Why is release date so close to Bloodborne?

It didn't affect me, but some hardcore RPG gamers would mind.

I can't remember when 2 such great RPG games were in such tight schedule.

I think Witcher 3 postponed to may because of that.

Well Bloodborne is a videogame and not a pc game and therefor not interesting to me. Sorry but i have been pc gaming since like 1990. For me it does not qualify as a RPG. For that matter the Witcher 3 does not too, Controller recommended in a rpg? A set main character i cannot create myself ? Sorry don't see any appeal in that.

But yeah its much more rpg than an action game as Bloodborne, so it should not affect pillars as its released on a very limited and inferior platform only.

I feel really sorry for you that you feel that way :( But that is the mentality that PC gamers are known for - it's not on PC, therefore it's not worth my time. We've gotta change that, or people will think we're all a bunch of elitist douches.

I tried many console games, i had a ps2, ps3 and xbox, xbox 360 too. I just never really used them other than for some exclusives i was hyped about. 

The problem is that the games are not as fun as they used to be. They seem dumbed down both in content and controls and not only for consoles but for cross platform releases too.

Even more so now on almost all games cause it seems to have set a standard.

You know that is exactly why i backed Pillars and i did that with 290$, because there is a promise to bring back the deeper games. While i see many great stories in games now, like dragon age inquisition, it hurts me to play that game. It does not feel like a rpg or even a full game to me with out stats to assign and real skills and when i am limited to 8 skill buttons suddenly (when i had basically unlimited in the first part) i feel cheated. 

Yes its more easy to get into that game, but then it is shallow.

Also we have been very limited in all aspects cause of the consoles, be it gameplay or graphics. Since the playstation any console hardware was at least a year behind pc hardware on release, sometimes even more and yes that also counts for the ps4 and ps3.

I backed PoE with the equivalent of $370. I loved Dragon Age: Inquisition and put 160 hours into it. I think Witcher 3 and Bloodborne are RPGs, and look forward to playing them all, just as I will enjoy Pillars. We are in a time where there is a greater breadth and depth of games than there has ever been, even if some genres have fallen by the wayside - but those genres are now coming back via indie and crowdfunding initiatives. By all indications, we are in a golden age or renaissance of gaming. We have literally never had it better, and it seems to only be getting better.

Perspective, it's what's for dinner.

I do have over a hundred hours in inquisition too as it is not a bad game, i just can see that it could have been so much more. I love being a gamer at this time, but i so often see the chance for greatness wasted in games. And yeah i am very glad for these Kickstarter campaigns, so happy i backed Divinity Original Sin, Torment, Star Citizen and Pillars to name a few. Still in my experience all we get from cross platform and console games is worse games, not to start on mobiles games ...

It's not, really. Amazon delayed Bloodborne until April 27th. I cancelled my order after they did that, I'm just going to pass on that game altogether I think.

What?

Amazon can't delay a game release. And they didn't delay it to April 27th. They certainly did screw up preorders, though. I'm not the only one that didn't get their "guaranteed release date delivery" today. Though when I called and complained, I did get a free month of Prime.

They absolutely can delay a game release. If you order it, and they don't ship it for 1 extra month, they delayed the game's release.

After I contacted customer support and they said it would be shipped to me on the 27th (of April, not March), I said fsck it all to hell and cancelled the order. I'm just going to skip that game, I'd really not wait an extra month. The alternative would be to pay a scalper $140+ for a collector's edition and not wait the extra month, but I don't care about the game enough for that.

I'm not saying that it isn't crappy. And I understand you are angry. I spent the last 9 hours being angry. I called Amazon three times today, and UPS once.

But them screwing you over has nothing to do with the game's release. The game's release is today, even though Amazon screwed up for you. I don't know your financial situation or whatever but the game is available via other vendors starting today. Hence, it's totally, well, weird to categorize Amazon's flub as "Amazon delaying a game release." It's totally mischaracterizing what they did. And in fact, you'd be better served just calling it what it is - Amazon royally screwing up - rather than what it isn't.

No, this is an endemic problem not limited to Amazon. The collector's edition has been delayed for virtually every vendor. It's not Amazon's fault at all, but if you ordered it from Amazon you definitely fall into the category of people affected by the delay.

