Build Thread 2.0

samm

Bizzarely the fans make more noise in intervals once every 20 mins or so for approximately 30 seconds with the temp steady at 28 degrees than they did when I set the CPU to 100%

for 3 - 5 minuites. Maybe something is just having a hard time accepting that the CPU fan is at 400-470 rpm and thinks something is wrong.

During the stress test the CPU got to 32 degrees and was likely still rising when I closed it, but rising very slowly. I'm well pleased that it could stave off CPU temps for so long.

EDIT> nevermind. Opened the case and stuck my ear to the board, it's the power supply doing that. Don't know why I'm running the case open and obsessing about every little noise lol.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I'm getting slow m.2 results. About 1/3 of what I expected in Crystaldisk. Board supports Sata6gb and PCI mode but states that these may be CPU dependent. I can only chose PCI mode in the bios. Maybe that's because the card only does PCI, not sure.

The slots the m.2 slot shares bandwith with are pci express 2.0, and the m.2 card supports PCI express 3.0x4. I can only suppose this is the bottleneck. Can I use a PCI extention card with the m.2 disk in one of the PCIex 3.0 slots, would that help ?

Edit : the answer appears to be yes, I was worried that there was a controller chip in the mix or something making it impossible unless the MB supported it.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

I seriously doubt that PCIE 2.0 is bottlenecking your SSD. An x16 slot has about 8GB/s (not Gbps!) of bandwidth.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Saw a thread where a guy had tried both the m.2 slot and the PCI card with a board in the same family as mine and the latter was faster. Also the PCI 2.0 slot is only x1. From what I can se there are 5 long slots in my board , 2 PCI 3.0 ,  2 PCI 2.0 and a legacy PCI. Also two short ones, PCI 2.0x1 Those are the ones sharing a bandwith with the M.2 slot.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

I didn't realize it was a 1x slot - I figured 4x. In that case...nevermind. :p

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

I did not expect to be able to run out of PCIe lanes and effective x16 speed at all, but apparently that's quite doable while adding an m.2 to a PCIx16 slot. because of the way the MB swaps around bandwith.  

http://superuser.com/questions/1020268/does-m-2-ssd-card-mess-with-pci-express

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

That, and a x16 2.0 slot is still enough for current gen top end GPUs (or close to), and a 3.0 slot is...uh...I think double the bandwidth, so yeah, I wouldn't expect it to make much difference.

And that a PCI-E SSD saturating the bandwidth would probably soon overheat and start throttling anyway. :p At any rate, for both graphics and storage, both aspects are something that'd only likely ever show in edge-case benchmarks and are of no concern to the typical end-user. So for storage at least, there's a reason I'd always recommend bigger over faster.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

My PSU started making a lot of noise in games having installed the GFX card, it's drawing more power obviously and the components are making vibration and popping noises, it sounds like an analogue modem or something, regarless of whether the fans are going. 

This must be the dreaded coil whine and It's much more noticable than with my previous GPU. No fix for that other than getting another.  

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

Better, as in higher quality? Nope. Seasonic is essentially the gold standard in consumer-grade PSUs (or, at the very least, one of the gold standards). However, I find Seasonics to be mildly to moderately overpriced, so I tend to avoid them personally...but you certainly can't go wrong with them if you don't mind paying just a little extra for more or less the highest quality. I say "more or less", because there are other brands that are pretty darn close to the same quality, but a little cheaper: some of those brands even just use rebrands of Seasonic PSUs, haha.

Edited by Bartimaeus

Seasonic is indeed the gold standard in PSUs.  If you buy Seasonic you know you're getting top notch build quality, Japanese capacitors, no corner cutting, just a rock solid product.  You can probably get something that will work just as well for less, but when you buy Seasonic you know for sure you're getting top quality.  When I bought my Seasonic X Series 850W PSU I got it on sale plus a rebate, so I managed to buy it for what I would have paid for a cheaper 850W PSU, thus it was a no-brainer.  Generally, though, you are going to pay a premium over other brands when you buy Seasonic.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Seasonic is indeed the gold standard in PSUs.  If you buy Seasonic you know you're getting top notch build quality, Japanese capacitors, no corner cutting, just a rock solid product.  You can probably get something that will work just as well for less, but when you buy Seasonic you know for sure you're getting top quality.  When I bought my Seasonic X Series 850W PSU I got it on sale plus a rebate, so I managed to buy it for what I would have paid for a cheaper 850W PSU, thus it was a no-brainer.  Generally, though, you are going to pay a premium over other brands when you buy Seasonic.

I don't consider mail in rebates as part of the price: I've been screwed out of too many for literally no given reason for me to do so. It's also just such a crappy process in general.

I don't consider mail in rebates as part of the price: I've been screwed out of too many for literally no given reason for me to do so. It's also just such a crappy process in general.

It is indeed a hassle, but of the dozen or so rebates I've sent in during my life, I've actually gotten money for all of them, shockingly enough.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

So the whining and popping stopped. Now the fans just go all the time in games and it's cooling itself enough not to make extra noise. The fans are kinda annoying since everything else in the case is new and operating quietly and effectively, but since they only go in games I'm usually blasting sound out of my speakers or headphones anyway. I wonder why it took so long to change its mode of operation. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

I sent my monitor to service again, for the same issue. It seems these panels have issues with bright spots appearing, among other things... Anyways, I'm going to return it after they confirm the issue and swap it for a 34UC88 (curved), or if I can get a confirmation from the seller that they will getting it, the 34UM88 model (flat). Both have Free Sync which I won't be using unless I switch to AMD, but the flat model has a 75HZ refresh rate, on the other hand if the 34UM88 has the same panel as the 34UM95 (the one I currently own) I'll be running the risk of the bright spot appearing again. I had no luck finding out the ID of the panel of the new model.

edit: Seems both the 34um88 and the 34uc88 are 60Hz default and 75Hz with freesync enabled.

Edited by Sarex

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i was looking at the numbers and from what i see the RX480 has exactly 5x the performance of my current card (HD7770) with the same power consumption and almost the same price i payed for it back in the day. can't wait for the end of the month. 

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Yeah, we'll see how that pans out in the actual benchmarks, the only measure that really matters...

well i don't expect it to be rivaling the 1070, though it would be really funny if it did, but compared to my current card it's a huge leap. 

some numbers

HD7770: 1TFLOP, 1GB G5, 128bit bus, 1020MHz, 85W

RX480: 5.5TFLOPS, 8GB G5, 256bit bus, 1266MHz, 90-100W

if not 5x, 4x for sure, though i think even more than 5x is not impossible

• Like 1

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.