking to make this IP their own, right I get that. But at the same time, you'd THINK they'd show a little more interest in customer feedback. It's no big deal, but sometimes Bethesda does something like this, where they seem to take whatever their fans have requested and do the polar opposite. Baffles me and blows my mind every time.

I don't mind the Boston Accents in a game set in Boston. I actually wish more movies and games used local accents, but I think I am pretty alone in that regard.

That being said I do wonder how I come across people with Irish accents or Russian accents.

I mean those accents have to exist, its only been 200 years or so and those accents have been around far longer than that, but how did they make their way here in a world where Travel like that is very, very hard hard to pull off.

I don't mind the access but I want a reasonable explanation as to why it's there.

• Like 1

Well, just remember, Boston is were Cheers is set. :D

Did they work in a reference to that, by the way?

Yup, there is a quiet little pub/bar with skeletons set up exactly as the Cheers style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVvXLoNW8Jw

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 2

But the accents...??

I don't mind the Boston Accents in a game set in Boston. I actually wish more movies and games used local accents, but I think I am pretty alone in that regard.

That being said I do wonder how I come across people with Irish accents or Russian accents.

I mean those accents have to exist, its only been 200 years or so and those accents have been around far longer than that, but how did they make their way here in a world where Travel like that is very, very hard hard to pull off.

I don't mind the access but I want a reasonable explanation as to why it's there.

There are Norwegian speaking raiders on the boat near Warwick homestead.

Not sure if bug or intended. Ship is called "Northern Star" after all.

Edited by HoonDing

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I think I saw something along the lines of the ship being a Norwegian cargo ship, and the crew all got turned into ghouls when the war started. Since none of them spoke English and they spent all their time fighting off raiders, they became insular and just lurked there.

Or something to that effect. More of Bethesda's "environmental storytelling". ;)

But the accents...??

Exactly. The Boston ones I can expect and I won't fault a company if they include Boston accents while a linguist says "nah it would evolve like so." (no clue what they'd say) It's something that a developer may or may not have time to research. If they don't, it's understandable, if they do, I admire their passion.

But there's Irish, there's Russian, there's Indian, there's everything under the sun. Strangest of all, I do believe Cait's voice actress is Scottish, and instead of having her do a Scottish accent, they asked a Scottish person to do an Irish accent. Wtf? Why? Just let her speak and you'll get an accent one way or another. My best guess as to why this was done is because Irish Americans have this strange degree of pride in their heritage and would appreciate the "cameo" while Scots and others would just be like "hey that's cool I guess."

But I digress. I choose to believe that this is how the design decision to include accents went down.

Edited by Longknife
  • Like 1

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Preston's the worst companion for me.  I don't know if it's just happening to me, but he constantly gets stuck on the environment, so I'll have to backtrack when he goes missing.  This also means that if I come across any enemies, I'm on my own because he's doing God knows what.

Also, I'm not a fan of the tiny places you visit.  I miss past Fallout games where you visited various decent sized cities/towns, each with their own set of quests.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Okay, I just ran it through with the Railroad and got that brief video, and then a kind of "okay, you can play on and we'll throw more radiant style quests at you under the guise of 'cleanup' and you can keep going."

Where's the flicker of future's on the various locations and people you met? What's a Fallout game without some view of "long-term" consequences of your actions, choices or inactions as played out post story?

That's a let down.

Okay, I just ran it through with the Railroad and got that brief video, and then a kind of "okay, you can play on and we'll throw more radiant style quests at you under the guise of 'cleanup' and you can keep going."

Where's the flicker of future's on the various locations and people you met? What's a Fallout game without some view of "long-term" consequences of your actions, choices or inactions as played out post story?

That's a let down.

Same for the BoS, a 50 second bummer of a video clip that re-enforced what a terrible thing I just did and then a bunch of radiant quest guff.  I quickly visited a few locations to see the response to my actions and it amounted to a new edition of Publick Occurrences and a radio announcement.  Oh, companions had one line of dialogue that I couldn't respond to.

The only thing that gave me even a flicker of emotion was swimming down into the crater I just made of the Institute, that felt kinda haunting.  Also I got a jetpack for my crimes, which felt really odd for end-game content as it's a fun tool for getting around and exploring...y'know, all that stuff I just spent 80-100 hours doing already.

