Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Spell system is god awful.

spell wizard pillars of eternity resting camping

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

Abbey

Abbey

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 2 posts

Sorry but it's really really really terrible! You have to rest everytime you have been in combat just to regenerate your spells. So basically, you need to run around with 8000 campfire kits in your stash? You even run out of spells DURING combat!!! What kind of amateur wizard has to take a nap after casting 4 spells?

Wtf, man? Why couldn't you just make the spell system work like Neverwinter Nights or something like that? What's the point of this? I did one hour of playing wizard and got so annoyed and tired of it that I rage-quit the game.

Lame, lame, lame.

Edited by Abbey, 02 April 2015 - 05:36 PM.

Katarack21

Katarack21

Chief Eldritch Abomination of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3056 posts
  • Steam:Katarack21
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

tumblr_lxsim4rKzh1qmutyeo1_500.jpg

• sims796 and Matt516 like this

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Not if you're a Priest!

6_u

Parsong

Parsong

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 149 posts

No, no, no....you have to auto-attack for 90% of the game if you play Wiz.  That is good game design, Josh said so.  All those IE classics got it wrong, casters don't cast, they auto attack. Save your spells for hard battles, and control real classes like Grieving Milf inbetween.

Ranger,  mean Wizard!

(No But seriously, give your Wiz an arbelast at least he'll do damage on small fights.)

Edited by Parsong, 02 April 2015 - 05:51 PM.

Namutree

Namutree

Compulsive Double Poster of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1711 posts

You're not talking about the spell system; you're talking about the wizard. Different classes have different spell systems, if the wizard doesn't do it for you, try a Cipher instead, or a Druid.

The wizard is really good, but kinda a pain since you have to manage your spells carefully and not use more of them than you need while still making use of them when you need to. Not everyone likes that kind of resource management; if that includes you go ahead and pick a different spell casting class. They made them function differently for a reason.

I think the spell spamming Druids and Ciphers with their steady level progress are kinda boring. I much prefer the resource management oriented wizards who start off weak but end up powerhouses with uber spells like confusion are more interesting.

• Matt516 likes this

Abbey

Abbey

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 2 posts

OK, I may try one of the other spell casters then. But the wizard is dead to me! DEAD!!!

frustrated-meme-300x271.jpg

Cantousent

Cantousent

Forum Moderator

• Validating
  • 5895 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer

OK, I may try one of the other spell casters then. But the wizard is dead to me! DEAD!!!

Say it ain't so! Actually, I'm still having a blast with my mage. Of course, I was somewhat dismayed to find out that I'd ended up with two, but no biggie. As long as Wizards are viable, I don't care if they're gimpy in one particular game or another. I'm still going to play one.
  • Lephys likes this

Mungri

Mungri

The Lord God of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 830 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
OP is dead to me.

demeisen

demeisen

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 365 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Sorry but it's really really really terrible! You have to rest everytime you have been in combat just to regenerate your spells. So basically, you need to run around with 8000 campfire kits in your stash?

I can assure you that you don't have to do that!  I'm playing a wizard PC on Hard mode (max = 2 campfires, well short of 8000).  I don't rest every time I've been in combat.  I still manage to cast spells in most fights - the bigger the fight, the more I cast.  If you're casting everything you have in every single fight, that's not how it's meant to be played.  In PnP, most DMs won't even allow you to rest spam.

In spite of playing the opposite of how you say I "have to", my wizard is the top damage dealer in the party by a wide margin, and that's on top of the AOE CC and debuffs he dishes out.  It just takes a different style of play that rewards medium term thinking over short term thinking.

• Katarack21, Matt516 and fabc like this

mrmonocle

mrmonocle

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 524 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

Grieving Milf inbetween.

lold

• jackjack likes this

Skor

Skor

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 41 posts

Sorry but it's really really really terrible! You have to rest everytime you have been in combat just to regenerate your spells. So basically, you need to run around with 8000 campfire kits in your stash? You even run out of spells DURING combat!!! What kind of amateur wizard has to take a nap after casting 4 spells?

Wtf, man? Why couldn't you just make the spell system work like Neverwinter Nights or something like that? What's the point of this? I did one hour of playing wizard and got so annoyed and tired of it that I rage-quit the game.

Lame, lame, lame.

The 1st and 2nd level kind.  What ever you do, don't play any classic table top role playing games.  I'd hate to see your head explode.

• Lephys likes this

Lephys

Lephys

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Say it ain't so! Actually, I'm still having a blast with my mage.

... I see what you did there. :)

Jerm

Jerm

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 57 posts

You had to offload your entire arsenal of spells to kill 3 Xaurips?

Wow, what difficulty are you playing at?

• Matt516 likes this

Badesumofu

Badesumofu

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 3 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I really enjoy the challenge of managing short and long term resources. I challenge myself to see how long I can go without rest. There is a good balance of per encounter and per rest spells and abilities available for a well built party. Best of all, there is actually a point to trying to conserve rest, since it is somewhat limited.

I think they got it just right, myself. When you are controlling 6 party members, you want each individual to spend the majority of time auto-attacking, IMO. It means that unleashing a Fireball is actually a big deal as well, makes it more satisfying when I pull out my real firepower to tackle a more difficult encounter.

Matt516

Matt516

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1159 posts
  • Steam:Pungent Raindeer King
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer

Sorry but it's really really really terrible! You have to rest everytime you have been in combat just to regenerate your spells. So basically, you need to run around with 8000 campfire kits in your stash?

I can assure you that you don't have to do that!  I'm playing a wizard PC on Hard mode (max = 2 campfires, well short of 8000).  I don't rest every time I've been in combat.  I still manage to cast spells in most fights - the bigger the fight, the more I cast.  If you're casting everything you have in every single fight, that's not how it's meant to be played.  In PnP, most DMs won't even allow you to rest spam.

In spite of playing the opposite of how you say I "have to", my wizard is the top damage dealer in the party by a wide margin, and that's on top of the AOE CC and debuffs he dishes out.  It just takes a different style of play that rewards medium term thinking over short term thinking.

^ yup.

Lephys

Lephys

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Another funny thing:

In D&D, as a Wizard, if you had prepped 2 PewPew spells, and you cast both of those, you could still have the ability to cast more LvL-1 spells, but be unable to cast any more PewPew spells because all you had left was GlowShield spells.

In PoE, if you cast 2 out of 4 spells, the last two can still be whatever is in your Grimoire, rather than specific, individual spells.

Edited by Lephys, 02 April 2015 - 06:54 PM.

• Namutree likes this

Parsong

Parsong

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 149 posts

Grieving Milf inbetween.

lold

but its true!  :w00t:

• jackjack likes this

Katarack21

Katarack21

Chief Eldritch Abomination of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3056 posts
  • Steam:Katarack21
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

'Tis why I always played a Sorcerer. Sure, I had maybe 2/3'rd the spell selection...but I could cast 6 fireballs a day!!!

redbird

redbird

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 27 posts

"Why couldn't you just make the spell system work like Neverwinter Nights or something like that?"

you realize both the PoE wizard and wizards in nwn use the same resource management system (vancian magic) right

Tigranes

Tigranes

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 10491 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Do continue in one of the many threads about resting and/or magic.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: spell, wizard, pillars of eternity, resting, camping

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users