What level should I do Radric's keep?

Whatever you want. Most do it at 4-6

Most fights in the game a very easy. Then there are some insane spikes. (Dragon fights).

Raedric is an earlier spike but can be avoided as a spike if you do it at level 6 or above.

I prefer when my games have alot more challenge in all fights but no crazy spikes

Edited by Tennisgolfboll

If you really got your rear kicked, you have three choices:

1. level up more before trying again

2. change your approach strategy (e. g., where you enter, when you sneak, who you talk to or side with) or

3. change your combat strategy or tactics

Which one is better in your situation depends partly on how badly you lost, how much you enjoy/hate trying new combat strategies/tactics, whether you want to consult a walkthrough (for 2) or how much you love/hate redoing parts of the castle if you fail. The advantage of 1 is that you will level up and that the extra levels will make other quests easier (which can also be a drawback if you like challenging quests bc Raedric's Hold is more challenging than some areas in Act II so you may be overleveled for them). The advantage of 2 is that it can be quick if it works but it wastes time if it doesn't since what you do won't benefit you later in the game. The advantage of 3 is that you'll be able to use those new tactics/strategies throughout the game. The disadvantage is that learning new strategies/tactics is often trial and error so you might figure out something quickly or you might struggle to find something that works well for a while.

I can't tell you which would be best for you. You can put the Hold off indefinitely if you want to since it's optional content.

Edited by oaktownbrown

Another way to approach Raedric is to intially agree to take out Kolsc for him, and then attack him later. This way you can re-position your party members better for the assault, for eg positioning your dps/cc characters next to the priests and mages and take them out asap.

I normally try to knock off everything in the Gilded Vale region before moving onto towards Defiance Bay, which puts me at level 4 or so for that fight. Generally one of the hard in the games, as I'll only have Durnance, Eder, and Aloth with me.

Folks mentioned lots of ways to make it easier. Can come back later, if you wish. Around level 6 with a full team it'll be cake. Could hire NPC's, even though they'll only be level 3, two extra bodies should be enough to swing it. Can agree with him, and go kill Kolsc. Same general reward, but easier fight. Or agree to kill Kolsc, then position your team on the other side, so his casters will get smooshed by the time his paladins make it to your frontline, and have your casters behind the line.

I tried at level 3-4 with 6 characters in PotD and it was one of the hardest fights I've been through.

In order ro win, I had to put my party in his room and pull with a bow without even speaking with him. Raedric and a paladin didn't come so I had ONLY 8 guards to take down.

I took down casters with my ranged characters, then melee, one by one, and succeed. After that, Raedric and his last guard were a pain to finish.

I'm glad I did it but I wouldn't recommand.

I got so tired of redoing this fight I began to just take the Kolsc option - which can work from an RP standpoint (PC can be convinced) - but it bugs me that Eder goes along with this so calmly

(which is one of the things I would love to see "fixed" with all the companions - that they react to your choices more - even walk out on you if they disagree strongly with your decisions altho I know a lot of folks hate this and it's unlikely to ever happen)

• Like 1

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

I got so tired of redoing this fight I began to just take the Kolsc option - which can work from an RP standpoint (PC can be convinced) - but it bugs me that Eder goes along with this so calmly

(which is one of the things I would love to see "fixed" with all the companions - that they react to your choices more - even walk out on you if they disagree strongly with your decisions altho I know a lot of folks hate this and it's unlikely to ever happen)

If I'm not mistaken it exists. At least I read about

GM leaving the party if you sacrificed the baby in Act 3.

Haven't personally verify it though, as I can't bring myself to do it lol.

If you're getting your rear kicked, of course come back a little later? There is no "should". Some people do it at level 4, others at 6 or 7. 

If you're getting your rear kicked, of course come back a little later? There is no "should". Some people do it at level 4, others at 6 or 7. 

Not my rear so much as my lower back and then my knees don't get me started on my knees... :disguise:

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

I play on Normal and do this fight at lvl4. I always do it with a full party of 6. I have two tanks FAR FORWARD  and the rest of part as far back as I can (Tanks are Eder and Me as Paladin), custom hireling cypher, custom rogue, Aloth and Durance. 

In most times I have done this the fighters are able to pick up all the adds that are along each side of the walk. I Stagger Edder a tile or two behind the me the main tank who is going to tank Raedric and his adds. 

All others in back focus fire on the mage and he goes down FAST. Then crowd control from cyper on an archer. Aloth is doing slicken as much as possible without knocking my own folks on the floor. In almost every fight a knight/pally will break off and go to my back folks. Durance gets to tanky this and I will sometimes loose Aloth or Durance or a DPS. 

This is one of the tougher early fights. I always finish this fight with my toons beat up and mostly close to death. In other words I feel amazing after i get it done!

My Paladin PotD party took him at level four in a stand up fight initiated from dialogue with out any cheesing. Honestly did not think I could do it, thought I'd have to come back later.

My team was MC Paladin (Island Amaumau Kind Wayfarer, w/plate, fine pike, war hammer & shield, and arquebus, also had Strange Mercies), Eder (plate, Sabre & shield, Disappointer Pistol enchanted to accurate), Aloth, Kana (plate, fine weapon & shield, Durance's Staff enchanted to fine, arbalest), Hired merc Paladin (plate, Gaun's flail & shield, arbalest), and hired merc Ranger w/Boar (warbow w/vicious aim) 

First move was to shoot everyone in a dress :) using FoD and the ranger's special. After one shot everyone but the ranger and Aloth went to shields and the two with reach weapons set up behind the shield users. The melee guys held formation keeping each other alive with their four LoH, ranged guys picked off the archers one by one and casted AoE spells on groups. Even had a few of the frontline melee  fire off a volley of fan of flame scrolls.

In the end I was out of spells, down to just Aloth, ranger and Eder all hitting Raedric for minimum damage until he finally dropped. My earlier Monk party took the Kolsc option both for role playing and I did not think I could take him. The Kind Wayfarer would have to try and stop him or else hang up his spurs.

The key was dropping their casters quickly and then trying to focus on one enemy paladin at a time so they couldn't out heal me. The other key was the enemy concentrated on my four guys in plate instead of going after the much softer wizard and ranger in leather. Plus having four LoH spells and a few Strange Mercy heals carried the day.

The loot from full clearing the place sets you up for some good shopping.

• 4 years later...

On normal with a level 5 party it's pretty easy.  I think it could be done at lvl 4 with Kana and Sagani added (maybe without Sagani).  But there is a fair reason to wait until lvl 5 - one can run the entire area, killing everything, and wind up with a ton of loot.  The armor and weapons alone add up to a lot of coin.  And it is very handy while fixing up Caed Nua, getting hirelings, etc. For the final fight I have generally used the tactic of setting up in the room across the hall from the Throne, setting a trap in the doorway, and shooting the nearest guard.  Then they come into the trap, get hit with a fireball, and with Durance set up properly, iconic projection and it takes the fight out of them.    Last time I pulled everything in the Throne room except for Raderic, so I was able to zerg him. Kinda funny with a full team on him, plus summoned skels.  Poor bastard.