You can get Gaze of Adragan traps from the trapmaker dude. I've never had any interest in checking the scroll because they're easy to make, but there might actually be something there worth taking a look at.
Also, story purposes. You get a better ending if your stronghold is complete and, frankly, it's not like you're ever hurting for money in this game.
I do agree that it definitely feels like an awkwardly added on feature.
Oh hell no. Now you're stretching it. They've developed the Stronghold (at least on paper) since the Kickstarter.
But it's always been somewhat of a B priority. I do feel it is kind of a bottle-neck. I kind of want to tell the Keep Guardian just "STFU and fix the Eastern Barbican so I can get out of here!" but it's more like "You have to fix it for me my Lord". Can't I threaten the statue with a Hammer and Chisel or something?
That might seem like I don't like the Stronghold (I do like it) but on my second playthrough I didn't even want the Stronghold because I wanted to roleplay a different type of character but I still had to "get it". Meanwhile, the statue mentions a path that takes longer to get to Defiance Bay, and I was all "Sure I'll make that trek, where do I go?" but nothing. I ended up fixing the Eastern Barbican and went on my way.
Is there some entrance into the Endless Paths from a nearby map? (Woodend Plains?). That'd be pretty interesting to be honest (and a tangible option to take if you want to ignore the Stronghold all together): "Fix the Eastern Barbican or trek into Dungeon Level 3 and get out at Wooded Plains". Kind of like that mountain pass in Diablo 2 to get to a destination where the ancient tree is (and sub-sequentially get the scroll to teleport to tristram and save cain).
My (reasonably doable(?)) wishlist for the stronghold:
- Trade with Factions (Trade with Raedric, Valian Republic, Twin Elms, Defiance Bay, Gilded Vale etc.)
- Craft specific items for visitors (Incentives to build crafting buildings)
- More bounties (And a bounty warden in Admeth's Den or similar if you choose to not get the Stronghold)
- An Inn merchant on the first floor of Brighthollow (Probably the most important, imo).
- Visitors or Hirelings that upgrade your specific built locations (Merchant Hirelings. Currently all the Hirelings are Mercenaries)
- Adventurers or Companions actually aiding with the construction and maintanence of the Stronghold based on their background, class, and culture. We have all these backgrounds, but they only really matter on the MC. If you made a bunch of Laborer Adventurers, why couldn't they be "Laborers" for the Stronghold? (2 Days construction becomes 1 Day Construction?)
- Chapel Diety upgrade. Do you follow Wael? Magran? Skaen? Etc. Upgrade the Chapel to honor a specific Diety.
- In light of the Chapel Upgrade, maybe being able to Upgrade various buildings? Tier 2, Tier 3, etc.
- Send Adventurers or Hirelings to patrol the roads (And minimize Bandit lootings).
- Depending on how you deal with the Adra Dragon, hire her to defend the Stronghold (for the time being). Or gain some boost or defense mechanism if you complete the Endless Paths. Something tangible (Maybe there was something but I completely missed it? If there is, then it should be more clarified).
My (wacky) wishlist for way WAY into the future:
- Wage war or diplomacy.
- Construct war machines, hire soldiers/troops.
- Research technologies.
- Conquer (Exterminate).
- Send scouts to Living Lands, Rautai etc. (Explore).
- Mine resources, tax citizens (Exploit).
- Create outposts and gain more territory (Expand).
- 4X RPG ;P
The latter list would probably require a complete worldmap, allowing the Player to adventure with their party whilst maintaining their base of operations, and, preferably, have characters you meet in the world (with your MC) react to you depending on your status as ruler and their own faction.
Edited by Osvir, 08 April 2015 - 11:07 PM.