Battletech

ShadySands

Now I'm curious as to what you guys think would be the best realistic mobile giant weapons platform

With current tech I think the next step in big weapon platform is gonna be orbital or some kind of high altitude glider/VTOL. For future tech, gravity manipulation is definitely where I see us going.

Fortune favors the bald.

Now I'm curious as to what you guys think would be the best realistic mobile giant weapons platform

With current tech I think the next step in big weapon platform is gonna be orbital or some kind of high altitude glider/VTOL. For future tech, gravity manipulation is definitely where I see us going.

well, if you are encompassing  more than land-based big weapons platform tech, then obvious next step is, predictably, naval power.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Of course, but I was thinking more of next platform, not so much upgrade on current. Tanks, Aircrafts, Helicopters and Ships slowly moving over to rail, coil or mag guns seems obvious yeah.

Fortune favors the bald.

mechs is an implausible upgrade o' tanks, no?  railgun tech is gonna require a rather significant change in ship design.

*shrug*

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Marauder and Warhammer units incoming (see Kickstarter update), w00t.

warhammer were always our fave o' the heavier mechs.  with light armour relative to its tonnage, and mediocre speed, the warhammer didn't necessarily fit with our basic combat philosophy.  nevertheless, the warhammer could serve up the pain with an impressive arsenal o' weaponry that made it lethal at distance and when fighting in a phonebooth.  

'course, in all honesty, am thinking we mostly liked the warhammer for the aesthetics.  

http://punakettu.deviantart.com/art/Warhammer-low-poly-52346440

yes, giant and bipedal weapon platforms is silly, but sometimes it ain't 'bout the practical.

HA! Good Fun!

ps our favorite clan era mech were actual the linebacker-- a mech o' similar size that corrected most o' our problems with the warhammer.

http://punakettu.deviantart.com/art/Linebacker-low-poly-48191603

It should easily hit the final 2.5 million goal.  I'd consider jumping up to $50 if backer missions reach 60 points and those novellas turn into a full scale novel, but that seems like a stretch.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

They have a running PayPal tally and it's currently at $48,590. It's always going to be a little behind since they have to manually update it but the thing is that I don't want them to make the next goal....

tumblr_loyzsmnUzv1qa219lo5_r1_250.gif

I know that probably makes me a short for Richard

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

On the other hand, if the PvP turns out good, it might increase the lifespan of the game, which could possibly turn into more future content.

Did they said anything about modding tools? Being able to create own missions and campaigns would be pretty rad.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Bleh. Easy to use tools maybe, but I wouldn't need that, and many other probably don't need that either. Open file structure and a basic map editor would be totally enough. I'd be more happy to kill off the PvP in favor of editing tools.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Well, all the goals I care about have been met.  :)  I don't particularly care whether or not they make the PvP goal (they will, easily).  That in-engine video loods pretty sweet, even if it is only a static scene showing off lighting and stuff.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Woohoo, they reached 60 backer missions completed, the Michael A. Stackpole novellas are now instead going to be a full length novel.  In a related story, I just jumped up to the $50 tier.  :biggrin:

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I'm glad that the novel is going to be reality. Not so hot on them breaking the 2.5m barrier, but that was kind of to be expected all in all. At least they don't have PVP stretchgoals.

But why not putting co-op multiplayer first, pvp second? Meh.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

PVP is probably simpler to implement ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Yeah, god forbid people who like to play tactical games with giant robots against people with actual brains get a bone thrown to them.

All hail the SP RPG group, first, foremost and only!

Aww. There, there. It's okay. I was close to making a point involving the detrimental effect multiplayer modes have on (single player) games that have the proper budget and projecting it on a game on a Kickstarter budget where the entire multiplayer mode was conceptually tacked on as the last available (and therefore apparently most expendable) stretch goal, but why bother.

I mean such sentiment isn't REALLY to be expected from a group composed of people liking single player RPGs on a forum of a company making - mostly - single player RPGs, is it? Gee. ;)

PVP is probably simpler to implement ?

But much, much harder to balance, which by the way is my biggest fear. Larger companies with far more experience and money than HBS failed trying. Competitive multiplayer adds a dimension to a game that is really difficult to get right. BattleTech at least has the advantage of having been around for a while, but even with somewhat balanced source material the computer implementation isn't necessarily going to be awesome.

Oh, and yeah, if that sounds a bit bitter then that is what PVPing made me and why I kind of stopped doing it (outside of SWTOR's GSF). :)

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.