Build Thread 2.0

samm

So after a little back and forward between the service guys for the monitor, and then with LG's representatives in Serbia and then LG Hungary, I got an approval for a replacement. I should be getting it by the end of the week. I only wonder if I should have maybe replaced it for a 34UM95C instead for the one I already had (34UM95). The difference between the 2 is that the C variant is maybe a newer revision, but it's also a stripped down version of the non C variant, lacks 2 Thunderbolt ports and possibly the dual source capability (which could possibly mean it has one controller and that would probably mean no vertical tearing I have been having). The funny thing is the C variant is a 100 euros more expensive here, but it's 100 euros/dollars cheaper everywhere else I looked...

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Got "new" monitor, easily over 20 dead pixels, some even grouped together. Newer monitor is on the way.

edit: Managed to get 3/5 of them fixed by rubbing them, but the ones near the right edge aren't budging.

Edited by Sarex

I hate it when I get something replaced via warranty, and what they send me is also defective and you have to begin the whole circus operation over again.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I hate it when I get something replaced via warranty, and what they send me is also defective and you have to begin the whole circus operation over again.

Yeah, although I won't need to go through the whole procedure again (at least according to the salesman), they will just keep replacing them until I get a working monitor. The only issue is availability, but in that case I will just go for the C variant or if worst comes to shove I'll just ask for my original monitor back.

i won a laptop earlier this year (crapy thing capable of only the most basic tasks) and it had win8.1 so i upgraded it to win 10 since it was free. the main thing is though, that i learned of a loophole that may allow me to install 10 on my gaming rig that now runs "free" 7 and activate it as genuine using the laptop licence.

now i want to get a SSD for a fresh install because right now im using a very old HDD and a slightly old HDD and i have a question for any who have one: do i need any special cables or the normal SATA that came with my motherboard will do? as for power suply, does it use the normal cables that run from PSU to any SATA device? i had the bad luck to get a new HDD and when i tried to put it on i found out i needed cables and i had to go back to the store to get them (and its quite far) so i'd rather be prepared this time

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Guess third time's the charm (Although this is a different model). No dead pixels or bright spots that I could notice on first glance and no vertical tearing so far, although I will need more time to confirm that.

Glad I've had good luck when it comes to monitors. I've read that its expected you will have a couple of dead pixels even after taking it out of the box. My current monitor is the only one that I noticed a dead pixel, and I have to look real hard to find it.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

the new AMD drivers increased performance quite a bit, but they have a tendency to crash at times and, unlike the old drivers, they dont restart automaticaly. when i notice things going wrong i have to either restart the pc or deactivate and reactivate the graphics card from device manager

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

i was thinking to get a crucial BX200 240GB SSD... i find it to have a good price to GB and speed ratio at the price range im looking at. any thoughts or suggestions?

-Teknoman2-

teknoman2: If you intend to keep your old HDDs to use as additional storage or whatever, make sure they are disconnected from the mainboard before installing Windows on the SSD. Otherwise, they will continue to be used for the boot partition and temporary storage, which will slow down your machine compared to the SSD, and it will also make it impossible to remove the HDDs later even if Windows itself is installed on the SSD.

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

• 1 month later...

Do you guys know what the 4 pins on a SSD are used for?

Toshiba-Q-Pro-SSD-Back.jpg

I'm getting a new drive for a Toshiba laptop and I was going to go for a Samsung 850pro, but I noticed that all Toshiba drives have these 4 pins (even ssd). So I'm wondering if it's maybe better to go for a Toshiba drive?

I tried searching the net for what they are used for, but I got no definitive answers. To even add to the confusion the answers implied that it's different from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Edited by Sarex

"The pins are manufacturer specific and used by both the manufacturer and data recovery experts to access the System Area of the drive. Sometimes those pins support a serial interface, in which case you can attach a 4 pin cable (power, ground, transmit, receive) and talk to the hard drive. Data Recovery hardware, such as a PC-3000, might use these pins to update/repair the firmware on drive, remove an ATA password, or modify/clear the G-list."

