San Bernadino shooting

Drowsy Emperor

So why the fear about hijab? What the huss and fuss is all about?

Don't you see the thing behind the issue is just RACIAL issue? White vs non-white?

Your scarf is okay, eastern hijab is not okay

Edited by Qistina

it seems everything is racial issue for you

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

For me, the real reason behind this is racial, not religion, i guess western people don't give a damn about religion nowadays, you guys don't even take Christianity seriously...but western against Islam, fear Islam, not because of Islam...because the race of Muslims flocking your country...they are aliens to you...

It's because idiots that think Islam = Terrorism also tend to think that Hijab = Muslim. It's not ethnicity that's making them uncomfortable; it's middle-eastern culture.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

For me, the real reason behind this is racial, not religion,

It's fear of Islam. 

i guess western people don't give a damn about religion nowadays

This is true. Even the Evangelicals who say they do actually don't. 

but western against Islam, fear Islam, not because of Islam...

They're afraid of Islam because of major terrorist attacks like 9/11 being carried out by Muslims claiming to be acting in the name of Islam. Not because they perceive Muslims to be of another race. White Muslims would scare them as much as any other Muslim. 

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

It's because idiots that think Islam = Terrorism also tend to think that Hijab = Muslim. It's not ethnicity that's making them uncomfortable; it's middle-eastern culture.

That's my point, it's MIDDLE EASTERN culture...see? It's racial...

It's okay if your woman wear scarf...it's fine, it's beautiful, it's western and civilized.....but if your woman wearing hijab? Bam! It's terror, it's evil, it's Middle Eastern and barbaric!

Edited by Qistina

Aren't the peoples of the Middle East generally considered white?

Nope...this is Haifa Wehbe, Lebanese singer

beautiful-women-lebanon.jpg

Arabic women are hot, no doubt. This singer is very attractive for example 

But people in the West who aren't Muslims aren't  scared of the Hijab, there is just no need for women to wear one unless they want to

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

For me, the real reason behind this is racial, not religion, i guess western people don't give a damn about religion nowadays, you guys don't even take Christianity seriously...

I can't take anyone seriously who really believes word for word whats written down in some ancient books. Books which originate from old times back when people were still misinformed about a lot of things and did not know a whole lot about their world and their surroundings. I have to admit, they are good for light reading and have some funny and pretty amazing fantasy stories in them (some are pretty brutal and disgusting though, def PEGI 18+), but anyone who believes in that and is not 100% in their head. 

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

That's my point, it's MIDDLE EASTERN culture...see? It's racial...

It's okay if your woman wear scarf...it's fine, it's beautiful, it's western and civilized.....but if your woman wearing hijab? Bam! It's terror, it's evil, it's Middle Eastern and barbaric!

The Middle-East is not a race. Fear of Middle-Eastern culture is not racial. Ignorant perhaps, but not racial.

But people in the West who aren't Muslims aren't  scared of the Hijab, there is just no need for women to wear one unless they want to

Bruce, some people are afraid of the Hijab and get very uncomfortable when a woman around them is wearing one.

The Middle-East is not a race. Fear of Middle-Eastern culture is not racial. Ignorant perhaps, but not racial.

Oh i disagree...since Middle Eastern are non-white, not white people, not western. Most western people today believe Christian is western, so you are okay with Christianity, it have a root in your civilization and culture. (Even though the Christian of the past originally are Middle Eastern and look like Arabs)

While Islam is foreign, it's Middle Eastern, it's alien, it's against what you know about western culture, white culture....Islam seems as "against everything you know about being white people"...that's why the west fear Islam...ban hijab...

Edited by Qistina

Oh i disagree...since Middle Eastern are non-white, not white people, not western. Most western people today believe Christian is western, so you are okay with Christianity, it have a root in your civilization and culture. (Even though the Christian of the past originally are Middle Eastern and look like Arabs)

While Islam is foreign, it's Middle Eastern, it's alien, it's against what you know about western culture, white culture....Islam seems as "against everything you know about being white people"...that's why the west fear Islam...ban hijab...

question for 100

What is oozing from that post above

a) racim

b) ignorance

c) simplicity

b) brainwashing

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I'm pretty sure it has more to do with things like Muslims flying planes into the World Trade Center in the name of Islam and less to do with Middle-Easterners being non-white.

Edited by Namutree
  • Like 1

I'm pretty sure it has more to do with things like Muslims flying planes into the World Trade Center in the name of Islam and less to do with Middle-Easterners being non-white.

That is just an excuse...anyone can flying a plane and hit anything...what if the one who fly the plane is a Jew?

That is just an excuse...anyone can flying a plane and hit anything...what if the one who fly the plane is a Jew?

Rather few non-Muslim people have the desire to commit suicide via capturing airplanes and flying them into buildings full of people. 