I just read up on the issue. Looks like I lucked out despite the one day's delay. I guess I shouldn't be too upset after all. Sorry you had to go through that. I still disagree on the semantics of saying Amazon "delayed the release" but I can empathize with your situation.

Edited by RHelg224

Well Bloodborne is a videogame and not a pc game and therefor not interesting to me. Sorry but i have been pc gaming since like 1990. For me it does not qualify as a RPG. For that matter the Witcher 3 does not too, Controller recommended in a rpg? A set main character i cannot create myself ? Sorry don't see any appeal in that.

But yeah its much more rpg than an action game as Bloodborne, so it should not affect pillars as its released on a very limited and inferior platform only.

I feel really sorry for you that you feel that way :( But that is the mentality that PC gamers are known for - it's not on PC, therefore it's not worth my time. We've gotta change that, or people will think we're all a bunch of elitist douches.

I tried many console games, i had a ps2, ps3 and xbox, xbox 360 too. I just never really used them other than for some exclusives i was hyped about. 

The problem is that the games are not as fun as they used to be. They seem dumbed down both in content and controls and not only for consoles but for cross platform releases too.

You know that is exactly why i backed Pillars and i did that with 290$, because there is a promise to bring back the deeper games. While i see many great stories in games now, like dragon age inquisition, it hurts me to play that game. It does not feel like a rpg or even a full game to me with out stats to assign and real skills and when i am limited to 8 skill buttons suddenly (when i had basically unlimited in the first part) i feel cheated. 

Also we have been very limited in all aspects cause of the consoles, be it gameplay or graphics. Since the playstation any console hardware was at least a year behind pc hardware on release, sometimes even more and yes that also counts for the ps4 and ps3.

Why is complexity inherently better?

I don't really want to debate this with you or anyone (sorry, I just don't) but honestly, really sit and think about that one.

I'm not saying complex games are inherently worse, either. But having played games for over 3 decades now, I don't necessarily think more options = better game. I think that's an extremely limited way of looking at games, RPGs or otherwise.

A game is an experience. Everything - the UI, the gameplay, the graphics, the sound, etc. - all of those things help build that experience, nothing more. The complexity of the UI, the number of skills you can use at any given time - all of these elements are pretty much aribitrary in an objective sense. They are experience-building tools. You may be used to certain aspects and facets of these genres, sure, and it's certainly understandable for someone to lament the diminishment of a feature they are used to and they enjoy, but please recognize that's all it is. There is nothing inherently better about complexity, there is nothing inherently better about a KBAM setup, and there certainly is nothing inherently better about a PC over a console.

That is a very valid view of looking at that, but it is just there where i feel the limits. The UI is not as well thought out as it could be. The experience is dimmed by the controller support ( have you seen skyrims inventory ?).

And actually PCs do have much stronger hardware than consoles and way more options so yes they are inherently better.

I backed PoE with the equivalent of $370. I loved Dragon Age: Inquisition and put 160 hours into it. I think Witcher 3 and Bloodborne are RPGs, and look forward to playing them all, just as I will enjoy Pillars. We are in a time where there is a greater breadth and depth of games than there has ever been, even if some genres have fallen by the wayside - but those genres are now coming back via indie and crowdfunding initiatives. By all indications, we are in a golden age or renaissance of gaming. We have literally never had it better, and it seems to only be getting better.

Perspective, it's what's for dinner.

I do have over a hundred hours in inquisition too as it is not a bad game, i just can see that it could have been so much more. I love being a gamer at this time, but i so often see the chance for greatness wasted in games. And yeah i am very glad for these Kickstarter campaigns, so happy i backed Divinity Original Sin, Torment, Star Citizen and Pillars to name a few. Still in my experience all we get from cross platform and console games is worse games, not to start on mobiles games ...

I am currently playing through Assassin's Creed: Rogue on the PC.

It's one of the most fun experiences I've ever had with a game (I admit I'm a bit of an Assassin's Creed fanboy, but it exceeded even my expectations for the series).

It is an an Xbox 360/PS3 port to the PC. It's very clearly dated. But I don't see what could have been gained by it being a PC exclusive game designed for the PC from the ground up. It's pretty much a perfect experience as-is.

