Major Plot Progression Bug - Act 2 - The Duc Invitation

eRe4s3r

Question

I have encountered a major plot progression issue regarding getting an invitation for the DUC from the Knights of the Crucible. I have a save before that and 1 showing it, but you only need the one showing it I think ;) Where as far as I can see, there is no way to complete this quest and thus progress the main plot in this save state. (But if you find a work-around, please tell me.. though I will simply throw this save away and reload)

This can happen when you have these 2 quests active (with exactly these states) at the same time...

Winds of Steel - Research Given to Courier, Courier dead during fight - Quest not reported to Commander Clyver

EbsstBkl.jpg

Invitation Quest -> Only "good standing" with crucible knights -> But Dialog with Clyver loops infinitely and the dialog choices are not going to next quest step because his "directive" (Winds of Steel) is not completed

37m9cYgl.jpg

Save (Standing right in front of him with the infinite looping and very very weird dialog a click away)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/t84jjmhpo7v6jha/e6f43dbc06824c1c981e0bc38ad015b9_13516728_CrucibleKeep.zip

Also worth noting, before I went to the crucible knights, but after getting the invitation quest, there was 1 hostile Metal Knight Automata and 3 dead bodies in front of the keep. With nobody even acknowledging this after battle. So yeah...

I have a save around 15 minutes before getting the invitation quest thankfully so I am not entirely stuck, but someone else might not be so lucky.

So I hope this is the right way to report this kind of bug.

• Like 1

I have a similar bug, or I've misunderstood something.

I saved Aranroed, got back to the keep, the fight with the forge knights worked properly.  But I'm unable to ask him about an invite after.

I tried leaving and rentering, the map resets so everyone is back in their positions but still clyver won't let me talk to him about the invitation.

I previously spoke to him about it before doing the winds of steel quest and he said I was too popular with the dozen.

Now the conversation line to ask him about the delegation is highlighted even after I use it. 

I've shut off all the other routes it seems, and I can't even barge in.  This feels broken.

Yes for me the conversation lines (ask for invitation) stays highlighted even after selecting it.. it seems if you have any open quests that are related to the NPC named Clyver the main plot quest bugs out. And all other factions for me have too bad dispositions to even ask them. Lucky he who has a save not short before this.

I have no save, I messed up very early on entering the city I think.

Looking at the conversation tree xml I have refused set on both dozens and clyver, but the webb backup invite only triggers with angry set on all three. 

I also told the lord about the robbery plan so the doemenels won't deal at all.

It looks like my only option here is to run in and murder everyone so they get angry at me?  Is this really by design??

It's hard to believe no one test played through a path where you do all the quests for the crucile and dozens and tip off the Lord about the robbery.

I think I'll just edit things so clyver doesn't care so much about the dozen. 

Then it seems to you have discovered a second issue related to the Duc Invitation plot event ;/ And in both cases it's a plot stopper.

Having played it again from my (thank the havens, quicksave right before leaving areas, long burned in muscle memory from BG2 ;p), this time in the "correct" order I finally understand what you meant with the automata fight. For me that ENTIRE fight never happened and thus the main plot got stuck there and could never continue.

I hope that the powers that be fix this in an upcoming patch with a bit more solid fail-safe scripting...

Guest Matt Sheets

Hello,

Can you attach your save game and ouput log so we can attempt to reproduce the issue?

Savegames

Try to include a save file from right before as well as during the issue you are reporting

Windows Location: %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity\Saves

Mac Location: \Library\Application Support\Pillars of Eternity\Saved Games

Linux Location: \Home\.local\share\PillarsOfEternity\SavedGames

Output Log

When the issue occurs, close the game client, find this file, then attach it to your post

Windows Steam Location: \Steam\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\output_log.txt

Mac Location: \Library\Logs\Unity\Player.log

Linux Location: \Home\.config\unity3d\Obsidian Entertainment\Pillars of Eternity\Player.log

Screenshots

Attach any pictures or links to pictures that can help us understand the issue

Thanks!

Hi in the save zip I attached in first post you are 1 click away from reproducing the issue. Wings of Steel is still active and can not be completed which is a requirement for Cyrver to accept you as "honorary high inquisitor", the Forge Knight fight in the Keep never happened when I entered and Cyrver has an infinite dialog that remains highlighted and never triggers the invitation nor concludes Wings of Steel nor Forge Knights.

Or summed up, in the attached save when you click on Cyrver you can see 2 quests were "skipped" in the game logic by not "finishing" them before getting the invitiation quest. The save quite literally puts you right in front of him ;)

Wings of Steel is still active but can not be concluded because invitation quest overrides dialog.

Forge Knights going crazy never triggered because Wings of Steel wasn't concluded, so you can not get honorary status with crucible knights.

I sadly have nothing else to add, no output log from that time (because it was 65mb..) and no save before. Unless you mean 3 hours before ;P

Guest Matt Sheets

Sorry about not noticing the save was attached.

I've forwarded it to the developers to see if they can reproduce it.

