TBH, I dunno either. I never played the game but its my understanding that they specifically made the buffs short duration to prevent pre-buffing (cant stack buffs on everyone because they will start running out before you even engage an enemy).

Naw, you just can't use them outside of combat mode.

• Like 1

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

the mechanics is opaque, which is another flaw.

"Funny" story about that.

So, in my current playthrough, Azurro comes by and offers to sell me an ostensibly unique morning star. I figure, "what the hell, completionism," and buy it.

Shortly afterward, he comes by and tries to sell me the same morning star. Naturally, I growl and ignore this.

On his next visit, he once again drops by to sell me the same morning star. At this point, I'm kinda regretting my failure to spec the whole party with WF: Knight, so that I could have them all parade around with the same unique weapon.

I'm just going to console in Hiro's Cloak on my next playthrough, since clearly Azurro is bs.

is silly for developers to fail at removing the previous chosen unique item(s) from azurro's possible inventory.  that being said, given that the item selection in question is random, one may exploit if you so desire.  go to most recent save previous to azzurro and try again 'til you get whatever particular item you wish.  

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Guest 4ward

@ Doppelschwert, i think you're referring to this thread: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/69403-question-on-druid-and-wizard/

i was thinking that if they allow enemy casters to be protected and/or invisible when combat is initiated then the player would need to counter it and during that time the enemy casters could cast additional spells to make them more a threat. I don't have this game (yet), am just curious where PoE heads to...

the mechanics is opaque, which is another flaw.

"Funny" story about that.

So, in my current playthrough, Azurro comes by and offers to sell me an ostensibly unique morning star. I figure, "what the hell, completionism," and buy it.

Shortly afterward, he comes by and tries to sell me the same morning star. Naturally, I growl and ignore this.

On his next visit, he once again drops by to sell me the same morning star. At this point, I'm kinda regretting my failure to spec the whole party with WF: Knight, so that I could have them all parade around with the same unique weapon.

I'm just going to console in Hiro's Cloak on my next playthrough, since clearly Azurro is bs.

is silly for developers to fail at removing the previous chosen unique item(s) from azurro's possible inventory.  that being said, given that the item selection in question is random, one may exploit if you so desire.  go to most recent save previous to azzurro and try again 'til you get whatever particular item you wish.  

HA! Good Fun!

I dunno that he'd even turn up again, since he seems to be totally RNG-based, without even the reliability of a day-based loot table like major containers.

Anyways, I'm long past that point, and I don't actually want any of his items for my current game - just thought I'd share. It's not as if it's an incomprehensible mistake, or something. Just another slightly depressing stronghold/random loot/opaque mechanics anecdote.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

If you really want an item from Azzuro's inventory for your character, cheating is the way to go. Don't waste your time waiting for something that may never come; get it straight away and enjoy the game right now :)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

@ Doppelschwert, i think you're referring to this thread: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/69403-question-on-druid-and-wizard/

i was thinking that if they allow enemy casters to be protected and/or invisible when combat is initiated then the player would need to counter it and during that time the enemy casters could cast additional spells to make them more a threat. I don't have this game (yet), am just curious where PoE heads to...

That's actually not the thread I was refering to, but wow, thanks anyway for digging this up!

I participated in the thread I mentioned and it had over a dozen pages where some dissappointed people compared the PoE wizard to the almighty D&D wizard. Josh only chimed in somewhere at the end and told everyone that he likes wizards (opposed to people stating the opposite), but explained with IMO rational arguments why it may be not a good idea to have a class in a game in 2015 that can do everything each other class can do as well.

EDIT:

Finally found what I meant, yeah!

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/69319-saving-the-wizard-class/?p=1537607

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/69319-saving-the-wizard-class/?p=1538537

If you do a comparison of class abilities, wizards have the most by a good margin (a little below 70). Druids and priests also have a lot of spells (about 45 each), but still fewer than wizards. Chanters and ciphers have the smallest list. I don't disagree that it would be cool to have more diverse options like polymorphs, spell doublers, sequencers, contingencies, time stop, etc. We designed a list of more diverse, complex, niche spells and most of them didn't wind up being implemented because of the enormous amount of time (and often specialized UI) that they demand. I would like to implement more of these in the future, but it wasn't realistic for core PoE because we were building all of the game systems from scratch.

