[PSA] GAME-BREAKING BUG AFFECTING EVERYONE INCLUDING YOU! Temporary fix for party members only currently.

TrueMenace

Question

http://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/30lmx2/psa_doubleclicking_equipment_bug/

Kirur:

"If you double click an item to equip it to your character, your character loses ALL Passives/Racials/Permanent Buffs, forever.

Dragging and dropping works fine, but do not double click or you might find yourself having to restart your game. Loading the game up from a previous save thankfully does fix it.

webm of the bug in action: http://webmup.com/HArIv/vid.webm

As you can see, I lose several passive effects (And am already missing my Wood Elf racial from a previous time before I learned about the bug), including a talent and a class ability. The abilities remain listed in the abilities/talents section, but if they aren't in active effects, then perhaps you've already encountered the bug first hand.

EDIT: Another webm http://webmup.com/aDSfX/vid.webm

Kana loses his 3rd Weapon Slot as soon as I double click so it's not just a visual display bug, you do actually lose all bonuses.

Also thought I'd stress that it only happens when you double click to REPLACE an item, if the slot is empty you won't lose anything. So please double check before you post saying that it isn't happening to you."

Everyone who has actively tested this has confirmed this.

Update:

Removing characters from your party and then adding them back apparently fixes the bug for party members. But the bug will come back if you double-click to equip items... No fix for PC though.

Update 2:

Anbokr from Reddit:

"Just a heads up, I've tested several of my barbarian passives, and even though they are bugged and not showing under active effects, they are still working behind the scenes. Same deal with my human racial."

No one has confirmed his testings however.

Update 3: More reports that PC passive's/talents/etc aren't working like Nature Godlike's racial due to this bug.

Edited by TrueMenace
  • Like 7

Calibrating...

As far as your companions are concerned, just go to an Inn and there is party manager button there and remove them. Leave the shop interface, and then go back and re-add them. That should fix their stuff from my testings and what others have recorded as well.

Now, the REALLY SCARY is in respect to your own PC. 

My Rogue's reckless assualt modal ability seems bugged as ****ed right now. I can't turn it off. It keeps on "activating" and then says it's being suppressed by the first time I activated it. I don't know how to check if it's working because I can't see my default deflection w/o it.

2015_03_28_00001.jpg

Edited by TrueMenace

Calibrating...

I don't even know how to check whether this has affected me. When does the human passive show up - always or only when their endurance is at 50% or below?

I'm wondering this to, but it's in regards to Eder. I don't see his racial passive anywhere in the Character Sheet. 

Calibrating...

Oh great, I have used double-click all the time to swap gear. Weekend or not, this REALLY warrants a dev reply, quick-like... :(

Agreed. This is terrible.

You may say it's not game-breaking because you can technically continue, but it's definitely spirit- and fun-breaking! This is the kind of thing many will completely restart the game over, so it might as well be game-breaking.

I have to wonder how that bug works. Wish I could help fix it, I love fixing weird bugs. :)

Edited by termokanden

I don't even know how to check whether this has affected me. When does the human passive show up - always or only when their endurance is at 50% or below?

I'm wondering this to, but it's in regards to Eder. I don't see his racial passive anywhere in the Character Sheet. 

Fighting Spirit shows up for my Eder under Abilities, but not Active Effects.  Created a Human to test this and Fighting Spirit does not appear under Active Effects for a new character either (out of combat...).  I assume it would appear there once it triggered in combat, and then disappear when it expired.

Oh great, I have used double-click all the time to swap gear. Weekend or not, this REALLY warrants a dev reply, quick-like... :(

Agreed. This is terrible.

You may say it's not game-breaking because you can technically continue, but it's definitely spirit- and fun-breaking! This is the kind of thing many will completely restart the game over, so it might as well be game-breaking.

I have to wonder how that bug works. Wish I could help fix it, I love fixing weird bugs. :)

I agree.  It seems like something they *might* be able to fix where it would affect existing saves.  That said, I will be starting over tonight :(

They might be able to yes, considering that talent, class and race choices dictate your passives. Surely, those are still available.

I can't remember if I double-clicked to equip anything, but it seems like all the passives are correctly listed. If they are listed, can I assume they are still working?

Fighting Spirit shows up for my Eder under Abilities, but not Active Effects.  Created a Human to test this and Fighting Spirit does not appear under Active Effects for a new character either (out of combat...).  I assume it would appear there once it triggered in combat, and then disappear when it expired.

Wait , are you saying it only shows up for Eder in combat? I don't see it out of combat for him. Haven't tried in-combat yet.

Edited by TrueMenace

Calibrating...

Guys, before you do anything rash, it seems abilities can be re-added from the console. 

So you shouldn't have to restart the game entirely (although I guess this would disable Steam achievements? Not sure...)

Also, maybe a patch will be able to solve it by resetting your character entirely (e.g. move all equipped gear to inventory and allow you to level-up from scratch)?

Edited by Quantics
  • Like 1

Guys, before you do anything rash, it seems abilities can be re-added from the console. 

So you shouldn't have to restart the game entirely (although I guess this would disable Steam achievements? Not sure...)

Also, maybe a patch will be able to solve it by resetting your character entirely (e.g. move all equipped gear to inventory and allow you to level-up from scratch)

That will disable achievements. But more importantly, if you do the long convoluted method through the IE mod, it will add the abilities/talents TWICE so you get double the benefit so you technically creating another bug...

Calibrating...

Crap, I double clicked armor on all my guys a significant way back.  <sigh>  Now I gotta see whats not actually there.  If my PC is affected then I guess I'm shelving the game until they fix it.  I'd say this is a red alert bug that they need to get on ASAP.

Wait , are you saying it only shows up for Eder in combat? I don't see it out of combat for him. Haven't tried in-combat yet.

Fighting Spirit requires low endurance, so I assume it won't be active out of combat. I just tested Constant Recovery though and it is not listed under active effects unless you are in combat.

Edited by termokanden

Fighting Spirit requires low endurance, so I assume it won't be active out of combat. I just tested Constant Recovery though and it is not listed under active effects unless you are in combat.

Shouldn't the racial abilities still be listed under your abilities section (not under the Active Effects)? I don't see Fighting Spirit for Eder anywhere. I see Death's Usher for my PC (death godlike) out of combat.

Ok now i see fighting spirit after I quit the game and reloaded. Wtf is going on

Edited by TrueMenace

Calibrating...

Shouldn't the racial abilities still be listed under your abilities section (not under the Active Effects)? I don't see Fighting Spirit for Eder anywhere. I see Death's Usher for my PC (death godlike) out of combat.

Fighting Spirit shows up under Abilities on the Character Sheet.  As far as I can tell, all racial abilities show up under Abilities.  Some Racials show up under Abilities, and Active Effects, even when not in combat.  Wood Elf Distant Advantage and Island Auamau Armed to the Teeth, for example.

I re-installed the backer beta and was able to recreate this issue with Armed to the Teeth.  Brand new Island Auamau, double click to replace armor.  Armed to the Teeth gone from Active Effects and 3rd weapon set locked.

I blame Sensuki ;)

They ARE on this one, as acknowledged by JSawyer on SA (said issue has already been fixed but needs to be thoroughly tested before releasing a patch). Also the fact that I have been seeing many green-highlighted nicknames reading topics on a weekend suggests that they're taking this very seriously.

They ARE on this one, as acknowledged by JSawyer on SA (said issue has already been fixed but needs to be thoroughly tested before releasing a patch). Also the fact that I have been seeing many green-highlighted nicknames reading topics on a weekend suggests that they're taking this very seriously.

Can you provide a link to Josh saying that please?

Lol they charge money to register at SA?  Who the **** is paying that?  I guess they are right, the internet does make you stupid.

Alright, so it definitely does look like:

->Double-click does kill class-based active effects like Defender, doesn't seem to kill attribute effects

->For party members everything is restored by dismissing and recruiting them, e.g. Alroth's Distant Advantage that he lost 10 hours ago

Funnily enough my Moon Godlike Cipher never began with any active effects, and the focus-based talents I took aren't affected, so I can continue on. But hope the real fix comes out soon - good to see Adam's post.

We do have a fix for this, and I'm trying to make it retroactive, so it will fix any save games that have this problem. 

Please hotfix this, don't wait to release it next week or something...it's the weekend O_O

• Like 1

Calibrating...

Yup, game is on hold for me now.  This is a game breaking bug imo if you have already triggered it.  Going to wait until they fix this.

Off to play some hearthstone.  Please hurry with the hotfix (as in don't wait till next week's patch before fixing this).