435 Discussion

Sensuki

I just played on Hard for a bit (first time since a few BBs back) with the regular party and Druid for my main and a hired Monk. Overall, I like where the difficulty sits I think, although I wish the human parties you face were tougher. Currently those feel kinda weak actually. I'd also agree that the bears with Kograk kinda feels a bit boring in how hard they hit. One can beat the encounter, to be sure, but it's not a very fun encounter the way it's set up.

Also, I love my Druid. And sending stuff flying with that one Monk ability is great fun.

I have taken to using the slow-mo mode. Now that I've gotten used to using it (in the more difficult fights), I like it though it still feels like somewhat of a crutch in that... I still have a hard time deciphering what's going on screen at times.

I wasn't sure what difficulty I would play on for final release but I'm leaning towards Hard now. I think Normal is fun also but Hard pushes me so that make use of a lot more of my abilities, I find it more fun.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I agree that humanoid encounters are a bit of a yawn. Maybe they should do something to Medreth's group to make it a bit better? I've also been repeatedly fighting the Drake Egg dudes tonight and that has been more fun to play than previous - they should change the Wizard AI though so that she always casts her protection spell (Mirror Image?) first.

A lot of the issue with the enemy parties is just AI issues. They could use their abilities and spells more optimally, and I haven't ever seen an enemy use an item like a potion or anything either. TBH I miss pre-buffs, because pre-buffed enemies were fun to face off against.

The changes to damage calculation and Attack Resolution have definitely made a positive difference in the flow of combat, but I don't think I like the attribute changes.

Edited by Sensuki

Thanks !

Now some basic questions about the attributes :)

DEX +% to action speed- this means the bonus % lessens recovery time ? In practise, a 14-16 DEX character would have smaller rec. times by 0.20-0.40sec, depending on the weapon/spell used to attack ?

INT +% to AoE- does this bonus % also apply to range of attack/spell, e.g. if an atk is performed from up to 10m away, will that range be increased ?

Also, we know a Barbarian's Carnage ability is AoE, so bonus INT % increases that range (although by a minor amount if I had to guess), but does the bonus % apply to stuff like engagement range ?

That's it for now :D

ty in advance

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

Dexterity works for spells, but for weapons it currently slows your recovery time rather than making it faster. They've fixed the bug internally - I might PM Adam Brennecke and get him to tell me where the bug is so I can fix it and put it in the IE mod.

AoE does not apply to range.

Carnage is increased by AoE, and 18 INT Barbarian is *LOL*, that's one of the characters I'm testing with at the moment, super, super good. No it doesn't apply to Engagement range. 

Edited by Sensuki

About DEX, my question is not about the bug but more like, how noticeable is the reduction % in rec. time.

Let's say an average 14 DEX, (-12% rec time):

-what's the reduction in sec for an average spell-casting time ?

-how much is it for a heavy, slow melee or ranged weapon ?

-how much for a fast weapon ?

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

Since this is the last build we may now discuss about actual numbers for attributes.

For instance, MIG should be useful for high-dmg weapons, or for high-dmging spells, but will have less impact if you plan to dual-wield fast but low-dmg weapons.

DEX sounds useful for casters, especially if they have long casting times, or 'brutes' with slow weapons, but will have less impact if you use faster weapons with small recovery time.

It will be great if we can have tables with actual numbers sometime in the future, like 1 point in DEX lessens your rec time by 0.10sec if you use a Greatsword, 0.05sec if using a stiletto, or 0.20sec less casting time for said spell (the numbers are fictional, idk any of the actual rec times for different atk methods)

#edit: thx for the video, i ll watch it at home, i now pay for internet service by the megabyte

Edited by constantine

ZUOrggg.jpg

So ... this is apparently the new "Stuck" FX lol

The new Stuck FX is really strange.Why don't they just copy the Spider Web FX in BG2.

• Like 2

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, She got the Mercedes Benz

She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

To me the biggest issue with chanter is that some of the skills have been shifted up level - the chanter has always been fairly weak in combat imho.

The chanters at its base was far more durable than any other caster like class.  They had higher endurance and decent melee accuracy, I mean not fighter levels but a far cry from a Wizard or Cipher. 