Thanks!

I have a similar issue with the Doemenel line. I picked up the letter early on, then when I reached this quest I spoke to the Doemenels and didn't mention I was carrying the letter (asked about the trials), so got asked to retrieve it. I then stole the Jewel of White March and tried to hand in the letter and the jewel, but the conversation option wasn't available.

It wasn't a blocker for me because I could fall back on the Dozens, but I still have that quest line (A Two Story Job) in a stuck state.

Yeah, I did a couple quests for both the Dozens' and the Knights' now neither faction will give me more quests.

Makes PERFECT sense for my Benevolent 3, Rational 3, Honest 2, Compassionate 1 character to have to slaughter one group or the other to reduce my standing so I can continue the main story line ...

Edited by Suhiir

Hello,

I kind of have a similar problem. I want to get this invite.

Clyver says: "I`d like to help you, but I can`t until I see the high justice directives. Orders are Orders, even for me"

From what I know, I am not a member of any fraction. but I cannot get any tasks in any fraction

(Doemenel: Reputation:Terror, overwhelmingly bad, I guess I killed all off them)

(Cruicible: Hero, moderatley good); By accident, I "finished" the quest "unwanted"  since I met him before i got a part.. I let him go,

I also found the guards all dead..

I also finished Built to last)

(The Dozen: I finsihed Rouge knight; All, Faintly good)

The Dozen don`t help me, since I am to good of a friend to Cruicible... therefore the only way to solve the problem is, to get the invite from the knights)

Any ideas/help?

Have the same problem.

Finished all quests for the Knights and the Dozen. Also i annihilated the Doemenel.

The Dozen dont want to give me their invitation because i helped the knights, and the knights dont want to give me their invitation because i helped the dozen :/

c9QfNZB.png

save:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8eJLqXOxWmKbFo3M0VTdGQ0M0U/view?usp=sharing

Have the same problem.

Finished all quests for the Knights and the Dozen. Also i annihilated the Doemenel.

The Dozen dont want to give me their invitation because i helped the knights, and the knights dont want to give me their invitation because i helped the dozen :/

I have the same problem. I did one quest for the Dozen before knowing Crucible Knights would have a problem with that. And even killing all the Dozens and having extremely bad reputation with them doesn't open up the conversation option with Knights.

• Like 1

I almost feel like there either is a fourth option or there should be, as Lady Webb mentions you could go under the authority of Dunryd Row, but she wants to avoid that. It seems like if you exhaust the three other possibilities, there should be some way for her to relent and just send you under her authority.

I want to thank everyone for the additional info and files.

We've narrowed down the issue, which involves getting Winds of Steel from the Crucible Knights while having been already "committed" to help either the Dozens or Doemenels, and we'll include the fix for this soon (likely going into the next patch).

This issue was unrelated to what affected eRe4s3r's game (resolved already in the upcoming patch), but this thread alerted us to the additional problem.

Thank you again for your help and patience, folks.

Jorge.

• Like 1

We've narrowed down the issue, which involves getting Winds of Steel from the Crucible Knights while having been already "committed" to help either the Dozens or Doemenels, and we'll include the fix for this soon (likely going into the next patch).

This issue was unrelated to what affected eRe4s3r's game (resolved already in the upcoming patch), but this thread alerted us to the additional problem.

Jorge.

that's amazing and you guys are doing amazing work I just hope you can notice my thread and tell me if there is a way to ever save my file I have already started a new game but I lost 33 hours and the game broke on me

Jorge.

Glad to have helped

Jorge.

that's amazing and you guys are doing amazing work I just hope you can notice my thread and tell me if there is a way to ever save my file I have already started a new game but I lost 33 hours and the game broke on me

Your bug is definitely very bad, but you need to upload your broken/stuck savegame somewhere or the devs can't reproduce it on their end.

Jorge.

Does this mean that accepting (but not completing!) The Bronze Beneath the Lake won't block us from continuing the Knights' quest chain?

I'm in the same situation Reverant is, very frustrating. I've also done just about every quest there is up to this point. I guess I'm going to shelve the game until the next patch and see if the Knights will represent me in the hearing, after doing them the slight favor of saving them from complete annihilation.

Edited by PolyMorphVZ

There is, but you have to get all three groups angry at you.  I wasn't able to determine how to get someone angry at you from the code.

In my playthrough, I killed all three groups. I didn't want to help any of those crooks. Lady Webb congratulated me on that and said something about a "rare show of incompetence", but sent me to attend the hearing nevertheless. Killing all three groups + Lady Webb leads to madness and game over btw, which is great.

McClure, accepting the quest sufficed to cause the problem. As I've mentioned elsewhere, we've fixed it for an upcoming patch.

Until that arrives, the workaround entails turning each faction hostile before speaking with Webb or loading a save game made before having both Winds of Steel and Bronze Beneath the Lake at once. I know that's probably of little consolation, folks, but I wanted to share just in case it helps someone in the meantime.

Jorge

• Like 1