Well, I can obviously only talk about why I dislike it, but... no. It's fairly easy to determine who are the kind of posters who have nothing of value to add to a thread, then I can put them on ignore and be done with it. My problem is that this kind of poster always manages to piss off somebody to the extent that the entire thread devolves into a screaming match, which at best clogs up rational discussion, or - and this is the more common occurance - shuts it down entirely. And I'm sure it's very funny for the outside observer who has no horse in the issue of the day and can just delight in the Grade A snark flying left and right, but for those who'd actually like to discuss the matter at hand like rational people, it's immensely frustrating.

It is entertaining for the participants though, adds an extra edge and thrill to posts laughing.gif.

Ultimately though that is just the lifecycle of a forum thread, for most topics that warrant that much heat it is usually more than a one on one fight and is over something notable. If not then it ends a whimpering death as people agree to disagree and move on. Really isn't as if we are trying to come to an official resolution on any matters, after all.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Also it is hard to determine if the person is just pulling your leg - this is a forum for games, after all, there is no need to be serious.

On this note, I believe one of the most under-used tools in the more-escalated arguments of this forum is the question "What did you mean by that?".

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Also it is hard to determine if the person is just pulling your leg - this is a forum for games, after all, there is no need to be serious.

On this note, I believe one of the most under-used tools in the more-escalated arguments of this forum is the question "What did you mean by that?".

What do you mean, exactly?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Just that, many of the conflicts I've seen have dissolved, sometimes several pages later, over "Oh, that's not what you meant, but I assumed it was and continued to be very adamant about it."

I don't mean that no one ever confirms people's meanings. Just, when there's a heated conflict, it's often fueled by assumption. Even little ones just snowball the whole thing, one frustration at a time. Sometimes it's even assumption in the face of leg-pulling. Although, I haven't seen many of those go very far. 8P

Also... I just realized that you might've been making a joke. :). If you were, you got me. Heh.

Edited by Lephys
  • Like 3

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

• 1 month later...

Game release periods are usually my favorite time...when it's a new experience that "everyone" is sharing, helping others, etc.

Totally, the best. Helping others, sharing ... if Green Shirt Girl needs help crossing Alton Parkway or ordering sushi, I am totally available. 

i totally dig sushi 

• Like 2

Game release periods are usually my favorite time...when it's a new experience that "everyone" is sharing, helping others, etc.

Totally, the best. Helping others, sharing ... if Green Shirt Girl needs help crossing Alton Parkway or ordering sushi, I am totally available.

i totally dig sushi

Lols. I guarantee you that you just made MI's day, if he ever reads this.

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle