Journalism and Bias in the Gaming Industry

Rosbjerg

Though of course Bioware has indeed had transgender characters, such as the memorable Edwina Odesseiron and of course %charname% even earlier with a certain girdle.

Not to pick her side or anything, but both of those are considered, either by the character or defined as such by the game, a curse and are played for laughs and ridiculed. Not exactly happy fun times for real transgender people, I'd imagine.

One can change ones species in Dragon Age: Origin through shapeshifting magic. Logically changing ones gender should be ridiculously easy in comparison, therefore there is no need for a transitive state, simply switch sexes as one wishes, i'm sure a mage would be glad of the fees gained from this service.

Of Course this is assuming Bioware used logic instead of their ridiculous in game lore.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

"I rarely had the opportunity to bring up other kinds of issues, like gameplay balance, maps, and combat, because there were so many other problems with sexism in game design and so few other people pointing them out."

Soooo... basically she didn't do the work she was hired for, but instead used her job as a platform for full-time SJWing?

And when this made her unpopular with both male and female co-workers and thus negatively affected her career, she concluded that she's being persecuted for her gender as part of an industry-wide conspiracy?

Sounds like a radfem alright.

"the worst part about it was the gaslighting that happened with me when I tried to point out the problem. [...] When I held firm and kept insisting that such a scene was a problem, I was told it wasn’t, and that I was wrong."

Yes, how dare the coworkers disagree with her assessments! Don't they know that when a SJW judges something to be "problematic", that verdict is indisputable and the only valid response is to duck and apologize? Disagreement is violence!

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

"Not to pick her side or anything, but both of those are considered, either by the character or defined as such by the game, a curse and are played for laughs and ridiculed. Not exactly happy fun times for real transgender people, I'd imagine."

But, the feelz. Afterall, transgender have so tough in real life and those characters  speak to them and tell them see you aren't alone in tough time. Let's ignore the fact all the straight characters who are plaeyd for laughs, ridiculed, and mass murdered. Whoc ares about them. L0LZ

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

So with the same basic gameplay as Fallout 3, barring the broken town building, and a host of technical difficulties that are making it near unplayable, what is the unbiased and objective opinion of Fallout 4 from the game journalists: Mass condemnation and similar (or worse) reactions as to the far better looking and more stable recent Mad Max reviews. If not then why not?

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

So with the same basic gameplay as Fallout 3, barring the broken town building, and a host of technical difficulties that are making it near unplayable, what is the unbiased and objective opinion of Fallout 4 from the game journalists: Mass condemnation and similar (or worse) reactions as to the far better looking and more stable recent Mad Max reviews. If not then why not?

Because entitled gamers are absolute scum and should buy this trainwreck to atone for being entitled scum.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Ah yes, i'd momentarily forgotten.

• Like 1

Tea for the teapot!

I've noticed a trend towards at least mentioning the problems, they just dismiss them as not being important or not detracting from the experience- "everyone knows that Bethesda plots are a bit dumb, but you don't buy it for that, do you?" type statements.

I had to lol (literally, for once) when RPS managed to make F4 sound like it had better graphics, worldbuilding and simulation than Twitcher3 because somehow F4 was 'convincing' or somesuch while TW3 somehow wasn't.

• Like 2

It does seem like almost all the major gaming sites are in some weird way duty bound to give Bethesda a free pass for their technical issues.  It happens every time.  Every single time.  I think Giant Bomb was the only major-ish site that took Bethesda to task for their buggy release.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Exactly, their reviews for Mad Max were so damning for using similar mechanics to other games and yet when Fallout 4 uses the exact same mechanics as the last iteration it gets a free pass, and now no one is allowed to criticise poor QA because it has happened before! Really this is ridiculous and proves just how fundamentally broken and unfit for purpose game journalism is, they really are what is wrong in gaming. Objective criticism of poor performance is now to be discarded, preferential treatment is to be given to established large corporations, while plucky indies like Obsidian and newcomers like the Mad Max devs get unfair chastisement for far lesser issues.

To now say that the world building in the Witcher 3 is less authentic than Fallouts...well that's just typical RPS idiocy isn't it? The world building in all of the Witcher games has been almost anally obsessive, i've not seen better since Ultima, and it could simulate a real world locale while the Bethesda Fallouts (not 1, 2 or New Vegas) are places where nobody could live, where mankind does not leave its mark and there is no realism or believable world building, there isn't even water or crops usually.

Game journalism and those who pursue it really are both laughably incompetent, and yet have the gall to attack those whom have made the industry and provided jobs for these unemployable morons! The irony is almost unbelievable.

• Like 1

Tea for the teapot!

I had to lol (literally, for once) when RPS managed to make F4 sound like it had better graphics, worldbuilding and simulation than Twitcher3 because somehow F4 was 'convincing' or somesuch while TW3 somehow wasn't.

To now say that the world building in the Witcher 3 is less authentic than Fallouts...well that's just typical RPS idiocy isn't it?

Woah, what?

Did they really say that?

Bloodly hell, I'm glad I stopped reading RPS a while ago. That coupled with this:

4IAeIn0.jpg

really makes me yearn for the RPS of yore.

There was a time when they were my favorite gaming site. I'd visit them every day.

Alas.

• Like 3

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

The major gaming websites tend to have their front pages plastered with advertising for Call of Duty and Bethesda games.  CoD and Bethesda games tend to consistently get very high scores from those same sites and get free passes on technical issues and lack of innovation while other games get criticized for those same things.  Not to mention that those games tend to get disgusting amounts of coverage.  Point your web browser of choice toward IGN or GameSpot within 2 weeks of CoD or a Bethesda game coming out and at least half of the articles on the front page will be about those games.  Some of the articles will be legit insightful and/or informative, but you're also going to encounter a whole bunch of 5 Funny Images We Saw In The Latest Fallout 4 Trailer, How The Latest Fallout 4 Trailer Speaks On Humanity and Why You Should Pay Attention, Bethesda Teases Easter Eggs In Fallout 4, Voice Actor for Fallout 4 Talks About How His Character Is Super Important, Why Fallout 4 Will Be a Milestone for Gaming and You Should Be Excited.  These are mostly useless fluff pieces serving no other purpose than to drive the hype train.  I'm not saying that they give games that heavily advertise on their websites preferential treatment, but they give games that heavily advertise on their website preferential treatment.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

To now say that the world building in the Witcher 3 is less authentic than Fallouts...well that's just typical RPS idiocy isn't it?

Woah, what?

Did they really say that?

To be fair, it's a lot better on page 2 which I didn't initially read because p1 is mostly Alec Meer (who hates Twitchers for some reason, b00bies in the prologue of TW2 maybe?) waxing lyrical about F4 and producing gems like:

Alec: The Witcher 3 doesn’t do awe, though. Hell, it doesn’t even do characters that well – the Bloody Baron aside there’s basically three different characters who repeated endlessly. But the awe specifically, I’m prepared to pay the price of total slickness in order to get that. The Witcher 3 I dash through looking for things to fight, but Fallout I just like to wander. I want there to be fewer rough edges, of course, and I agree that there is probably some degree of hand-waving going on at an executive level, but it seems so distantly secondary to having the place.

It would probably be more accurate to say that Meer made me lol rather than Adam Smith especially or even John Walker/ RPS in general in this particular case since Smith calls Meer on the above and Walker calls him on the dialogue/ story.

I read RPS still mostly for Tim Stone, who is indisputably great.