I posted one earlier in the thread tongue.png Go back and have a look

Anyway its MIG + 3% Dam/Heal, Dex +3% Action Speed, Con +3% Health/Endurance, Per +6% Interrupt/+1 Deflection, Int +6% AoE/+5% Duration, Res 6% Concentration/+1 Deflection

Dexterity and Perception are currently broken too.

As for Perception-Resolve. Those 2 seem connected somehow. What are the base values for interrupt-concentration, 50-50 ? Then a d100 is rolled, then add or substract [interrupt - concentration] and a result of 51+ deals an interrupt ?

Meaning that, all other bonuses aside, an attacker has a 50% to interrupt the defender ?

Also, interrupt derived stat has a base value in relation to the type of weapon/spell, right ? Like in,a Greatsword has more than a dagger per say.

On the other hand, concentration can only be increased by RES % ? The mechanic sounds quite chaotic..

Interrupt has several base values 0, 30, 40, 50, 60 and 70.

Concentration is at base value 50 for all creatures ? Aren't there different values based on creature type or class ?

Fine. So, every RES point above 10 adds 3 to your concentration value, and a character with 18 RES would have 74 concentration.

He would still be 46% likely to be interrupted by a heavy atk of 70 base interrupt value, but only 6% likely to be when suffering a light atk of interrupt value 30.

Anyone been using low damage weapons this build? 

With crits being rare and the changes to damage calculation I think it makes them utter rubbish. Been using 1H normal weapons (war hammers, maces, spears, swords) in dual wielding or two handers. Haven't been using ranged much either, just not enough DPS.

Anyone been using low damage weapons this build? 

With crits being rare and the changes to damage calculation I think it makes them utter rubbish. Been using 1H normal weapons (war hammers, maces, spears, swords) in dual wielding or two handers. Haven't been using ranged much either, just not enough DPS.

I've been using a low damage bow. IT SUCKS!!! Seriously, bows need a buff.

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

So... Resolve dump stat 2015?

It must be a role-playing stat. Plus for some slow attacking builds it would suck to be interrupted and tipping the chances even by little to your favour is something I would do, especially if there is some talent that increases concentration as well, I may psynergize to have better results.

For example, a slow, front-line, dmg-dealer would hate interrupts, as would a front-line caster (if such a thing is viable) with long casting times.

But yeah, I wouldn't see other reason to pump resolve, except for RP purposes.

In a similar fashion, putting points in Perception will have meaning if your means of attacking has a high base interrupt value:

1 point in Perception translates to 32 interrupt (31.8 rounded up) for weapons of 30 base interrupt, 53 for base value 50 and 74 (74.2 rounded down) for base value 70.

The effects are once again minor, but I begin to suspect this is the issue for all stats in the game (omg I am turning into @nipsen ! :p )

Ok I guess since (barring bugfixes) this is the best feel we're going to get for the game, my questions are as follows:

I gather the Ranger is still the worst class. Is it unique enough to be worth it anyway? I'll definitely play through more than once with different classes but had my heart on Ranger first. Since the HP link between ranger and companion has been tossed, can someone explain what makes tHe ranger subpar?

I know it's been explained a hundred times but for the pitiable intellects out there (in here ;_;)... what is the roll for interrupt? If I have 50 interrupt and foe has 50 concentration, for example.

I haven't played the beta, but from what I gather is as follows:

IF you are in the middle of preparing an atk-spell you may get interrupted (action is canceled, spell-ability use is not wasted though -correct me if I'm wrong- )

The chance to be interrupted is 51 or higher on a 1d100 + {attacker's interrupt value} - [defender's concentration value]

When they fix the Interrupt bug in the next patch we'll be able to test it, but I have a feeling that just like v257/v278 that both Perception and Resolve will be dumpable (or just left at 10) except on a limited number of builds - such as dual wielding Barbarians with a large Carnage AoE. As I said earlier in the thread, maybe +1 Accuracy with Interrupt on Perception would be better, as +2 Accuracy was too high, and Interrupt is reliant on good Accuracy to be effective anyway).

According to this tweet by Josh Sawyer from 4 Feb, it appears bonus interrupt may be being changed to integers, and Concentration just needs to be rolled over.

it is, factually, broken because the game isn't calculating concentration correctly.

there's also a bug where an interrupt on a specific frame will cause an incredibly long (~10 second) recovery.

I've also seen that bug many times in previous builds, but never been sure what caused it.

Edited by Sensuki