Hard mode is too easy.

fwiw, through the author of the IEmods webpage, I found his console list, which included the command I was looking for:

SwitchPOTD

kinda obvious in retrospect...

anyone try this have any problems?

edit:

annnndddd...

it doesn't work.

this is the only console command I have seen listed that doesn't seem to be recognized in the official game, even with the IEmod installed.

Edited by Ichthyic
  • Like 1

Yeah I'd really like to switch my game to PotD at this point.  Not really sure why they decided to make it unchangeable during play.  Can anyone confirm IEmod will do the job?

EDIT: Ninja'd!  But sounds like that's what I need!

EDIT2: So tried it and it definitely seems to be helping.  My guys are getting hurt again and I actually have to use tactics, woohoo!

Edited by Cronstintein
  • Like 1

BG/BG2 let you overlevel most of the content even more so, especially if you had the expansion installed. As do most big cRpgs

Not everybody wants to do all the side content in every play through and once you start balancing the crit based on optional content than it ceases to become optional. Sensuki mentioned it, but removing lame ass trap/lock xp would do wonders. 

What's really broken here are super engagement deflection tanks being untouchable though. 

• Like 1

BG/BG2 let you overlevel most of the content even more so, especially if you had the expansion installed. As do most big cRpgs

Not everybody wants to do all the side content in every play through and once you start balancing the crit based on optional content than it ceases to become optional. Sensuki mentioned it, but removing lame ass trap/lock xp would do wonders. 

What's really broken here are super engagement deflection tanks being untouchable though. 

I disagree regarding BG/BG2. You could not get significantly over leveled because each level cost twice the XP of the one before. The last bossfight was not an auto attack snooze fest in BG2 even if you did do everything. They really ought to very significantly reduce side quest XP in this game. I was level 10 when I got to Dyrford. I could accept being one or two levels too high. Being 5 levels too high is just plain stupid.

But without those super engagement deflection tanks, your party reeeps in seconds on Potd.

Not entirely accurate. But you'll definitely be resting 2-3 times as much.

Nope it is accurate. You cannot face 20+ Potd shadows without 2 dedicated tanks and carefully hitting / running with the rest of the group.

Otherwise I challenge you to play Potd without a single engagement tank.

I disagree regarding BG/BG2. You could not get significantly over leveled because each level cost twice the XP of the one before. The last bossfight was not an auto attack snooze fest in BG2 even if you did do everything. They really ought to very significantly reduce side quest XP in this game. I was level 10 when I got to Dyrford. I could accept being one or two levels too high. Being 5 levels too high is just plain stupid.

Glad you disagree about BG/BG2 but you're wrong. You could even get up to about lvl 20 on some classes in BG2 before leaving Act 2. 

I order to prevent this from happening they'd have to force players to follow the main quest at a given pace so they could perfectly control ther level progression. Which I wouldn't appreciate... Or introduce mob level scalling mechanics... that I wouldn't appreciate either. That's the price to pay from freedom.

Edited by Kimuji

But without those super engagement deflection tanks, your party reeeps in seconds on Potd.

Nope it is accurate. You cannot face 20+ Potd shadows without 2 dedicated tanks 

Yes you can can. 

I order to prevent this from happening they'd have to force players to follow the main quest at a given pace so they could perfectly control they level progression. Which I wouldn't appreciate... Or introduce mob level scalling mechanics... that I wouldn't appreciate either. That's the price to pay from freedom.

Or you know ... fix the broken xp you get from side content and put the levels further apart.

Yes you can can.

Gameplay video or it didn't happen.

Or you know ... fix the broken xp you get from side content and put the levels further apart.

It can't work when you have people doing very few side quests and others doing every single one before advancing the main plot. Unless you are suggesting to remove all XP rewards from side quests you can't balance the game for every single playstyle. Everybody is playing the game at they own pace.

Edited by Kimuji

Yes you can can.

Gameplay video or it didn't happen.

Properly built Barb, accuracy debuffs some summons. Hope this helps. 

Eh I play pillars the same way I played BG2. I never had any issue with BG2 devolving into a zero difficulty game.

Keldorn came with a spammable ability that made vanilla BG2 a complete joke. 

Got to be honest I did play BG 2 with bugger all knowledge of DnD and no access to the internet. I played it without consumables or spamming any of Keldorns spells. I am not really sure how this is justification of the XP issue in Pillars of Eternity anyhow.

It can't work when you have people doing very few side quests and others doing every single one before advancing the main plot. Unless you are suggesting to remove all XP rewards from side quests you can't balance the game for every single playstyle. Everybody is playing the game at they own pace.

So remove all xp from side quests if you have to. Anything is better than what we have now.

Edit: it is supposed to be a niche game. It should not be balanced for fkn casuals. Casuals can play on easy or just bloody well **** off.

Edited by Hatred

Damn right if someone is doing one sidequest they should find the progression extremely hard or near impossible. This is not an open world do whatever you want game like TES - the sidequests should be there to level and strengthen your party so you can complete the critical path. Obviously you don't need to do all of them, but doing more will make your story progression easier and doing less will make it harder.

The game should be balanced with this in mind first before tuning each difficulty. "Hard" should be relatively hard all the way through the game and PotD should be near impossible except for the most experienced of players. That's not even taking into consideration that a game should get MORE difficult as the game progresses, not stay the same or get easier!

I agree with everyone who suggests side quest rewards/XP should be minimal. The motivation to do side content should be because you want to explore more or do more combat, not to make the game easier and easier.

Edited by Justinian
  • Like 2

What we're saying is that there shouldn't be such a huge gap, so that the only way to maintain a decent challenge is to skip much of the game.  It doesn't bother me as much that the main path stuff winds up too easy (though I think some BG2 style level scaling of that would be nice, yeah), but I absolutely should still be challenged by the sidequests I pick up, and I'm just not; the last truly difficult fight I had was back when I arrived in Defiance Bay and wandered into Heritage Hill, and I've done everything available since.

Additionally, we were told originally that it would only be possible to hit the level cap by doing just about everything available.  I haven't gotten that far myself yet, but I've seen people saying they reached level 12 a fair ways before the end.

• Like 1

Yeah I'd really like to switch my game to PotD at this point.  Not really sure why they decided to make it unchangeable during play.  Can anyone confirm IEmod will do the job?

EDIT: Ninja'd!  But sounds like that's what I need!

EDIT2: So tried it and it definitely seems to be helping.  My guys are getting hurt again and I actually have to use tactics, woohoo!

I can't get this to activate in my game.

what did you do to get it to work?