Please build the companions better!

I love the game, but not a single companion stacks up to even Minsc, who just had funny VO and a story as far as "I save girl"

Heya,

Heya................. heya.................... heya..................

Yeah! Don't you guys realise that computer games are a deadly serious affair that must be treated with the utmost gravitas?! Any trace of silliness must be stamped out immediately!

Humor doesn't have to be silly.  And frankly, I'd be thrilled with the idea of stamping out all trace of silliness.  I don't find silliness and outright stupidity to be funny.

• Like 1

Well, I'll jump on the bandwagon and admit that I miss some of BG's and BG2's lighhearted humour. Jaheira's bossiness, Xan's megalomania, Minsc's lunacy. I think the lack of humour detracts from the seriousness of the setting, as it is all grim with grim on. There's a lack of contrast, which is something especially BG2 had in abundance. Then again, BG2 ~is~ the best crpg ever, in my opinion. So it's a high bar to reach.

But, more banter and dialogue between the companions is sorely missed.

Edited by TMZuk

Well, I'll jump on the bandwagon and admit that I miss some of BG's and BG2's lighhearted humour. Jaheira's bossiness, Xan's megalomania, Minsc's lunacy. I think the lack of humour detracts from the seriousness of the setting, as it is all grim with grim on. There's a lack of contrast, which is something especially BG2 had in abundance. Then again, BG2 ~is~ the best crpg ever, in my opinion. So it's a high bar to reach.

Agreed,

Hrm. You have me thinking... how would it be to play a bleak, totally destitute story line, with a mired bunch of would-be-heroes who just don't care anymore, but keep shoving on for the sake of not dying from boredom, and really, to ensure they die of something more glorious. A weird, misanthropic viking cRPG for example, where Ragnarok occurs.

I'd play it!

Very best,

Yeah! Don't you guys realise that computer games are a deadly serious affair that must be treated with the utmost gravitas?! Any trace of silliness must be stamped out immediately!

Humor doesn't have to be silly.  And frankly, I'd be thrilled with the idea of stamping out all trace of silliness.  I don't find silliness and outright stupidity to be funny.

No, it doesn't HAVE to be silly, but silliness is a perfectly legitimate form of humour. Just because YOU don't like that type of humour doesn't mean it has no right to exist.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

Agreed,

Hrm. You have me thinking... how would it be to play a bleak, totally destitute story line, with a mired bunch of would-be-heroes who just don't care anymore, but keep shoving on for the sake of not dying from boredom, and really, to ensure they die of something more glorious. A weird, misanthropic viking cRPG for example, where Ragnarok occurs.

I'd play it!

Very best,

Isn't that called The Banner Saga?

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

For the record, just because no NPC in PoE is all about humor, it doesn't mean there's no humor at all in the game. Quite the contrary, in fact: Hiravias is fairly funny in general; Edér has some pretty good one-liners scattered here and there (and so does Iselmyr); and both Aloth and Durance cracked me up upon entering The Salty Mast for the first time.

• Like 3

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

For the record, just because no NPC in PoE is all about humor, it doesn't mean there's no humor at all in the game. Quite the contrary, in fact: Hiravias is fairly funny in general; Edér has some pretty good one-liners scattered here and there (and so does Iselmyr); and both Aloth and Durance cracked me up upon entering The Salty Mast for the first time.

There's tons of silly funny things in the game in general.

You bring up a great point. A brothel called the Salty Mast. With a peg-leg orlan prostitute inside that you can get a boon from, for free.

Very best,

Edited by MalVeauX
  • Like 1

Agreed :D PoE had plenty of moments where I was cracking up. Aloth's introduction, Pallegina's sassy comebacks, pretty much anytime Edér piped in during a conversation, and getting snarky with Hiravias were all hilarious moments for me. Plus some of the otherwise pointless little flavor text when examining some things in the scenery.

gU8dX0m.jpg

True, there wasn't anything outright slapstick, but I'm okay with that. You don't need things exploding into confetti or people randomly breaking out into song to have humor.

• Like 2

Honestly, the only good thing about Minsc in my opinion is the obviously spoken "squeak!" that Boo makes when you click on him. Outside of that, his entire personality and dialogue reminds me of the "Penguin of Doom" copypasta from some years back. Of course, when I first played BG it was way before that so it didn't have that association. Back then it felt like he was written by Colin Hunt from The Fast Show, the office weirdo who wears novelty ties and is constantly telling jokes that only he laughs at.

In my admittedly somewhat brief experience with PoE so far, the characters feel much more believable and fleshed-out. People in real life can be funny without being one-note "I'm so crazy! xDDD" machines. The same is obviously true with fictional characters. I'd say that humour that's actually coming from a relatable and rounded source is actually more effective than someone running with silliness set to 11 the whole time. Compare the humour found in something like The Office to the humour found in a kids' TV show. I've laughed more at Indiana Jones movies than I have at Adam Sandler movies.

But really I'm posting just to say it's nice to see so many others that are thinking along similar lines here. I've found it quite surprising how many people love Minsc online; not something I've found "IRL".

Characters randomly break out into song all over Tolkien, and it's usually not funny at all.

Agreed,

I'd play it!

Very best,

Heh.

Old Norse belief system appears to have been fatalistic in the extreme. Everything pre-determined and all that matters is how you face it. Sounds like any cRPG with a strong storyline. ;)

I'd play it as well.