KOTOR Musical Themes

I certainly hope we'll hear more of new (and still quality) stuff than the old and beaten-to-death themes from K1. I mean, it's supposed to be K2, not K1:TSL, after all. It would just get dull and plain annoying to hear the same themes all over again...

*sigh* I guess it's just my way of saying that I got sick of the K1's already, heh... :(

The composer for the first did a overall decent job. I haven't heard enough of the KotOR2 composer to see how good he truly is, but it would be great if they melded some of the themes that run coherent to the series.

Actually he's pretty good Click on Music for a listen

I wouldn't worry about rehashing of KOTOR musical cues in preview trailers. We all know by now that TSL will be getting the "movie feature" treatment with a live and full orchestra in the scoring of the game. I think Griskey is going to do just fine.

Actually he's pretty good Click on Music for a listen

I wouldn't worry about rehashing of KOTOR musical cues in preview trailers. We all know by now that TSL will be getting the "movie feature" treatment with a live and full orchestra in the scoring of the game. I think Griskey is going to do just fine.

Well I'll be a greased Jesus. That is pretty good.

To be honest, I haven't been expecting much from the score. I've never heard of the guy, and his record seems limited to lots of game I've never played. This, at least, let's me know they didn't just opt for the lowest bidder, as it were.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

I heard the samples from there and from what I can tell those are decent clips. However, he's not yet a big name composer. It also seems he likes a lot of hymns/choir, and TSL may not fit well into that. Then again, we never heard an extensive amount of his real work to tell. I say hes solid but I wouldn't be my money on it yet.

I heard the samples from there and from what I can tell those are decent clips. However, he's not yet a big name composer. It also seems he likes a lot of hymns/choir, and TSL may not fit well into that. Then again, we never heard an extensive amount of his real work to tell. I say hes solid but I wouldn't be my money on it yet.

On the plus side, his record includes Star Wars games from the past.

On the negative side, they happen to be the half-assed prequel-tied Star Wars games. Never played them.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

I seem to also notice that his style is consistent. I mean that he seems to sound somewhat similar in most of his clips, at least to my ears.

The good--He can perform one type of music generally okay.

The bad--He may not adapt very skillfully when the situation calls for it.

It is so ironic that you use those exact words because people were saying the exact same things about Joel McNeely until they heard the Shadows of the Empire score. Even though McNeely had previously written scores for Young Indiana Jones Chronicles and a few other note worthy titiles. After Shadows people liked McNeely because he sounded like John Williams.

I am happy to say that McNeely has truly established himself on his own composing merits. McNeely has gone far beyond his early days of John Williams and Bernard Herrmann impersonations. The point is you probably couldn't get McNeely to waste his time on a video game score when he's scoring for feature films.

The things to listen for from a composer is his attention to details. Not necessarily if sythz compositions sound the same because the simple fact is alot of them do. Griskey is probably a great choice for scoring TSL. You say he's not a big name and that he may not be able to adapt. A big name isn't necessary for a worthwhile score.

As far as adapting, great news. Griskey's major credits come from scoring for film trailers:

Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life

Jurassic Park 3

Minority Report

Spider-Man

Road to Perdition

X-men 2

The Ring

The Hulk

The Scorpion King

Star Trek Nemesis

House of 1,000 Corpses

There probably is nothing that requires more musical adaption than scoring trailers. He may be uniquely qualified for a video game.

The hymns/choirs would suit TSL pretty well if he added a more darker touch to it IMO.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I certainly hope we'll hear more of new (and still quality) stuff than the old and beaten-to-death themes from K1. I mean, it's supposed to be K2, not K1:TSL, after all. It would just get dull and plain annoying to hear the same themes all over again...

*sigh* I guess it's just my way of saying that I got sick of the K1's already, heh... :)

Well, I would expect most of the game to have new music, but I'd like to hear the Sith & Republic themes remixed since they fit the atmosphere and time period.

Hymns/choir would fit in with the Sith........

Duel of the Fates?