• Like 1

I don't really want to debate this with you or anyone (sorry, I just don't) but honestly, really sit and think about that one.

I'm not saying complex games are inherently worse, either. But having played games for over 3 decades now, I don't necessarily think more options = better game. I think that's an extremely limited way of looking at games, RPGs or otherwise.

A game is an experience. Everything - the UI, the gameplay, the graphics, the sound, etc. - all of those things help build that experience, nothing more. The complexity of the UI, the number of skills you can use at any given time - all of these elements are pretty much aribitrary in an objective sense. They are experience-building tools. You may be used to certain aspects and facets of these genres, sure, and it's certainly understandable for someone to lament the diminishment of a feature they are used to and they enjoy, but please recognize that's all it is. There is nothing inherently better about complexity, there is nothing inherently better about a KBAM setup, and there certainly is nothing inherently better about a PC over a console.

That is a very valid view of looking at that, but it is just there where i feel the limits. The UI is not as well thought out as it could be. The experience is dimmed by the controller support ( have you seen skyrims inventory ?).

And actually PCs do have much stronger hardware than consoles and way more options so yes they are inherently better.

Better is a complicated term. More powerful? Yes, but does that actually translate to added value in all games? There is a cost/benefit ratio to be appraised.

Many people, quite reasonably, may find that the value added is not significant relative to the costs entailed. Or not significant period.

• Like 2

Well this forum is for PoE and i know that the pc vs console posts could go on forever and longer so i will stop here as my view will not change not will i change vies of others and this is  not the forum to idly discuss this.

I am very glad that we get Pillars cause it brings back a lot to gaming that was missing for me and to me Bloodborne is on a different system that i do not own and do not care about so the release date should not influence Pillars from my point of view.

• Like 2

So you're a douche now if you don't like controller gameplay? Wow...

There is nothing wrong with only playing games on PC you know. That doesn't make you a douche and it doesn't make you elitist.

And for what it's worth, most console gamers are even much worse than that. They'd never play an indie game or an exclusive PC game. Just go out on the PS4 forums and ask Bloodborne fans what they think about PoE. Either they don't even know it or they think it's "old crap", at least the vast majority. So who's the douche here?

• Like 2
35167v4.jpg

I think he was more basing the accusation of douchiness based on, implicitly, suggesting that a game can cease to be an RPG based on whether or not the game uses a controller. Or lets you customize the protagonist

Both of which are byzantine and wholly arbitrary foundations for defining RPG, but probably not grounds for calling someone a douche.

(RPG is a worthless term that does not actually describe anythingggggggg)

Edited by Fiaryn
  • Like 3

There is nothing wrong with only playing games on PC you know. That doesn't make you a douche and it doesn't make you elitist.

And for what it's worth, most console gamers are even much worse than that. They'd never play an indie game or an exclusive PC game. Just go out on the PS4 forums and ask Bloodborne fans what they think about PoE. Either they don't even know it or they think it's "old crap", at least the vast majority. So who's the douche here?

"KBAM > controller" is definitely a view espoused by PC Elitism, yes. And I personally think it is an indefensible position.

However, holding that opinion isn't douchey, not in and of itself. It's the way PC Elitsts argue their case as if anyone who doesn't think controllers are destroying gaming is an imbecile - THAT is douchey. Not the argument itself but the shape and tone it always, invariably takes. Yes, generally speaking, that kind of attitude is douchey. I'm not saying that describes any particular individual here but if you haven't seen that happen you haven't been around many forums or any media devoted to gaming.

Speaking for myself, I prefer to play games on a PC despite owning every console. My Xbox One has a thick layer of dust on it, and I only use my PS3 and PS4 rarely. But I use an Xbox 360 controller on PC for just about any game that isn't a twitch shooter or strategic game.

• Like 1

So... ehm...

What's Bloodborne? Never heard of it, should I have?

Not really.  It has had a spate of ads on youtube recently.  Apparently a vampire with a bumpy scythe/stick thing kills people or whatever.  Basically its being pushed as the game that finally makes a ps4 worth owning.  Or something.  If there is something special or interesting about it, well that escapes me entirely.