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

*sigh*

Back in the first half of 20th century, the middle east and islam was seen as something foreign, mystic and exotic, often viewed as a curiousity of some ancient civilization. For example, such romantic mysticism inspired Frank Herbert to write "Dune", probably one of the best Sci-Fi-novels ever, and made movies like "Lawrence of Arabia" possible.

But then those guys messed up at their PR department.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Bruce, some people are afraid of the Hijab and get very uncomfortable when a woman around them is wearing one.

Really?  Are you being serious ....people are scared of the Hijab or are they scared of what they think it means if someone wears it?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Really?  Are you being serious ....people are scared of the Hijab or are they scared of what they think it means if someone wears it?

They are scared of what it means if some one wears it.

If a Jewish terrorist group hijacked planes and crashed them into the World Trade Center; then the Jewish terrorist group claimed that they did it in the name of Judaism. Yeah, some people would have gained an irrational fear of Judaism.

Edited by Namutree

If a Jewish terrorist group hijacked planes and crashed them into the World Trade Center; then the Jewish terrorist group claimed that they did it in the name of Judaism. Yeah, some people would have gain an irrational fear of Judaism.

I am not sure that everyone would agree on that 'irrational' part :)

Constantine is western

Constantine was born in what is now Serbia, from a dad who was from somewhere in modern day Macedonia/Romania/Bulgaria and a mom who was from modern day Turkey.  At best most people with "Euro-centric" thinking would see him - in a modern context - as Eastern European.

Not sure there is a fear of the hijab - per se.  There are people who believe the hijab represents oppression of women in Islamic societies because it "hides" women in a way that is not required of the men therefore creating a disparity between the genders.

And in the USA there is a natural distrust against people who hide their faces based on a history that included masked robbers and masked or hooded "vigilante" groups enacting whatever "justice" they saw fit to administer (see the Vigilante's in Barbary Coast/San Fransisco or the Ku Klux Klan in the south for examples).  In fact there are a lot of long standing laws against hiding ones face in public in the US that were enacted to fight said groups and their ability to act with impunity (because of the lack of being able to identify perpetrators) that have to be suspended to honor the religious freedoms of those who choose to wear a hijab for religious reasons here (which probably causes its own problems with people who think this is a "privilege" they don't get).

Add in the "America for people who act like Americans!" brigade and the mistrust and fear people have when encountering the unknown (and the US is huge so there are large segments of the population who've never met a Muslim, much less someone wearing a Hijab) and you probably have a basis - in the US at least - for why we are culturally struggling with the hijab and those who choose to wear it.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Not sure there is a fear of the hijab - per se.  There are people who believe the hijab represents oppression of women in Islamic societies because it "hides" women in a way that is not required of the men therefore creating a disparity between the genders.

And in the USA there is a natural distrust against people who hide their faces based on a history that included masked robbers and masked or hooded "vigilante" groups enacting whatever "justice" they saw fit to administer (see the Vigilante's in Barbary Coast/San Fransisco or the Ku Klux Klan in the south for examples).  In fact there are a lot of long standing laws against hiding ones face in public in the US that were enacted to fight said groups and their ability to act with impunity (because of the lack of being able to identify perpetrators) that have to be suspended to honor the religious freedoms of those who choose to wear a hijab for religious reasons here (which probably causes its own problems with people who think this is a "privilege" they don't get).

Add in the "America for people who act like Americans!" brigade and the mistrust and fear people have when encountering the unknown (and the US is huge so there are large segments of the population who've never met a Muslim, much less someone wearing a Hijab) and you probably have a basis - in the US at least - for why we are culturally struggling with the hijab and those who choose to wear it.

I also don't agree with the face covering, even most Muslim scholars say it is not even Islamic. The Al Azhar clerics issue a decree to ban on "niqab" (the face cover) because it is not a part of Islam. Saying it is a part of Islam is wrong, nowhere in the Quran and Hadith say women must cover our face. Only Saudi and extremists practice covering the face. If you see any women covering their face then you know what they are following, if they argue with you about it just say to them "i know it is not Islamic practice"

The face cover is from Arab culture, it is because they live in desert area, not only women cover their face, men also, it's to cover from inhaling dusts especially during desert storm. It have nothing to do with religion at all, no where it say women must cover the face by wearing "niqab".

if ayone tell you, even a Muslim tell you that Muslim women must cover their face, that person is lying.

Edited by Qistina

Yeah I realized in retrospect after I posted that I was confusing hijab with niqab (which I couldn't recall the name of).

Most of the issues I've heard, though, relate to niqabs more than hijabs, but that's anecdotal...

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

"The ones who is racists are white, because white is right, you only right if you are white..."

L0L The irony and hypocrisy is hilarious....

Whenever someone  states all x is y that is the very definition of bigotry (be it racism, sexism, or otherwise). Why are you so evilly racist? Are you best buddies with that piece of crap Donald Trump?

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.