No, the response is not surprising. Even so, I have always tried to be straightforward about why I make design decisions. None of these stated reasons have ever been because I have animosity toward caster classes (which would be pretty weird for any reason). Throughout the project I've tried to give casters the majority of the ability time, with wizards receiving the most even in that select group. I've tried to ensure that wizards have good access to personal protection magic, personal strengthening magic, and a mix of different offensive spells that do a variety of things: bounding from target to target, temporarily negating enemies' beneficial magic, sickening/terrifying anyone who comes near the wizard, swapping locations with an ally and hurting enemies caught between, temporarily stealing spells from enemy grimoires, etc. Is it enough? Clearly not for everyone, but this was honestly what we were able to do -- not because we decided to short-change spellcasters, but because even with 5 out of 11 classes (the casters) receiving about 3/4 of all abilities, we could only do so many special case scripts for them.

Edited by Doppelschwert

Hey, guys. We aren't releasing news because we don't have any news to release right now. With GenCon and gamescom coming up you can expect some news over the next couple of weeks regarding the expansion. Also, once we get the video from the Comic Con panel, we can show that to you guys.

I am currently working on getting an Update 2.0 beta build together for you guys. That should be up sometime this week.

I know at times it can seem like we aren't posting information, but it isn't because we have forgotten about you guys. We are still working on the expansion, but when we feel like we have something more solid to talk about and show we will do so.

We are very appreciative of what our backers have done for us, but we don't always have the resources to update as much as we would like.

Thanks for the understanding and patience.

No need to stress now, there will be another couple of weeks until the add-on is done I guess. I can go back to my PS3 library with my mind at ease for a while, phew.

• Like 2

aristotleomissis asked: Hi, Josh! I'm greatly enjoying Pillars of Eternity so kudos to you and the Obsidian crew for putting out a great game original.gif However one thing that puzzles me (and seemingly other players too) is the lack of immunities, whereby I could kill a fire blight with a fireball or my tiny orlan fighter could knock a dragon prone. Are there plans to include immunities in the expansion?

We discussed the pros and cons of immunities during development of the base game, but we didn’t have time to implement, test, and balance them.  Damage type immunities have been added in PX1, with some of them retroactive to base game creatures in patch 2 (the fire blight being one of them)

Source

melnorme asked: So, what turned the tide in favor of implementing damage immunities in PoE? Will PCs and NPCs be able to acquire them with items/spells/etc or is it just for monsters?

Time and the increase of the damage output curve at higher levels.  Currently damage immunity is an armor property on certain creatures only.  If it becomes a status effect in the future, it could be put on player spells, items, abilities, etc.

Source

I hope there's a bunny. I really want a bunny sad.png

Itumak likes this.

Edited by Varana

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

Does any one knows if it's possible to play the expansion after defeating Thaos?

am very much suspecting that the answer is, "no." however, please note that there is an autosave previous to taking the final plunge.  

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

German mag gamestar reports that Second Part is coming in March 2016, i actually expected december this Year...

So if true, 5 months development time for Part 1 and 7 months for Part 2?

As a point of reference, TotSC was released 4 months after BG, and ToB came 9 months after BG2.

HoW came 8 months after IWD. TotLM came 4 months after that.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/pillars-of-eternity-the-white-march/artikel/pillars_of_eternity_the_white_march,52695,3234852.html

Grundsätzlich logisch, aber auf der anderen Seite dürften sich viele Spieler mehr über ein komplettes Paket freuen - das auch gerne im März 2016

Cant EDIT courtesy of Bing Translator: Basically logical, but on the other hand many players are likely to enjoy more a complete package - that also like to March 2016