Looking for a proofreader or two

Lexx

Like the title says. I am currently working on a small quest mod for Fallout: New Vegas. All dialogue is already written, I just need someone to go over everything and check for bad grammar, missing commas and stupid sentences.

The proofreader should be a native english speaker, the used english is the american one (it's set in California, after all). Being a skilled writer would be very useful as well.

Would be fancy if folks around here could help me out. If interested, either post in this thread or write me a private message.

Thanks in advance.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I'm sorry I would love to help, but despite trying to use American English on this site I frequently lapse back into English and therefore doubt my ability to proofread your dialogue. However I would say good luck, and would be most interested in using your mod the next time I download New Vegas, if appropriate. Do you have a tip jar, patreon or some other method of financial support?

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Nay, no money or whatsoever (I just don't think most of my releases are big enough to warrant any serious payment). The only thing I need is feedback for my stuff and positive comments for my ego. :>

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I am a writer. Although I am English, and therefore use the language as God intended, I do write American syntax occasionally. I also love FO:NV.

How much is there to do? Can help but not if its a gazillion words.

Furthermore, do you want proof-reading or editing?

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

I can do it if it isn't too long.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

It's about 160 lines in excel. Not everything needs to be changed. It's probably not a lot to do anyway, but with my limited english skills... some things I am not really sure about.

Don't worry about it would be my advice.

I have to, becaues the file goes to the voice actors next week. original.gif And after that I won't be able anymore to do huge changes...

Proof reading is real work and it's not particularly fulfilling either. I remember from when I had to do it on an MA thesis. Volounteers aren't going to magically appear.

Indeed, but then again, I seem to suffer from this problem with everything. Usually I find it very hard to get me some help with my projects... people just don't seem interested. It's especially driving me nuts when I see how some mods are getting superb voice actors, but the general mod quality is super ****ty (like the writing or quest design)..

Edited by Lexx

I am a writer. Although I am English, and therefore use the language as God intended, I do write American syntax occasionally. I also love FO:NV.

How much is there to do? Can help but not if its a gazillion words.

Furthermore, do you want proof-reading or editing?

Lexx take Monte up on his offer, he is very knowledgeable on writing and he will add  value to the overall Mod

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I've send a pm to Monte and KP. :) I am using google tables, so every change can be tracked and nobody can accidentally overwrite stuff. It should work fine with more than one person flying over it. I hope. :>

I've send a pm to Monte and KP. :) I am using google tables, so every change can be tracked and nobody can accidentally overwrite stuff. It should work fine with more than one person flying over it. I hope. :>

Good thinking, yeah that should be effective 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The only thing I need is feedback for my stuff and positive comments for my ego. :>

Your cat avatar is simply marvelous.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

It's done. As Tigs feared, it is now about fighting in tunnels. The wastelanders have formed a LARPing group and are running around an old vault shouting 'lightning bolt!'

:lol:

John Milton 

• 1 year later...

Over a year since I've created this thread, and now the time has come where I must revive it. Also I've made good experiences here on the forum, so that helps as well.

My current mod project is in the fine tuning- and tweaking-phase right now, which also means... I could really use the help of one or two proofreader again.

So what is this about?

As the one or the other might have noticed, I've spend the past months working on a short campaign for Armed Assault 3. Right now, this thing is completely playable and basically has all the features it needs. Currently I am pretty much only fixing bugs and try to make everything as good as I possibly can.

This project has a bit more text than my New Vegas mod from last year (still *not* a book, though). I tried to keep my shait at a reasonable length, because I am aware of my shortcomings as a writer (I suck), and most importantly, I am planning to get a few voice actors again... which probably will be much harder this time, as they will need to speak in Farsi (Persian) most of the time. For that to work out well, I'll have to let all dialogue get translated into that language first... which makes the proofreading even more important.

Actually, beside proofreading, I also wouldn't mind a little bit of editing here and there (like mentioned, I don't think my writing is necessarily very compelling). I am not going to make any money with this project (in fact, my first calculations imply that I will have to spend quite a few bucks on it), but because it has to feel as good and as polished as possible to me, I am willing to pay some money for this job. Don't get me wrong- I am not rich.. it probably won't be a lot, and certainly not up to industry standard.. but hey, like I wrote above already... I want this thing to turn out as good as I can get it to be.

F0mtWG.png

Anyone around who might be interested in helping out? The text is in a Google Sheets file (super easy to work with + version history). In total it's about 650 lines, I would say. Maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less. Experience with some military bullshait talk would be fancy, but isn't necessary.

Edited by Lexx

Experience with some military bullshait talk would be fancy, but isn't necessary.

This may help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myIB1TrPpTE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgcwyI-NlvI

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!