Hmm, maybe I'll check it out as I/we have a PS4 but not a single game I/we am/are interested in

Free games updated 3/4/21

I feel really sorry for you that you feel that way sad.png But that is the mentality that PC gamers are known for - it's not on PC, therefore it's not worth my time. We've gotta change that, or people will think we're all a bunch of elitist douches.

"KBAM > controller" is definitely a view espoused by PC Elitism, yes. And I personally think it is an indefensible position.

However, holding that opinion isn't douchey, not in and of itself. It's the way PC Elitsts argue their case as if anyone who doesn't think controllers are destroying gaming is an imbecile - THAT is douchey. Not the argument itself but the shape and tone it always, invariably takes. Yes, generally speaking, that kind of attitude is douchey. I'm not saying that describes any particular individual here but if you haven't seen that happen you haven't been around many forums or any media devoted to gaming.

Speaking for myself, I prefer to play games on a PC despite owning every console. My Xbox One has a thick layer of dust on it, and I only use my PS3 and PS4 rarely. But I use an Xbox 360 controller on PC for just about any game that isn't a twitch shooter or strategic game.

My friend, there is a a site out there called:

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

Many of the post thread come under:

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/no-true-scotsman

NTS.png

Think about it like this, you come across someone who is into PnP an you then tell them about PoE but they balk at the idea of playing a COMPUTER RPG as how can you roleplay a game that limits your choices to what the developers can think of?  If remove the creative side of roleplaying then its its a not a real RPG...

Hmm, maybe I'll check it out as I/we have a PS4 but not a single game I/we am/are interested in.

The guy who you are quoting is wrong, the game clearly talking about something closer to werewolves as you are a hunter in a beast hunt in a city overtaken by maddess:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GJmO1hh4sg 

Of course the game I am mainly hyped for is PoE but if you afford both then:

stash-1-227550bd08abe666e.png

This girl is still smarter than most of the internet...

The main draw of the Souls games, and Bloodborne, is that it's an Action RPG that exemplifies "hard but fair". You're set loose in a bleak dark fantasy world with fairly free run of the place and by extension total freedom to get yourself killed over and over and over again. Combat has high lethality, but tends to be more methodical than twitch (by twitch I mean games like Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden). Prediction, managing your stamina, and patience tend to win fights. Exploration is a fairly big deal.

If that kind of stuff is your bag, you'll probably like the Souls games. Their reputation for difficulty tends to be overplayed because games journalism is dumb as a box of rocks, and the Internet is a meme factory, but they can be tough.

Edited by Fiaryn

So... ehm...

What's Bloodborne? Never heard of it, should I have?

I was thinking to myself "What the heck is Bloodborne?". [...]

[...]

"What the heck is Bloodborne?" pretty much sums it up, same as last time this topic was raised. This is hardly even tentatively related to Pillars of Eternity, I can't help but to feel that this should be locked or mover to the off-topic forum or general games forum or whatever we have to move it to.

It's also released on same day as probably 20 other games, oh no, whatever shall we do

This.

Because no one cares about console trash.

And definitely, especially, this.

Also, lol @ "hardcore RPG gamers".

It is extremely important to define one's identity based on the kind of media one consumes, and also to section off into mutually hostile tribes on the same grounds. Appreciating the merits or game design of entertainment that is not to your tastes is haram, and an offense to Allah.

Although the windmill is of truly Don Quixotian proportions, this was still hilarious. laughing.gif

But yes, we are defined by what we choose to consume and vice versa, and I will most certainly judge others based on what they consume, whether it's raw sewage vs. cherry mead, books vs. movies, PC Gaming Master Race vs. Mud-Covered Console Peasantry, ARPGs vs. RPGs, or simply Star Trek vs. Star Wars. The degrees of judgement vary based on preference and merits, or lack thereof. This is really quite sensible.

[...]

[...]

Generally speaking, it is because it generally implies a requirement to think and reason, traits that have been generally held in high regard throughout European history. Ignorance, base degeneracy and meaningless frivolity has generally been frowned upon and retards shunned as plague-ridden.

That is why complexety is generally considered inherently better, especially in terms of what medium one engages in. Simplicity implies simplemindedness.

