Master of Orion remake?

it seems my friends that creators of World of Tanks decided to revive and recreate the one and only legendary space 4X TB strategy game - Master of Orion...

http://masteroforion.eu/en/

and the trailer:

I HOPE they will make it great. From what I read it seems they have some of the original crew behind the MoO on board in the subsidiary developer responsible for making this game.

I really miss a good 4X space TB game. Endless Space was cool, but it missed out on combat aspect, Sword of the stars (first one) had some neat ideas and then Second was a flop IMO.... oh well..I hope that the king is back

Would this be the same crew that was partially responsible for MOO3 or the ones who were brakes on those creative choices in prior titles?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Would this be the same crew that was partially responsible for MOO3 or the ones who were brakes on those creative choices in prior titles?

NO. This is done by some devs from Argentina financed by publisher behind World of Tanks game (they bought MoO rights from Atari). Edited by archangel979

For this type of game, gameplay and mechanics is everything. Need actual info and gameplay videos before having an opinion. Good to see interest in the game isn't dead though :)

(Space Rangers 2 was the closest I ever got to scratching this paticular itch while waiting for a real MoO3 to be made in some Utopian future)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I think this was quite good clone of Moo

http://www.stardrivegame.com/

https://youtu.be/nLt_20ygZsQ

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

It's possible that the games is good, but I read as far as "You will design custom spaceships and deploy them into real-time battles" and stopped reading.

I dislike "RTS" games passionately.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Yeah, there are a lot of spaceship battle strategy games out there now, and it's pretty much impossible to know if they are good or not without actually playing.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

It's possible that the games is good, but I read as far as "You will design custom spaceships and deploy them into real-time battles" and stopped reading.

DOnt get it fool you, it really have decent space battles very similiar to old Moo unlike that junk that Galactic civilizations got instead of combat

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Some MoO info.

- MoO will be singleplayer with multiplayer mode;
- There will not be micro-transactions, the game will be "single buy";
- MoO genre will be 4X turn-based strategy;
- Currently MoO is only being prepared for Windows;
- At release there will be 10 different races, each race will be unique by its traits and equipment available;
- The scale of the universe will be selectable when the battle starts;
- There will be 75 unique technologies and about 20 buildings;
- Maps will be two-dimensional;
- The game has nothing to do with WoT or other World of series, there will be no "unified account";
- The game does not use BigWorld engine;
- There will be a map generator.

• Like 2

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

DOnt get it fool you, it really have decent space battles very similiar to old Moo unlike that junk that Galactic civilizations got instead of combat

The one thing that killed GC series for me is that crappy space combat... even Endless space has better combat, although i don't like the phase and resolution system. Best 4X developed after MoO2 era for me so far was the Sword of the Stars first game, but it had pretty meh planet management and the only redeeming factor was the space conquest and RT battles.

If only Sid would expand on the Starships game and change it into a fullblown 4X that would be probably best game since MoO2 but in the current shape it's a fun space.combat TB 1 session game.

I really hope that this remake will rock my socks off...

The one thing that killed GC series for me is that crappy space combat... even Endless space has better combat, although i don't like the phase and resolution system. Best 4X developed after MoO2 era for me so far was the Sword of the Stars first game, but it had pretty meh planet management and the only redeeming factor was the space conquest and RT battles.

If only Sid would expand on the Starships game and change it into a fullblown 4X that would be probably best game since MoO2 but in the current shape it's a fun space.combat TB 1 session game.

I really hope that this remake will rock my socks off...

Endless Space? LOL

I couldn't get past it's nearly schizophrenic game design and rank amateur coding. The AI makes moves that aren't being rule checked, it's also "petty" in its behavior and does things like repeated attacks only to retreat to be as annoying as possible. The race governments and abilities are far from balanced. The galaxy generation is not just random, it is nonsensical. (Probably do to the aforementioned programmers. I poked around and their algorithms are... intellectually challenged.) To be frank, I think they were a bunch of random people who got together to make a game and didn't bother looking into how that is actually done before starting on this one.

EDIT: In case anyone is unclear on what I mean by nonsensical stuff in Endless Space, see my attachment.

As for the MOO reboot... I'll pass. The voiceover was nails on a chalkboard terrible. It is better to have no voiceover than have bad voiceover. Nothing in the video seems to hint at how the actual gameplay will look. It's a short view of classic that sashays into something that is nearly guaranteed to be nothing more than a low quality CGI with the assets they've made to date and will not resemble gameplay in the slightest.

I don't see any new features. I don't see any evolutionary features. There's nothing to say, "Here's all the 4X ideas we've had 20 years to contemplate." I already have MOO2 on my system now and I'd rather just play that than buy a new one with mediocre 3D graphics coupled with terrible voiceover.

post-46225-0-21913200-1434094981_thumb.png

Edited by Luridis
  • Like 1

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

Well that settles it. Luridis is Bester.

So... this means you think of me as something bright and cheerful, filled with candy and toys for children? Thank you. That makes me feel much better about our relationship.

