Battletech

ShadySands

ER Large Laser heat generation reduced to 25 (was 40).

Well good I might actually use the damn things then.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

ER Large Laser heat generation reduced to 25 (was 40).

Well good I might actually use the damn things then.

Well they need to lower a tonnage for it as well, I would take 3 meds over 1 large any day

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

That too, I mainly get frustrated with ER Lasers as Kamea mounts two of them I have to turn off in almost all cases so is a frustration. Not as much as the BS I had in the last mission I played where I have to walk into a zone with my lance only to be surrounded by 6 mechs that come ex nihilo.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

They fixed the Ace Pilot bug, maybe I'll give this another shot.

In other news, Harmony Gold and Piranha Games proposed dismissal of all claims with prejudice.

Whatever the hell that means, anyway. IANAL, but that sounds like everyone agreed to go their separate ways, business as usual. Which is good news as far as getting some more Un(re?)seen in BT, and probably an indication that HG won't try to **** with MechWarrior 5 down the line either.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

So.. I got an event where one of my MWs comes up for advice on team management and there's a greyed out option about reminding her of her officer training.

...Where is that even an option?

Guess one of the upgrades for Argo, like training module?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

So.. I got an event where one of my MWs comes up for advice on team management and there's a greyed out option about reminding her of her officer training.

Guess one of the upgrades for Argo, like training module?

I've got mech bay and recreational upgrades left, so my guess would be no.

It's the merc background. I got an event about one of my pilots tinkering with a LRM stack that had two of the four choices between brackets, one for "bookish" and other for "technician". The MW in question happened to have both tags so I could choose either, but I've seen other events where those were grayed out because the dude(tte) in question didn't have any applicable tags. Officer training is one of those, IIRC Dekker has it.

It's a nice little bonus for hiring mercenaries who already have some sort of background and experience vs hiring total greenhorns.

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

10 hours into Battletech. Honestly guys, I'm not enjoying it overly much. Maybe it's 'cause I keep comparing it to Xcom in my head. In Xcom, you get an equally small team of chess pieces, but it feels like you can do so much more. Battletech just seems to be a lot of *move mech, shoot* ad infinitum. Am I missing some beautiful strategic elegance here?

10 hours into Battletech. Honestly guys, I'm not enjoying it overly much. Maybe it's 'cause I keep comparing it to Xcom in my head. In Xcom, you get an equally small team of chess pieces, but it feels like you can do so much more. Battletech just seems to be a lot of *move mech, shoot* ad infinitum. Am I missing some beautiful strategic elegance here?

Well, sometimes you also use brace.

Other than that you're not really missing much in the way of feasible options.

Nah, it gets better in time. Once all your pilots have Vanguard all you do is stand still and wait for the enemy. Then stand still and shoot them dead. ;)

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Heh. The exact opposite happened to me. I couldn't get into XCOM's watered down gameplay compared to UFO/TFTD, but I have 100+ hours in Battletech.

In the beginning, you will have very limited options. Once you start getting more mechs and your pilots gain more abilities, you will have more ways to tackle encounters.

The game does suffer from a lack of variety outside of the campaign, though. And due to encounter design, LZ placement etc. all mission types are essentially "Battle". So, yes, it's a lot of "move mech, shoot" (or "shoot, move mech" if Ace Pilot). But it is a game about giant stompy robits blowing each other to pieces, so that's kinda to be expected.

• Like 1

I guess it mostly depends on how much you like to experiment with your mech gear. There's some really cheesy builds that will annihilate about anything (medium laser hunchback for example), and they make you always run with the same tactics.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."