95 members have voted

1. 1. Best Ranger Animal Companioin?

• Antelope Companion
    • Bear Companion
    • Boar Companion
    • Lion Companion
    • Stag Companion
    • Wolf Companion

The available evidence is that team Obsidian isn't sitting around picking its nose, nor has it been since the last build came out (which is the last evidence we have of the Ranger needing help, as a class). So, unless you have some evidence that suggests there will be absolutely no improvements to the Ranger class whatsoever, in almost 2 months worth of development time, I fail to see the lack of my argument, or the presence of yours.

we expect improvements, but Evidence about development time may not help you the way you think it does.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/66757-backer-beta-going-live-at-300-pm-pdt/

the obsidian folks had more than a few months to fix the ranger already. clearly the developers thought they had improved the ranger with 435 and all the other beta releases. 2 months during which the obsidians is obviously busy doing other things and no backer feedback regarding their fixes? there might be some cause for folks to be less optimistic than you.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

They thought they fixed some other things, too. Like Interrupt. Ended up not being the case, though.

I have yet to see them, throughout the entire course of this development cycle, fail to at least address some problems with something as broad as an entire class.

It's kinda like planning a cookout. Will they make enough hotdogs and hamburgers for everyone? Maybe not. But I don't see them showing up with no food.

Sure, there's cause for people to be less optimistic. Even to be devoid of optimism. However, there's just as much cause to be optimistic as there is to be pessimistic. Which is my point. Not that people should be optimistic. But that assuming the Ranger won't be any different at all from almost-two months ago (v435) until the final version of the game, is equally as pointless as assuming the Ranger will be perfect come release.

I believe in probability. The probability is that some amount of improvement will occur. And, luckily, we're getting another Beta build today, so we can actually see before release. Either way, I would never encourage anyone not to at least peek at their preferred class come release, lest they avoid something they don't ultimately end up even hating. *shrug*. Obviously people can do as they please. That's just my advice. Someone can ignore it, if they like, without it being dumb advice.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Which is my point. Not that people should be optimistic. But that assuming the Ranger won't be any different at all from almost-two months ago (v435) until the final version of the game, is equally as pointless as assuming the Ranger will be perfect come release.

am not sure who you is arguing with/against.  lord knows Gromnir never suggested that the release date ranger will be exact the same as the numerous previous ranger incarnations we has seen.  ultimately, we don't care if it took obsidian one try or a thousand, but we woulda' liked to see a ranger from the released product that were making us curious and desirous to play it. will the release date ranger be something that intrigues and beguiles?  possibly, but all evidence points to the contrary.  

we expect that in the coming months, obsidian will manage to make the ranger... palatable.  we already stated our expectations earlier, so this should be unnecessary repetition.  

"the problems with the ranger are rather large.  if the obsidian developers find good balance for the ranger, we expect it to come a few months from now rather than by march 26.  that is ok with us.  have one class that is bad for a couple months is far better than the old ie games with multiple craptacular classes that needed dual or multi-classing to make playable.  a couple months to get the 11th class genuine playable?  we can wait."

we never had any doubt changes would be made, but as a consumer, we ain't hoping for just effort.  we already paid for this game, and as with a custom home, we would not be surprised if some minor details need fixing after we take possession.  a horrible class?  that is kinda major.  we would like for obsidian to fix the problem and we is willing to wait a bit before getting truculent 'bout the issue. not a long bit.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Hey so I was planning on playing as a Druid, and I had a poll here:

Best Druid Spiritshift?

Which asked you guys whats the best spiritshift to choose

But apparently people are saying that I should go with another class so I might roll a Ranger instead

so am doing a similar poll to find out whats the best ranger animal companion

Again, this site has a good overview of all the animal companions, I put summary below.

The choices are:

Antelope - has good defense

Bear - has damage reduction

Boar - can do lots more damage towards the end of a battle

Lion - can do a terrify status effect

Stag - has a melee AoE

Wolf - Has a good movement speed

Cant decide which one to choose. Am thinking either:

Wolf, since it moves fast and will engage the target sooner

Bear, since it will last a long time in battle, long enough for me to resolve it

Though am open to other possiblities

Anyway vote on which animal companion you guys think is best!

hey so since I posted this a few weeks ago I understand there have been some more patches

anyone know if animal companions were buffed a bit?

Join the Orcz and help scribe everything that goes on in the world of Pillars of Eternity!

The Unofficial Pillars of Eternity Wiki

I haven't heard about changes to Rangers pets, but Josh did talk about them in the stream last night:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=lft6p0McF00#t=2662

This has me thinking that the pet should be used carefully/tactically.  I plan on rolling a ranger and using the animal companion as a sort of "second wave" attacker.  I'm guessing that will make the wolf best for that kind of play.

I haven't heard about changes to Rangers pets, but Josh did talk about them in the stream last night:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=lft6p0McF00#t=2662

This has me thinking that the pet should be used carefully/tactically.  I plan on rolling a ranger and using the animal companion as a sort of "second wave" attacker.  I'm guessing that will make the wolf best for that kind of play.

what did he say? (am at work so cant watch the video right now)

Join the Orcz and help scribe everything that goes on in the world of Pillars of Eternity!

The Unofficial Pillars of Eternity Wiki

I do have a question. Are people sending their pets in as soon as the fight starts and making them "tank" or are they having them hang back and attack things that are already engaged?

Well, originally, I got the impression that the pet sucked from watching this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jfz0hu8Zjqg#t=3608

In almost all of those encounters the pet goes down.  However, now that I know better, it appears that the pet was put in a very bad position almost every engagement (or outright ignored).

• Like 1

can you cook and eat the animal companion as meat if you are are low on health? ;)

I wish. Someone made a joke about ambulatory rations and the stag back when the ranger and the companion had a shared health pool.

t50aJUd.jpg

Basically that they've gone through a bit of tweaking, and you don't want to use your animal companion as a meat shield (that's not their intended purpose).

so what do you use them for?

you use them to generate flanking bonus, additional interrupts, buff your ranger damage and as a tool for the engagement system, for example you can fill up an enemies engagement limit so you can have another party member move without creating disengagement attacks. Very useful for ranged party members who are getting attacked by someone who slipped past your front, such as enemy rogue NPCs with escape.

Having an additional body in the field is a quite powerful utility with the engagement system. It's generally better when engaging to let the pet lag behind your front tanks, see how the enemies engage your party members and then use the pet to respond accordingly.

All enemies are melee and engaging your tanks? Use the pet to generate flanking bonus for them.

An enemy moving past your frontline towards your ranged? Intercept with the pet and force it into engagement and your ranged characters can burst him down without suffering interrupts to their reload and recovery.

See a ranged attacker in the back? Move your pet to engage and generate some interrupts and a bonus for your ranger to take him out quickly, the AI might even decide to use a disengagement ability, causing it to spend recovery time where it's not dpsing your party.

Edited by GreyZ