Note that this is not always true, because there are games that are simplistic rather than complex at first glance, but that actually has depth when you engage in it at a more serious level (Chess is a good example, I'd say). There are also games that are needlessly complex but actually simple, but the complexity in deducing the simple nature of it is in itself complex, and so I reference the previous argument.

Console peasantry has taught us that the odds of a console game exhibiting the traits necessary to be the deceptive exception to implied simplicity and simple-mindedness are so high that it's meaningless to even consider for all practical intents and purposes.

• Like 2

t50aJUd.jpg

This girl is still smarter than most of the internet...

Richer at the very least. Because I frankly don't know who's crazy enough to afford a ps4 just for Bloodborne, unless there's another actual game on that machine, but I didn't see any.

Edited by CaptainMace
  • Like 1

Qu'avez-vous fait de l'honneur de la patrie ?

My got myself a Xbox 360 controller for the PC too and used it for the first 2 hours in the last Tomb Raider game. I have a big TV screen connected to my PC and wanted to try playing it "the console way" from my couch.

After that I went back to KBAM (technically G13AM) and my PC screen and haven't used the controller since.

KBAM is for me HUGELY more enjoyable. It is a magnitude more precise (which was infuriating me on the controller) and feels for me simply better (with the controller I got sweaty hands which I dislike, I somehow do not get those with KBAM). The only advantage I see for a controller is that you do not need a desk for it like you do for KBAM.

"Controllers destroying gaming" is a bit harsh, but it is undeniable that they have a bad effect on PC gaming, mainly because of bad ports. An interface designed for a control does not work well with KBAM, just as an interface designed for KBAM does not work well with a controller. When I see a game which gets ported from console to PC with an unchanged interface it does annoy me. If you yourself prefer a controller anyway you do not notice that, but people who use KBAM there sure do. 

Mind, without the game being published on consoles it likely wouldn't exist in the first place.

• Like 1

I used to love Demons's Souls, but each sequel becomes weaker and weaker. Not saying that Dark Souls 2 is a bad game, but it's 7.5 or 8 that comes from something that was a 10.

I kinda expect the same trend in Bloodborne. And I'm definitely not paying 70 bucks to play it, which is what it costs in Playstation. If they release it on PC in some time, I'll possibly check it out. Possibly.

Dark Souls definitely can be considered an RPG, even more than most J'RPGs'. The definition of RPG is simply Role Playing Game, a game where you have a role, where you can be someone. Stats and levels (or any type of character progression) are not necessary for an RPG. It's more about choice/consequence. At least that's my definition.

If Bloodborne is any similar to Dark Souls 1, which is very likely since it's made by the same people, unlike Dark Souls 2, I see no reason to not say it's an RPG. In Dark Souls you can decide to kill some characters (and it is a valid option, unlike most games) to alter the outcome of some questlines and to get equipment you wouldn't otherwise get. You also can decide in what order you are going to do stuff, and that alters some other stuff as well. You also usually have 2 completely different dialogue options. IMO Dark Souls made choice&consequence better than DA:O or BG1.

That being said, I'm not going to play Bloodborne anytime soon (PS4 just isn't worth it ATM) but I'm definitely going to spend a lot of time playing PoE. I'm just hoping they magically decide to port the game to PC.

The thread question, "Why is [PoE:s] release date so close to Bloodborne?", has been answered, "Because nobody cares about Bloodborne" (paraphrasing). By now the thread is nothing more than a fetishist peasant uprising against the undefeated glorious master race with the topic used as nothing but a shiny pitchfork.

And chance of a lock? There's a lot of clutter in General Discussion.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

Oh god, now this "masterrace" crap is spreading to PoE forums.

It's funny, because I was just thinking that the peasant dung was spreading to the PoE forums.

Which is what you'd expect to be more apt, considering that PoE is a PC exclusive in a genre generally favouring the thinking.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

Oh god, now this "masterrace" crap is spreading to PoE forums.

It's funny, because I was just thinking that the peasant dung was spreading to the PoE forums.

Which is what you'd expect to be more apt, considering that PoE is a PC exclusive in a genre generally favouring the thinking.

Shush, elitist. Your place is that way ->

http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/new/

Edited by PromisedPain