Bug: Hiravias can cast too many 1st level spells.

AgentTBC

Question

I don't know what caused this but in my current game Hiravias at level 6 can currently cast 11 first level spells per rest.  I believe he should be able to cast 5.  4 base and 1 because he has the "extra first level spell" talent.  I have no idea why he can cast so many spells.    I'm supposed to upload a saved game but the save files are 2.5mb and the forums do not allow uploads of more than 1 mb.  This seems like an oversight on Obsidian's part!

• Like 1

20 answers to this question

did you ever equip him with an item that can boost spells/level?

I know there are riings for priests and wizards that do this, and if you leave them equipped on your characters, saving and loading in certain places/circumstances can cause the bonuses to start stacking.

just saw this last night with my game and Durance.  left Durance at the keep, and he was wearing the ring that boosts priest spells/level.

came back after a few days of adventuring, and now he can cast 18 spells per level.  :p

oh, and he also has 30 damage resistance, from the buff on his armor stacking repeatedly.

Hey guys, 

I currently investigating this issue. Can you upload your save game and your output log to a hosting site?

Thanks guys!

• Like 1

Got a bug :cat:?? Help us squish it!

• In your report Include your *save file* (C:\Users\YourNameHere\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity) and ...
  • PC: *output_log.txt* (In your PillarsOfEternity_Data folder)
  • Mac/Linux: *Player.log* (In your Unity folder)

• Thank you for your help!

Ichthyic:  The save/loading thing causing bonuses to keep stacking was fixed in the patch.  So this must be a new bug.

I also left Hiravias at the keep and this happened after I picked him up.  Maybe they squashed the bug in most areas but forgot to do so for companions at the keep?

• Like 1

I don't have a dropbox account but I'll make one in a bit if I need to upload the saved game, but I've identified how to reproduce the problem.

It occurs when you save/load games UPSTAIRS in Brighthollow while Hiravias is not in your party (ie he's in his room where he waits when not in your group) he gets 1 level 1 spell for every save/load.  It's the same bug as before except it only occurs upstairs at Brighthollow (not in Stormwall Gorge where he is originally recruited) when Hiravias is NOT in your party, and only for the bonus 1st level spell talent.

So it appears there is one special, unlikely to occur case of the same bug as before that still needs to be squashed.  I just happen to have saved my game a bunch of times upstairs at Brighthollow while Hiravias wasn't in my party ;x

Ok.  I assume the same thing happens when any other character has the "bonus level X spell" talent or an item which grants the same, but I don't currently have any of those to check.

It does happen when a character has a "bonus level X spell" item. My Durance can cast nine 1st, 2nd and 3rd level spells at level 7 now because of a ring I gave him before taking him out of my party

XbNTBBO.jpg

The extra casts don't go away either even if I use them up, take the ring off and rest. The cap is permanently increased

Edited by Nordicus

For me Hiravias (Lvl 11) also can cast too many 1st level spells (13) I never gave him an ring that allows more spells . He just has the level 1 bonus spell ability:

tuc4pog7.jpg

One thing I dont understand: these spells are unlimited. Everytime he casts a level 1 (or 2) spell the counter goes directly back from 12 to 13 spells left. Or is this because: "As druids gain power, their weaker spells eventually shift to per encounter use." ?

It also happened to me, I have both Aloth and Hiravias able to cast more spells per day/encounter that is expected at their lvl (12) after sending them to Cad Nua for a time, though I DID NOT give Hiravias any item that boost the number of castable spell per day/encounter. Sadly, I suspect the bug also appear with the talent Bonus lvl x Spell, i gave these talents for lvl 1, 3 and 4 spells to Haravias and now he can cast 7 of them per day without boosting item . . .

My Hiravias can now cast 17 first-level spells, without using any wearable items or any spell boosts during level-up... whereas I am playing a druid, who feels quite slighted by his measly 4.   Because I didn't really need another druid, Hiravias spent most of the early game on the bench, until Twin Elms opened up and it was time to start his personal quest--so I don't know exactly when or how this happened.  It may be during the leveling up process, as it keeps increasing as the game goes on.  But it's kind of funny, actually--with my own character I find it hard to use all 4 spells of any tier during a single battle ... let alone two druids with 54 spells between them.  Talk about a wrecking crew.

Regardless, by level 11 the game certainly seems to treat the druid player character (Savannah Folk, White-that-

Wends) differently (19 total spells) than the companion Hiravias (35 total spells).

Broken down, my PC has:  Level I (4), Level II (4), Level III (3), Level IV (4), Level V (3), Level VI (1)

compared to Hiravias:        Level I (17), Level II (4), Level III (4), Level IV (4), Level V (4), Level VI (2)

Edited by kalimeeri
  • Like 1

My Hiravias can cast 23 level 1 spells (level 12 character) but no equipment to add spells. He was at level 7 at my stronghold when he joined my level 12 party so did some immediate level-ups to 12. I thought it a bit odd.

My Hiravias has 10 first level spell casts. After I picked the bonus 1st level spell for Aloth, he started displaying the same symptoms. But he can also cast eight 3rd level spells. He's been wearing Ring of the Selonan for a while, so I think that also causes spell slot stacking.

Here's a savegame: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9gqvy119sw1j2jt/spell%20slot%20stacking%205239326e-434d-4388-acc8-54c86acb3753%20autosave.savegame?dl=0

Edited by El Cubo

For me it's being caused by

1. Not having the members in my active party

2. They were equipped with either the rings that give a spell cast bonus OR the talent that gives you an extra spell cast

3. Within my stronghold, (from the room where you rest on your bed for rest bonuses) every time that I descend the stairs I find that the spell cast count in the tier boosted by the talent or item increases pernamently. So if Hiravias can cast say 40 tier 1 spells and is not in my party, descending those stairs would increase it to 41 since he has that bonus tier 1 spell cast talent mentioned.

Interestingly enough I went to the Gilded veil inn, entered and exited through the front door, returned them to my party and noticed the spell count went up for one for Aloth who only has the bonus forth tier spell talent but not Hiravias who has the bonus first tier spell talent.  Went to the dyrford village inn and did the same but nothing happened. Not sure what's causing this but it's definitely involved with entering and exiting/moving from certain areas. Here's my save and log. Also if the party member is on some minor/average/major adventure and is busy, the glitch doesn't seem to affect them for the time being.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/frxnnlog07juko1/7921ddce-a4c3-4038-8dc7-6f09a249973d%20quicksave.savegame?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x71q5vjn5tjesi2/output_log.txt?dl=0

Edited by Dinky Dino