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

I've got a really good question for them... How exactly does that trailer congeal with this statement by one of the developers? Also, ships do not move the way it shows. Additionally, the blue ship would be dead before it could be surrounded by 4 other battleships.

o while there are a lot of players that played tactical battles, there's not that many. It's about 10% of the players. So if you deep dive on that, you're wasting a lot of resources [that could have gone] to something that's really more important to the gameplay

I can tell you from my own personal experience with the game and other players of it, and back to the time of the original's release... That is a made up percentage by an absolutely clueless individual. The people in charge of this "reboot" are clearly not up to this task, have little understanding of the pedigree on which they tread, and will most likely produce a flop worse than the game's first sequel, MOO3.

No tactical combat in MOO is like no pipes in Super Mario Bros.

There is also mention of "real time". With no tactical combat, exactly what is happening real time? Video battles like... LMAO Endless Space? Thinly veiled "tactics" choices that are little more than that silly card game amplitude put in ES?

I want them to show just 5 minutes of gameplay footage... I predict MOO fans the world over responding with, "this is pretty fail."

Yes, I am doing a lot of complaining about it. There's good reason too, from everything I've seen here, and read elsewhere, there is absolutely nothing to praise... at all. Master of Orion 2 sold on great gameplay, these guys appear to be trying to do the same on badly voiced, poor quality cinematics that will have nothing to do with the resulting game.

Hell, I am still waiting for gearbox to fix their reboot of Homeworld. There have been no updates in months, and apparently someone didn't bother to consider the idea that the tactical formations and behaviors of the original games C code did not get imported into HW2's C++ engine. And, as a result we get this nightmare...

https://youtu.be/Cx0uxR2kZy8

No, no, frigates taking 900% longer to destroy stationary targets is not a big deal at all... Let's not fix that in a timely manner, cause it's hardly important.

Edited by Luridis

o while there are a lot of players that played tactical battles, there's not that many. It's about 10% of the players. So if you deep dive on that, you're wasting a lot of resources [that could have gone] to something that's really more important to than the gameplay

There, fixed the quoted bit, removing the PR talk :)

I simulated all my battles

Simulating battles in MoO is like autoresolving battles in Heroes of Might and Magic or Total War series. Sure, you can, but you are missing at least half of the game. All the tech upgrades, custom designs and army build ups, which you never see in action... Nah, I will pass such a boring game. No player controlled combat is a big turn off for me from all strategy games. If I want pure simulations then I play a game like original SimCity series or some Tycoon.

I simulated all my battles

Then you never had the pleasure of downing a fleet of 200+ with 10 battleships.

Before anyone asks... No, I wasn't using the Time Warp Facilitator with the Phasing Cloak to achieve this. I'll give away my big secret here, but you can't really play it online anymore. This ship build makes use of considerable miniaturization of certain weapons.

Weapons: X amount of Heavy, Autofire, Shield-Piercing Phasors + X*2 of same minus the heavy mounting. (The latter doubles as point-defense.) With good miniaturization, this allowed for 20 heavy + 40 standard range phasors of this type on a battleship.

The "AutoFire" causes the weapon to fire 3x per turn, with each shot losing 20% of its hit rating. With an elite crew and a moleculartronic computer all three shots are guaranteed to hit anything under an elite crew on enemy unless they have internal nullifies. This mount effectively triples weapon damage.

Equipment:

Moleculartronic Computer (+175 Beam To-Hit)

Automated Repair Unit (Repairs 20% of Armor and/or Structure per combat turn.)

Achilles Targeting Unit (Any damage that penetrates shields bypasses armor completely, including heavy, and has 3x chance of hitting systems.)

Battle Pods (Increases Ship equipment space by 50%)

High Energy Focus (Increases Beam Damage by 50%)

Structural Analyzer (Doubles any damage that penetrates enemy shields.)

Damper Field and Xentronium Armor (Available via capturing Orion or Antarian ships, can't be used with shields. Reduces all incoming damage by 75%.)

Heavy Armor or Reinforced Hull (Choose based on whether or not your enemies have the Achilles unit.)

I think that's it, it has been a while. The result is that the Damper Field, Xentronium + Heavy Armor or RHull and the Automated Repair Unit make your ships weather huge amounts of damage, that gets mostly repaired each turn. I'm talking multiple attacks from a half dozen Doomstars with just about anything short of a Stellar Converter.

Now look at the weapons...

Heavy Phasor (7-30) + Autofire 3x (21-90) + HE Focus +50% (32-135) + Structural A. and Shield Piercing = 2x (64 - 270) x 20 Units = 1280 to 5400 Long Range Dmg per turn.

Phasor (5-20) + AF 3x (15-60) + HE Focus +50% (23 - 90) + Str. A. and Sheild P. 2x (46 - 180) x 40 Units = 1840 to 7200 Short Range Damage per turn.

The upper end of that damage is 12,600 per turn, roughly equivalent to 8 Stellar Converters. Additionally, this is damage that bypasses shields and armor and has 3x chance of hitting the ship drive, making it explode and damage all the ships around it.

Using disruptors instead of Phasors is even more devastating, if you manage to research the physics tree 5x past the end of new tech.

Edit: You need the standard phasors doubling as point defense because Damper Field equipped ships have one major weakness: emissions guided warheads. With no shield, there's a small chance they'll hit your ship drive and blow up the ship, even if it's 99% functional.

Edited by Luridis