I would not personally be concerned, from everything I'm reading. The only two things that matter should be SATA data and SATA power.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Be sure to let us know that it works (and yes, I am assuming that it will, :p).

Trying to find a mouse that works for me. My current mouse is the Logitech G400 (MX518 clone, if you didn't know), but it gives me horrible, horrible hand cramps after a while. So I switched to a Sentey Gammitus for a while (which I got for free in an Amazon promotion, if you're wondering), but its build quality is absolutely terrible and is falling apart after just like 6 months of use...and it ALSO gives me hand cramps. So now I'm using my wireless piece of junk Logitech M510, which actually seems pretty comfortable...buuut it's pretty awful in pretty much every other way. I was going to get the Mionix Avior 7000, but I realized the shape and dimensions of the mouse is pretty darn close to the Gammitus...so I thought, O.K., I'll try the Mionix Castor 7000 instead...but then I realized it's very similar to the G400 I have, too. I'm beginning to think that I may need a smaller mouse period, so I ordered a Logitech G100s for like $15 just to give it a try and see if that makes any difference. However, if you guys have any other ideas, I'm willing to entertain them as well.

Edited by Bartimaeus

Have you tried a trackball?  I don't know about hand cramps, as that's never been a thing I had problems with, but my trackball does wonders to prevent carpal tunnel syndrome.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I have one for when the cramps get too bad and I need a change of pace (and also it's wireless which is good for HTPC use). It's pretty much unusable for playing video games, though, so that's no good.

Be sure to let us know that it works (and yes, I am assuming that it will, :p).

It works! XD

I ended up taking apart the laptop (Toshiba L750) to change the paste and clean the cooling system. I literally had to remove/disconnect the motherboard from everything else to be able to take out the cooler/heatsink. I regret not checking the temps beforehand, but audibly it's better. When the computer is idling the fan is at the lowest setting, as opposed to almost always running on max before. The only thing I'm worried about is that one core is heating up with a max 10 degree © difference. Either way the cooling system is inefficient as it cools the NVIDIA chip and the CPU with the same heatsink. I was able to push the CPU to 99 C with 2 instances (at the same time) of Furmark stress test. Now the only thing I'm kind of worried about is that I used the line method for CPU and dot method for GPU (didn't spread the paste my self), but I'm pretty sure the spread is fine because I screwed in the heatsink and then removed it to check if it covered the whole chip and it was fine (I cleaned it after that and reapplied the paste with the same amount). I think the system will throttle it self as I suspect it was doing before and if not I'll just redo the processes if the laptop starts crashing under load. The only way I'll find out is if I get any complaints. :D

I also started hunting for spare parts for the laptop and surprisingly there are plenty out there. I was looking for the rubber feet and the rubber spacer for the lid as one of each fell out and was lost. Haven't ordered the parts yet but will soon, wonder what the shipping will cost me...

Edited by Sarex

• 2 weeks later...

That feeling when there is a power outage and you turn your PC back on, only to smell burning plastic...

Well it works and the smell dissipated quickly, I did a quick visual inspection and nothing is standing out so I guess I'll leave it be. Either way most of the stuff is still under warranty, so...

Yeah, I ended up getting a Samsung 850 pro.

got the same. found it very cheap on a christmas offer

now to wait for both amd and nvidia to roll out their next line of gpus to replace my old 7770

-Teknoman2-

got the same. found it very cheap on a christmas offer

now to wait for both amd and nvidia to roll out their next line of gpus to replace my old 7770

Do you use RAPID?

I'm waiting for the next gen too, but what I'm really looking forward to is them sweet sweet OLED monitors. Dell will start selling theirs by the end of this month but it's something like $5k, and it's not even guarantied that they got the picture burn in fixed.

nope, i just plugged in the ssd, put in windows 10 and left it as is

-Teknoman2-

• 2 weeks later...

i want a new graphics card and im waiting for the new stuff that will come out later this year. i thought about getting one of the new AMD cards since they will come out first and will probably be cheaper, but all the damned driver crashes im having lately make me think that paying a bit more for nvidia's better software may not be a bad idea

-Teknoman2-