Major Plot Progression Bug - Act 2 - The Duc Invitation

eRe4s3r

Question

I have encountered a major plot progression issue regarding getting an invitation for the DUC from the Knights of the Crucible. I have a save before that and 1 showing it, but you only need the one showing it I think ;) Where as far as I can see, there is no way to complete this quest and thus progress the main plot in this save state. (But if you find a work-around, please tell me.. though I will simply throw this save away and reload)

This can happen when you have these 2 quests active (with exactly these states) at the same time...

Winds of Steel - Research Given to Courier, Courier dead during fight - Quest not reported to Commander Clyver

EbsstBkl.jpg

Invitation Quest -> Only "good standing" with crucible knights -> But Dialog with Clyver loops infinitely and the dialog choices are not going to next quest step because his "directive" (Winds of Steel) is not completed

37m9cYgl.jpg

Save (Standing right in front of him with the infinite looping and very very weird dialog a click away)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/t84jjmhpo7v6jha/e6f43dbc06824c1c981e0bc38ad015b9_13516728_CrucibleKeep.zip

Also worth noting, before I went to the crucible knights, but after getting the invitation quest, there was 1 hostile Metal Knight Automata and 3 dead bodies in front of the keep. With nobody even acknowledging this after battle. So yeah...

I have a save around 15 minutes before getting the invitation quest thankfully so I am not entirely stuck, but someone else might not be so lucky.

So I hope this is the right way to report this kind of bug.

• Like 1

The leaders will only give you these quests if you've not accepted a second quest from one of the other factions - that's intended, even if you murder a bunch of people of that faction, because the factions want to know that you're working to further their interests (a character that helps their enemies first and then slaughters them will not cause a faction to be forthcoming with its trust).

Jorge

So If I accepted first quest from the Dozens and Knights and then accepted second quest from Dozens (before Winds of Steel quest) then there is no way for me to get second quest from Knigts and therefore invitation for hearing (even after patch) ?

Yeah this is completely confusing.  I just ran into this bug and there is no way I want to restart the game, I don't even have a save before I accepted the second Dozens quest.  I want to continue with the knights.  So is the next patch going to fix it so that if you have accepted "The Bronze Beneath the Lake" quest and not done it, you can continue on with the knights?

Otherwise, there must be a console command or edit to rip that quest out from your journal.  I just can't face replaying it all right now, this is so gutting.

If you want to join the crucible knights and you are beeing rejected by clyver because of accepting the second quest of the dozens, you can just edit the conversation file accordingly :)

Open following file with editor or notepad:
\Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\data\conversations\02_defiance_bay_first_fires\02_cv_clyver_rimgund.conversation

(Make a backup file at this point, just for safety if you screw it up)

Then search for: "n_MercenaryHire_State"
You will find two matches in the file looking like this

<Parameters>
<string>n_MercenaryHire_State</string>
<string>GreaterThan</string>
<string>0</string> 
</Parameters>

Change them both to this:

<Parameters>
<string>n_MercenaryHire_State</string>
<string>GreaterThan</string>
<string>1</string> 
</Parameters>

This will just increase clyvers limit for the variable indicating your progress of the dozens questline. 
(You can increase the limit probably even further if you take a higher number than 1...)

So, I have version 1.05 now and still I can't finish "Steel Winds" quest. I can get the invitation from Lady Webb if I smashed all factions, but it's not good solution to my paladin hero. Is there anything to I can do?

I'm having something of a similar issue where I've finished Winds of Steel (and Built to Last) with the knights, and I can talk to Clyver about an invitation to the Animancy hearings and he agrees to sponsor me, but when I return to Lady Webb I only have a dialogue option of telling her that I've burned bridges with all 3 groups. At this point I've done no quests with house Doemenel, in fact I can't even remember if I've been inside their house, and the only quest I've done involving the Dozens was Rogue Knight.

I want to thank everyone for the additional info and files.

We've narrowed down the issue, which involves getting Winds of Steel from the Crucible Knights while having been already "committed" to help either the Dozens or Doemenels, and we'll include the fix for this soon (likely going into the next patch).

This issue was unrelated to what affected eRe4s3r's game (resolved already in the upcoming patch), but this thread alerted us to the additional problem.

Thank you again for your help and patience, folks.

Jorge.

Hello Jorge,

Was the bug fixed? I encountered it just now, I cannot get the 'Winds of Steel' quest from crucible knights.

Thank you,

DeeLiberty