Journalism and bias in the gaming industry

Blarghagh

I have a hard time taking this seriously, though.

Its hard to beat that social programming that tells you that if you believe in conspiracies you're a nut and people will shun you.

I've no problem with an idea just because its a bit far out there, I just need some evidence that supports it.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I have a hard time taking this seriously, though.

It's just one of many information dumps. It's takes a while to make some sense out of it, but it is fun playing detective :) Most of the time it leads to nowhere, other times it leads to GameJournoPros.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I'm 100% on board with not removing or changing the limerick, but to group me and anyone else who is a homosexual/bisexual/whatever into the same group as the one person you are talking about is ridiculous, and causes the argument to lose credibility. It's especially infuriating when you hear things like "SJW hate" spoken in the same breath as these wonderfully constructed epithets.

It's upsetting because I don't want games to censor themselves or to be forced into representing members of minorities in a certain way because the idiot mobs don't like it. However, it's hard for me to voice that opinion, when the people I share it with are actively pointing at me as the culprit in the matter, just because I happen to be gay.

The whole "you're with us or against us" mentality coupled with petulant insults just doesn't make for good forum conversation.

I happen to think that you, Bayzent, are not among the ones who are lumping me in with the other monstrosities, I only quoted you so I could explain why I believe the mods have been shutting down those threads.

Your position is perfectly understandable McMayhem, and admirable, but one cannot help being disappointed and disgusted when on reading these threads there are actually people whom are advocating for the Neo Nazi Ian Miles Cheong and excusing the genocide that Erica Victorious preaches for. To any right thinking people this is immoral, sickening, twisted and disgusting, yet these people whom defend it and say it is "just a joke" are so blinded by their own hatred for people as to not see that it is first not funny, and second the raving of a diseased mind.

I do not hold all gay people to be like this, most gay people are just people, normal, right thinking, moral and sensible, whom just happen to have a slightly different sexual favour than the majority. It is not a thing worthy of discussion really, as they'll be treated no differently by me than any other individual. However the people whom are arguing for Neo Nazi's and genocide advocates to be sated are immoral and hateful and must be opposed, they are sick of mind and are a seed of hatred in society that anybody sensible knows to never cater to, never listen to and never compromise with.

I'm sickened by those whom would do otherwise, and it has nothing to do with their sexuality, gender or anything but their individual decision to enable hatred and support such obvious evil. I do not use that word often, because it is often overused and rendered impotent, but there is nothing else I can find that fits.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Its hard to beat that social programming that tells you that if you believe in conspiracies you're a nut and people will shun you.

Heh, "social programming". It almost sounds like you accept the premise that people's thinking can be influenced by unquestioned and widely held societal norms.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

I'm 100% on board with not removing or changing the limerick, but to group me and anyone else who is a homosexual/bisexual/whatever into the same group as the one person you are talking about is ridiculous, and causes the argument to lose credibility. It's especially infuriating when you hear things like "SJW hate" spoken in the same breath as these wonderfully constructed epithets.

It's upsetting because I don't want games to censor themselves or to be forced into representing members of minorities in a certain way because the idiot mobs don't like it. However, it's hard for me to voice that opinion, when the people I share it with are actively pointing at me as the culprit in the matter, just because I happen to be gay.

The whole "you're with us or against us" mentality coupled with petulant insults just doesn't make for good forum conversation.

I happen to think that you, Bayzent, are not among the ones who are lumping me in with the other monstrosities, I only quoted you so I could explain why I believe the mods have been shutting down those threads.

More likely than not the assumption works though. As for people falling into camps and fighting each other, well you're plenty late to preach about the perils of that - it's a Twitter war, after all.

Man, good thing Obsidian didn't have a quest where you can kill a gay person, that'd have got people even more fired up.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Heh, "social programming". It almost sounds like you accept the premise that people's thinking can be influenced by unquestioned and widely held societal norms.

I wouldn't be too surprised if there are workshops out there talking about changing attitudes and behaviour through gaming....oh wait, there is! starring the PBS guy suggesting that Link should be a woman and m00t (admin of 4chan) among others:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia4iKP6T97g

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I'm 100% on board with not removing or changing the limerick, but to group me and anyone else who is a homosexual/bisexual/whatever into the same group as the one person you are talking about is ridiculous, and causes the argument to lose credibility. It's especially infuriating when you hear things like "SJW hate" spoken in the same breath as these wonderfully constructed epithets. It's upsetting because I don't want games to censor themselves or to be forced into representing members of minorities in a certain way because the idiot mobs don't like it. However, it's hard for me to voice that opinion, when the people I share it with are actively pointing at me as the culprit in the matter, just because I happen to be gay. The whole "you're with us or against us" mentality coupled with petulant insults just doesn't make for good forum conversation. I happen to think that you, Bayzent, are not among the ones who are lumping me in with the other monstrosities, I only quoted you so I could explain why I believe the mods have been shutting down those threads.