It's a real shame because the dungeon design, world design, gunplay and exploration are all great.  In terms of just poking around and finding stuff it might be Bethesda's best, I've lost track how many secret places I found just by paying attention to small details.

When I come back to this game I'll need to have a stack of mods and some seriously adjusted expectations  :huh:

Desdemona is Claudia Christian.

Hey, at least their song is good.

Well, at least Bethesda shifted slightly. In Skyrim they used Claudia Christian for 30 odd characters. Some of them in the same town/village. In this, they just had her as a couple. Her "Mistress of Mystery" on the pulp radio was enjoyably overblown.

However, Bethesda did kind of do it again with Brandon Keener (the voice of Garrus from ME) voicing a few score characters...

Anyhow, after getting that as an "ending" I really don't think I can be arsed replaying the other factions to get their specific endings. It just feels woefully short of an end goal.

Anyhow, after getting that as an "ending" I really don't think I can be arsed replaying the other factions to get their specific endings. It just feels woefully short of an end goal.

There aren't any other 'endings', you get a slightly different one for the Institute but otherwise it's the same video for all the other factions  :mellow:

Like New Vegas, it just falls apart once the personal investment your character has is solved.

I never really felt that connected to the whole revenge thing in New Vegas so it was the reverse for me.  After catching up with Benny I felt like the world really opened up and I got to explore a load of interesting situations and philosophies.

• Like 1

Like New Vegas, it just falls apart once the personal investment your character has is solved.

that's what you play Fallout for? personal investment of your character? I always considered my character's personal motives irrelevant  :blink: talk about different ways to enjoying playing open-world RPGs 

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

A 200 year old billionaire is offering you wealth if you become his protege and you don't think your character has any personal interest in the main quest...?

I never really felt that connected to the whole revenge thing in New Vegas so it was the reverse for me.  After catching up with Benny I felt like the world really opened up and I got to explore a load of interesting situations and philosophies.

I think it's just as easy to be involved with Benny out of curiousity, fear (the note states a bounty goes up on you if the delivery fails) or revenge. Personally I always felt curious as to what's going on. Really surprises me just how many players consider the main quest to be "over" once Benny is dealt with while I consider him a tutorial of sorts.

The way the dialogue with the companions is set up just seems really ... robotic.  Doesn't feel natural.  Do some stuff they like, then you get a conversation with them where they open up a bit about their past.  But you don't actually get to ask a whole lot.  So it's just them performing a soliloquy and ending with "but that's it for the moment, let's get back to the task at hand".  You can prompt a couple of times, but there's no big back and forth dialogue.

On a positive note since I seem to be focusing on the negatives in my posts, it is an addictive game.  I don't even know why that is -- maybe it's the exploration, or the combat, or the overall "feel" of the world.  But it's fun.

On another note, is anyone else a hoarder?  I can't help keeping stuff and just dumping them in my storage unit back in Sanctuary Hills.  I've got stuff that I've never even used and probably will never use, but I just can't bring myself to sell it.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I think it's just as easy to be involved with Benny out of curiousity, fear (the note states a bounty goes up on you if the delivery fails) or revenge. Personally I always felt curious as to what's going on. Really surprises me just how many players consider the main quest to be "over" once Benny is dealt with while I consider him a tutorial of sorts.

Yeah I quite admired Benny, I even tried to side with him but of course the snake backstabs you  :lol:

The way the dialogue with the companions is set up just seems really ... robotic.  Doesn't feel natural.  Do some stuff they like, then you get a conversation with them where they open up a bit about their past.  But you don't actually get to ask a whole lot.  So it's just them performing a soliloquy and ending with "but that's it for the moment, let's get back to the task at hand".  You can prompt a couple of times, but there's no big back and forth dialogue.

On a positive note since I seem to be focusing on the negatives in my posts, it is an addictive game.  I don't even know why that is -- maybe it's the exploration, or the combat, or the overall "feel" of the world.  But it's fun.

On another note, is anyone else a hoarder?  I can't help keeping stuff and just dumping them in my storage unit back in Sanctuary Hills.  I've got stuff that I've never even used and probably will never use, but I just can't bring myself to sell it.

Yep, the dialogue system leads to all kinds of disjointed nonsense but with the full dialogue mod you can usually find a choice that doesn't make your teeth hurt.

I'm a hoarder so I had the same situation, boxes full of **** back at Sanctuary and it all stayed there until I finished the game  :shrugz: