Journalism and bias in the gaming industry.

Rosbjerg

Ah so it is this thread (not now Sargon of Akkad) which indicates how all Gamergaters think scientifically and statistically, and that in general they all have a problem with their fellow man and feminists? Please carry on, and I apologise for such a blatant generalisation and strawmanning as to think that single unconnected facts do not encompass all individuals.

Point being proven sentence by sentence.

Anyway off to walk the dog, ta ta.

Okay then, if this thread is not the nice face of gamergate (which people here have repeatedly asserted, and I foolishly thought I should listen to them, with them being more familiar with the movement and all that), then please do show me what magical unicorn gamergater fairy land has those open-minded and tolerant folks who are completely cool with all manners of feminists and not at all spend a huge amount of their time on mocking them?

Because, you know, otherwise we'll have to go by the charming and nice folks of 8chan, housing pretty much the biggest community of pedophiles well, that too, but that's orthogonal to the point gamergaters I know of?

I mean, you're pretty keen on wailing about "generalization! EBUL!!4!", but fail to engage with what my original argument actually was about, which is "SJW-leaning places with strong moderation policies, in my experience, are generally more successful in creating communities where genuine respect prevails than gamergate-adjacents with their more laissez-faire guidelines of etiquette".

This gets better and better, now all Gamergaters are child molestors because the few people with varying opinions on this board are not representative of everybody? And now i'm wailing (or arguing logically and calmly in truth) against generalisations, but you're saying that only tightly moderated SJW havens are successful in creating communities where genuine respect prevails*?

I disagree, I think what creates a genuinely respectful community is individuals having respect for others, not generalising, or painting them in derisory terms for calmly arguing counterpoints or holding different views. Enforced moderation of fashionable viewpoints, and not allowing any dissenting opinion, will of course create a good echo chamber for those whom wish to hear their own words and beliefs parroted back at them, but true discourse is created when varying opinions are held and respected.

This relies heavily of course on the arguing parties not resorting to accusing others of wailing, or child molestation, or in any other way making untrue outraged accusations and generalisations. Or in other words proving my point for me yet again.

*Except of course for the diverse millions whom play games recreationally.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I'm still confused why everyone's being reactionary as hell.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

No idea.

I must admit that I can't find this huge pedophile community on 8chan. Perhaps they are talking about /cuteboys/, which isn't pedophilia but rather focus on very effeminate mtfs?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

That is pretty much what happens at some point in every internet argument because it is beautifully circular.

Both sides end up accusing the other of arguing in bad faith and each side wants the other to admit that, in effect, they don't really believe what they are saying. Since in reality both sides think they are being reasonable themselves (90% of the time, sometimes people really are just trolling or are actually being dishonest) you end up with a rather pointless argument that cannot be resolved and which only hardens positions further.

eg

aGG Accusation: You only like feminists you agree with!

Well no asterisks, Sherlock, I like feminists I agree with and dislike ones I don't. If I agreed with some other sort of feminist I'd like them instead.

GG Accusation: You're in your ivory tower dictating to the unwashed masses!

Well no, I'm trying to persuade you/ give my view and you disagree with me

(and of course chances are that both sides will think that that summary is deeply unfair to them)

Well I do actually live in an Ivory Tower, so i'm naturally biased.

Edit: For what it's worth I do apologise if I dragged the thread down with my little argument.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

That is pretty much what happens at some point in every internet argument because it is beautifully circular.

Still, this thread went from a photo posted by Meshugger objectively highlighting Anita's philosophies in her own words, I remarked "glad to have it on record at least" and just like that the thread suddenly devolved into all kinds of reactionary bullcrap. And strawmans. Strawmans like they were going out of style.

Totally unneccesary, totally uncalled for, pretty out of left field, and ultimately unproductive.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

In the end, there can be only war.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

In the end, there can be only war.

Because war....

War never changes.

Back to topic, my fellow misogynic **** lords. Put down that book by Evola, stop listening to latest lecture on Yockey on the merits of Imperium, stop trying to impress each on quoting Spengler and put your females back into the kitchen. It's man-talk time.

William Usher is on it again about bribes and Metacritic, he even talked to MCA this time: http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/2015/03/metacritic-bribery-and-costing-bungie-2-5-million/

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Back to topic, my fellow misogynic **** lords. Put down that book by Evola, stop listening to latest lecture on Yockey on the merits of Imperium, stop trying to impress each on quoting Spengler and put your females back into the kitchen. It's man-talk time.

William Usher is on it again about bribes and Metacritic, he even talked to MCA this time: http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/2015/03/metacritic-bribery-and-costing-bungie-2-5-million/

Well that's pretty damn ****ty.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

• Like 1

But he did help shape the Baldur's Gate series!

The Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance series :roflcopter:

Fancy forgetting that!

I just wanna forget Dark Alliance.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

But he did help shape the Baldur's Gate series!

The Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance series :roflcopter:

Fancy forgetting that!

I just wanna forget Dark Alliance.

We all do.

EDIT: Tumblr, but required reading.

http://paranoidsbible.tumblr.com/post/114111362724/table-of-content

Edited by KaineParker
  • Like 1

Edit: For what it's worth I do apologise if I dragged the thread down with my little argument.

Well I'm glad you recognize that Nonek because I have found you to be particularly biased on a number of issues, accepting of a problem is the first step to fixing it. So good luck on improving your posting etiquette  :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Well I'm glad you recognize that Nonek because I have found you to be particularly biased on a number of issues, accepting of a problem is the first step to fixing it. So good luck on improving your posting etiquette :thumbsup:

Yep, classic Bruce...

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well I'm glad you recognize that Nonek because I have found you to be particularly biased on a number of issues, accepting of a problem is the first step to fixing it. So good luck on improving your posting etiquette :thumbsup:

Yep, classic Bruce...

Bruce always makes me think of those movie characters who invite you over for dinner and are real polite and everything, but then when you mistakingly begin to eat your steak with your pastry fork instead of your main entree fork, then he pulls a gun on you because you ruined the perfection that is his life and now you must pay.

That or Ned Flanders. Yknow, from that episode where he cracks and starts swearing a lot.

Edited by Longknife
  • Like 2

CAtpRSJUUAA9cEW.jpg

• Like 1

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

CAtpRSJUUAA9cEW.jpg

That's us, right? I forget sometimes.

The context is that he was asking about the block bot, and someone brought up gamergate. Potential hilarity incoming.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

https://archive.today/79AsF

Looks like the unpaid Gawker interns can't spam "gamergate forums" with news of the lawsuit.