Why is release date so close to Bloodborne?

It's not, really. Amazon delayed Bloodborne until April 27th. I cancelled my order after they did that, I'm just going to pass on that game altogether I think.

What?

Amazon can't delay a game release. And they didn't delay it to April 27th. They certainly did screw up preorders, though. I'm not the only one that didn't get their "guaranteed release date delivery" today. Though when I called and complained, I did get a free month of Prime.

The random animosity disguised as apathy toward Bloodborne is puzzling and hilarious.

It is extremely important to define one's identity based on the kind of media one consumes, and also to section off into mutually hostile tribes on the same grounds. Appreciating the merits or game design of entertainment that is not to your tastes is haram, and an offense to Allah.

• Like 5

This "Bloodborn" game is Dark Souls 2.0 don't know what's the hype about, I saw a few YouTube play throughs already and think its a copy paste job by From Software.

It's actually pretty funny to accuse the Dark Souls series of the "CoD loop" or "AC style milking" and watching the strong reactions from the fanboys since it's usually the self-proclaimed hardcore elite crowd who tells everyone the very same every time a new CoD or AC or whatever comes out... :p

Dragon Age Inquisition DLC also dropped today. Very sneaky of BioWare. Not that I'm buying that after the boredom that Inquisition induced in me.

At least you can apparently bind more than two mouse buttons now. FOUR months after release. Epic achievement in game design...

Funny how you're bashing DA:I's combat, but you have an avatar of The Witcher. Witcher 2 was basically mashing mouse buttons and pressing 1 2 every now and then for a sign spell. Don't get me wrong I love those games, as well as Dragon Age.

Witcher 3 is a solo action RPG. DAI is a party RPG with a heritage of offering tactical party combat with pausing. Completely different thing. I also don't see how talking about the lack of bindable mouse buttions is "bashing DAI's combat"...

And I don't play Witcher primarily for the combat anyway.

The random animosity disguised as apathy toward Bloodborne is puzzling and hilarious.

It is extremely important to define one's identity based on the kind of media one consumes, and also to section off into mutually hostile tribes on the same grounds. Appreciating the merits or game design of entertainment that is not to your tastes is haram, and an offense to Allah.

Welcome to the world of internet gaming communities...

Yeah well Amazon managed to screw up release date delivery of Bloodborne so now it's even worse. My copy didn't come today. I'm so sad.  :(

No need to be sad. In just two days you can play PoE for days and weeks. No other game needed anymore.

Edited by LordCrash
35167v4.jpg

While I'm on the topic of tribalism and the delusions entailed therein, I got a secret for folks:

The people who go onto a forum to actively argue about stuff like this? They literally never comprise a majority of any audience except for the most niche of niche games, I'm talking MUDs. Hell, probably not even then. It does not matter if it's RPG Codex, SomethingAwful, or these forums. The vast majority of fans of a given genre or game will never bother.

It's important not to delude yourself into thinking that any of these fandoms are representative of The Great Truth of The Nation.

• Like 2

It's not, really. Amazon delayed Bloodborne until April 27th. I cancelled my order after they did that, I'm just going to pass on that game altogether I think.

What?

Amazon can't delay a game release. And they didn't delay it to April 27th. They certainly did screw up preorders, though. I'm not the only one that didn't get their "guaranteed release date delivery" today. Though when I called and complained, I did get a free month of Prime.

They absolutely can delay a game release. If you order it, and they don't ship it for 1 extra month, they delayed the game's release.

After I contacted customer support and they said it would be shipped to me on the 27th (of April, not March), I said fsck it all to hell and cancelled the order. I'm just going to skip that game, I'd really not wait an extra month. The alternative would be to pay a scalper $140+ for a collector's edition and not wait the extra month, but I don't care about the game enough for that.

Edited by Kaldaien

It didn't affect me, but some hardcore RPG gamers would mind.

I can't remember when 2 such great RPG games were in such tight schedule.

I think Witcher 3 postponed to may because of that.

Well Bloodborne is a videogame and not a pc game and therefor not interesting to me. Sorry but i have been pc gaming since like 1990. For me it does not qualify as a RPG. For that matter the Witcher 3 does not too, Controller recommended in a rpg? A set main character i cannot create myself ? Sorry don't see any appeal in that.

But yeah its much more rpg than an action game as Bloodborne, so it should not affect pillars as its released on a very limited and inferior platform only.

Not only the neogaf part was a joke.

So for the record - when not joking or writing posts that trigger poe's law - I agree with you LordCrash.

I was trying to figure out if you were serious too when you said to visit both places. Gamespot......  I then went over to check out neogaf... Like a zoo. Not my style.   Glad to see you were joking lol.

What about the apathy based on actual indifference?  Is that puzzling too?  Not everyone likes the same cup of tea.

• Like 2

What?

They absolutely can delay a game release. If you order it, and they don't ship it for 1 extra month, they delayed the game's release.

After I contacted customer support and they said it would be shipped to me on the 27th (of April, not March), I said fsck it all to hell and cancelled the order. I'm just going to skip that game, I'd really not wait an extra month. The alternative would be to pay a scalper $140+ for a collector's edition and not wait the extra month, but I don't care about the game enough for that.

I'm not saying that it isn't crappy. And I understand you are angry. I spent the last 9 hours being angry. I called Amazon three times today, and UPS once.

But them screwing you over has nothing to do with the game's release. The game's release is today, even though Amazon screwed up for you. I don't know your financial situation or whatever but the game is available via other vendors starting today. Hence, it's totally, well, weird to categorize Amazon's flub as "Amazon delaying a game release." It's totally mischaracterizing what they did. And in fact, you'd be better served just calling it what it is - Amazon royally screwing up - rather than what it isn't.

Well Bloodborne is a videogame and not a pc game and therefor not interesting to me. Sorry but i have been pc gaming since like 1990. For me it does not qualify as a RPG. For that matter the Witcher 3 does not too, Controller recommended in a rpg? A set main character i cannot create myself ? Sorry don't see any appeal in that.

But yeah its much more rpg than an action game as Bloodborne, so it should not affect pillars as its released on a very limited and inferior platform only.

I feel really sorry for you that you feel that way :( But that is the mentality that PC gamers are known for - it's not on PC, therefore it's not worth my time. We've gotta change that, or people will think we're all a bunch of elitist douches.

• Like 1

What?

I'm not saying that it isn't crappy. And I understand you are angry. I spent the last 9 hours being angry. I called Amazon three times today, and UPS once.

But them screwing you over has nothing to do with the game's release. The game's release is today, even though Amazon screwed up for you. I don't know your financial situation or whatever but the game is available via other vendors starting today. Hence, it's totally, well, weird to categorize Amazon's flub as "Amazon delaying a game release." It's totally mischaracterizing what they did. And in fact, you'd be better served just calling it what it is - Amazon royally screwing up - rather than what it isn't.

No, this is an endemic problem not limited to Amazon. The collector's edition has been delayed for virtually every vendor. It's not Amazon's fault at all, but if you ordered it from Amazon you definitely fall into the category of people affected by the delay.

I've been gaming since 1983. My first game was Ultima III on a Atari 800XL. Both Bloodborne and Witcher 3 are RPGs. Since you like to throw years around, I've been playing RPGs (and games in general) on a PC for 7 more years than you so that gives me Supreme Authority Over RPG Terms (at least until someone that has been playing games since 1982 comes in the thread).

• Like 1

How is Bloodborne a rpg? Does it have stats. Seriously, dont know, looks like a console action game.

It has stats. You level up, you invest in those stats, those stats determine your efficacy with a variety of equipment.

What?

No, this is an endemic problem not limited to Amazon. The collector's edition has been delayed for virtually every vendor. It's not Amazon's fault at all, but if you ordered it from Amazon you definitely fall into the category of people affected by the delay.

Well, no. My Collector's Edition shipped yesterday, was supposed to arrive today, and will actually arrive tomorrow. It's actually in a box that's actually sitting in a UPS warehouse about 22 miles from where I am now typing this. Maybe there were shortages? But the CE has been released as of today.

edit: And the situation you describe still does not equate to "Amazon delayed the release of Bloodborne." A vendor does not control a release date. What you said here doesn't change that at all. IF the release pushed back, or there were shortages, that certainly isn't Amazon's fault, or any other vendor's fault.

Edited by RHelg224

While we're on the topic of RPGs and what they are:

It's worth remembering that original, Gygaxian D&D was a hack of a miniatures strategy game, and primarily revolved around playing a band of sociopathic murder hobos. Characterization? Roleplaying? Plot? Those concerns were secondary at best, and mostly came later.

Edited by Fiaryn
  • Like 2

I feel really sorry for you that you feel that way :( But that is the mentality that PC gamers are known for - it's not on PC, therefore it's not worth my time. We've gotta change that, or people will think we're all a bunch of elitist douches.

I tried many console games, i had a ps2, ps3 and xbox, xbox 360 too. I just never really used them other than for some exclusives i was hyped about. 

The problem is that the games are not as fun as they used to be. They seem dumbed down both in content and controls and not only for consoles but for cross platform releases too.

Even more so now on almost all games cause it seems to have set a standard.

You know that is exactly why i backed Pillars and i did that with 290$, because there is a promise to bring back the deeper games. While i see many great stories in games now, like dragon age inquisition, it hurts me to play that game. It does not feel like a rpg or even a full game to me with out stats to assign and real skills and when i am limited to 8 skill buttons suddenly (when i had basically unlimited in the first part) i feel cheated. 

Yes its more easy to get into that game, but then it is shallow.

Also we have been very limited in all aspects cause of the consoles, be it gameplay or graphics. Since the playstation any console hardware was at least a year behind pc hardware on release, sometimes even more and yes that also counts for the ps4 and ps3.

I tried many console games, i had a ps2, ps3 and xbox, xbox 360 too. I just never really used them other than for some exclusives i was hyped about. 

The problem is that the games are not as fun as they used to be. They seem dumbed down both in content and controls and not only for consoles but for cross platform releases too.

You know that is exactly why i backed Pillars and i did that with 290$, because there is a promise to bring back the deeper games. While i see many great stories in games now, like dragon age inquisition, it hurts me to play that game. It does not feel like a rpg or even a full game to me with out stats to assign and real skills and when i am limited to 8 skill buttons suddenly (when i had basically unlimited in the first part) i feel cheated. 

Also we have been very limited in all aspects cause of the consoles, be it gameplay or graphics. Since the playstation any console hardware was at least a year behind pc hardware on release, sometimes even more and yes that also counts for the ps4 and ps3.

I backed PoE with the equivalent of $370. I loved Dragon Age: Inquisition and put 160 hours into it. I think Witcher 3 and Bloodborne are RPGs, and look forward to playing them all, just as I will enjoy Pillars. We are in a time where there is a greater breadth and depth of games than there has ever been, even if some genres have fallen by the wayside - but those genres are now coming back via indie and crowdfunding initiatives. By all indications, we are in a golden age or renaissance of gaming. We have literally never had it better, and it seems to only be getting better.

Perspective, it's what's for dinner.

• Like 1

Why is complexity inherently better?

I don't really want to debate this with you or anyone (sorry, I just don't) but honestly, really sit and think about that one.

I'm not saying complex games are inherently worse, either. But having played games for over 3 decades now, I don't necessarily think more options = better game. I think that's an extremely limited way of looking at games, RPGs or otherwise.

A game is an experience. Everything - the UI, the gameplay, the graphics, the sound, etc. - all of those things help build that experience, nothing more. The complexity of the UI, the number of skills you can use at any given time - all of these elements are pretty much aribitrary in an objective sense. They are experience-building tools. You may be used to certain aspects and facets of these genres, sure, and it's certainly understandable for someone to lament the diminishment of a feature they are used to and they enjoy, but please recognize that's all it is. There is nothing inherently better about complexity, there is nothing inherently better about a KBAM setup, and there certainly is nothing inherently better about a PC over a console.

• Like 1