Performance drop after a few map transitions

Sensuki

Question

18 answers to this question

I haven't experienced this (yet) myself. Does it happen even early on, or only after you've been playing the same chr. for a while?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Yes I'm having this problem as well (Mac). I'm unsure if it's triggered by map transitions but the framerate will plummet around every 30 mins making the game unplayable until restart. It seems to drop very slightly over time just before tanking.

Hi,

I'm on Mac and got this problem since the very beginning. After a loading screen a frame-rate may or may not drop - it look random for me. It's extremely annoying but you don't have to restart the game. Just go to graphics options and check/uncheck Vsync (it depends on what you currently got), save the settings and go back to the game. Now the frame-rate is normal :)

The problem is I got to do it every 5-10 minutes so I really hope (expect?) to see it fixed in the next patch.

After I do a few map transitions, my frame rate takes a huge dump - down to about 30-40 in every area. Have to exit the game, then restart to fix it.

Anyone else having that issue?

I noticed this as well, now about 25h in a game. When I go to Copperlane or any other district I get the framerate issue as you do, restarting game solves the problem, but it's just temporary.

My config is:

- i7 3630QM @ 2.4GHz(capped at 3.1GHz I believe)

- 8GB RAM

-GeForce M660GTX 2GB

and game is installed on SSD drive

Also I don't know how are the save files compressed, but looking at the screen and location size, as I progressed in a game it has taken longer and longer for loading/saving the game.

Edited by Sidushi

Hi,

I'm on Mac and got this problem since the very beginning. After a loading screen a frame-rate may or may not drop - it look random for me. It's extremely annoying but you don't have to restart the game. Just go to graphics options and check/uncheck Vsync (it depends on what you currently got), save the settings and go back to the game. Now the frame-rate is normal :)

The problem is I got to do it every 5-10 minutes so I really hope (expect?) to see it fixed in the next patch.

Just tried this but didn't make a difference for me.

Having to restart the client because of drops in performance sounds like a telltale sign of a memory leak. I haven't experienced it myself but then again I am not far into the game and have pretty much stopped playing because of the loading/insane stats bugs. I really wish developers would start using programs like Purify/Valgrind or something similar for whatever language they are using as they code to avoid heap/stack memory errors.

Played for a longer session today than previously and really noticed the memory leak issue degrading performance over time. Areas which previously were buttery smooth started to stutter more and more. Restarting the game reverts performance back to normal.

Please look into this devs - memory leaks are not cool.

Edited by Justinian

For me this is becoming the most infuriating issue I'm facing. Although not gamebreaking it's a quality of life issue that is really detracting from the gameplay experience. Restarting every 20 mins is like a kid kicking your chair on an aeroplane, or swimming through a warm patch in the pool. I simply can't enjoy it anymore.

I had something odd happen after about a 5-6 hour session last night. I got a "windows is running low on memory error". I ran Memtest successfully and ran a couple of other games to see what happened and they ran fine.

Weird.

Go hang your glory on the wall
There comes a time when castles fall

I had the same issue last night. Was doing the endless dungeon and when floor 4 loaded the framriate took a MAJOR nose dive. I had been playing for probably 2 hrs before that happened.

I closed the game out and ran a Norton cleanup and rebooted. Issue fixed.

For some reason this game is taxing on some computers...

Hopefully patch 1.4 helps in this department. Would be good to get confirmation that they are actively looking into memory leaks and other factors that slow down the game over a session.

Edited by Justinian

I haven't noticed these slowdowns, and I don't have a cutting edge computer at all. i5-5500, 16 gb ram, AMD 6950 w/ 2 GB vRAM and the game on a mechanical HD. I kept the game running for hours and put my computer to sleep without closing it. When I woke it today, I was able to keep playing without any slowdown. I checked my ram usage and PoE was using ~750 MB. I'm not sure there's a memory leak, I wonder if those with slowdowns don't have enough ram?

edit: FWIW, I play in borderless fullscreen windowed mode (-popupwindow). I wonder if that makes a difference.

Edited by agris