More likely than not the assumption works though. As for people falling into camps and fighting each other, well you're plenty late to preach about the perils of that - it's a Twitter war, after all.Man, good thing Obsidian didn't have a quest where you can kill a gay person, that'd have got people even more fired up.

To what assumption are you referring? That all gay people are ****?

Adam Baldwin, is that you?!?! I loved you in Firefly!

Knife-fight-plunger-lick.gif?

Heh, no that was not it, rather amusing you leapt to that though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Said Pavlov's dog (or cat if your avatar is an actual picture of yourself)

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

I wouldn't be too surprised if there are workshops out there talking about changing attitudes and behaviour through gaming....[snip]

I'm just surprised you guys are capable of recognizing the phenomenon but still think patriarchy as an idea is insane.

What can I say? I'm a cat person.

Seriously though, I have no idea what you're getting at.

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Well, they are seeing the idea as one being driven by a group of people, a cabal to be exotic and source-bookey about it. That might be true for this Patriarchy thing, but I've not seen much indicating that (well other than it being the convenient Evil of All, hah)

I wouldn't be too surprised if there are workshops out there talking about changing attitudes and behaviour through gaming....[snip]

I'm just surprised you guys are capable of recognizing the phenomenon but still think patriarchy as an idea is insane.

Not so fast. I said that i wasn't surprised that there are workshops of people believing such things, even if they are completely wrong. That's so fascinating. Intelligent people creating abstract structures and how to fight them.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

What can I say? I'm a cat person.

Seriously though, I have no idea what you're getting at.

I'm talking about conditioned reflexes and how you can program animals to response in a particular way to stimuli.

That said, what discredits the notion of a Patriarchy is both the lack of direction and intent (there is no one really trying to demean women) and the amount of competing information (women's representation that are not demeaning).

The absurdity is that under the idea of Patriarchy subjective reason dictates that due to the tainted nature of the source every content must be tainted as well. So unless a feminist priest decides that it's Kosher then it must be corrupt because of reasons. 

It is a thought model that they want to force on everyone because they believe that it will achieve their ultimate goal of feminist equality; so less of a science and more of a religion.

It ultimately comes down to this; what carries more influence in dictating human behavior, reality or fiction? Most of us believe that people are rational and will form opinions and thought models based on their life experiences rather than fiction. Fiction only creates thought models when its the only source of information, if they don't have any other input then it would lead to misguided notions.

village_idiot.gif

That said, what discredits the notion of a Patriarchy is both the lack of direction and intent (there is no one really trying to demean women) and the amount of competing information (women's representation that are not demeaning).

The absurdity is that under the idea of Patriarchy subjective reason dictates that due to the tainted nature of the source every content must be tainted as well. So unless a feminist priest decides that it's Kosher then it must be corrupt because of reasons. 

It is a thought model that they want to force on everyone because they believe that it will achieve their ultimate goal of feminist equality; so less of a science and more of a religion.

Mod note: Picture turned into link due to circumvention of our language filter. Link here: http://www.harkavagrant.com/nonsense/strawfeministssm.png

Edited by TrueNeutral

Whoever drew that comic has as many psychological issues as an angry feminist.

Whoever drew is most likely an angry feminist, unless they meant something else by "straw feminists".

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Whoever drew is most likely an angry feminist, unless they meant something else by "straw feminists".

They didn't.

Heh, no that was not it, rather amusing you leapt to that though.

Lol sorry. There needs to be a facetious tag on these forums. I didn't mean to sound offended. It's very difficult to offend me, I'm an Irish gay, we don't offend easily. I was hoping the Adam Baldwin remark would illustrate that :-P

Knife-fight-plunger-lick.gif?

Inefficient use of space for that drawing, labours its point into the ground (but that is SOP online :lol:)

Lol sorry. There needs to be a facetious tag on these forums. I didn't mean to sound offended. It's very difficult to offend me, I'm an Irish gay, we don't offend easily. I was hoping the Adam Baldwin remark would illustrate that :-P

Not really, I've seen people use Baldwin or a remark like that seriously intending to slur a person as, well whatever he is to anti-GG people or whatever (I guess he is transmisogohomophobic)

It was drawn by Kate Beaton: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kate_Beaton

Considering her other comics, i think that it is a tungue-and-cheek joke. She's more of a based mom-feminist.

Edited by Meshugger
  • Like 1

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Instead of usual /pol/-influenced infographics in GG, i present you one from /leftypol/

1428261406593.png

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy