Journalism and sexism in the games industry

LadyCrimson

Guys I admire your equanimity in response to the fact that GG doesn't have the support of the mainstream media but how do you imagine GG will progress without this type of backing, doesn't it limit your influence or do you prefer operating on the Internet only?

Well its starting to backfire now. The SVU episode has caused a backlash against the gaming press amongst major developers now, with high ups in Blizzard and Ubisoft coming out in favor now. It just seems like just a matter of time before the support leads to a spillover into the mainstream media.

Source?

No one's coming out in favor per se, but a WoW slammed games media and Ethan James Petty has been calling out the bull **** narrative for a while.

I also sent a girl the Valentine's image I posted earlier.

Yeah, Mark Kern was the specific dev from WoW. And yeah, they may not have come out explicitly for gamergate, but they're calling out the same people for the same reasons, so it counts.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Oh and while I'm at it and just cause Edmund got me thinking about video games I think qualify as art....

Screw you guys, Majora's Mask is art. Totally underrated Zelda title that broke the mold (heaven forbid) and had amazingly strong emotional impact with it's depiction of various characters and how they chose to cope with their final hours. :p

• Like 1

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Oh and while I'm at it and just cause Edmund got me thinking about video games I think qualify as art....

Screw you guys, Majora's Mask is art. Totally underrated Zelda title that broke the mold (heaven forbid) and had amazingly strong emotional impact with it's depiction of various characters and how they chose to cope with their final hours. :p

There was no mold to break for the 3D zelda's at the time. If it makes you feel better I never thought that game wasn't art. I just don't think it's very good. To me, the only good 3D Zelda is Wind Waker.

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Yeah, Mark Kern was the specific dev from WoW. And yeah, they may not have come out explicitly for gamergate, but they're calling out the same people for the same reasons, so it counts.

Probably should be noted that he is, iirc, a former WoW developer, albeit main designer of vanilla. I can't see many currently involved industry people except perhaps some of the east europeans saying something so critical of the press since they mainly want them on their side still.

Majoras Mask was the worst Zelda game, even worse than Wind Waker.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Majoras Mask was the worst Zelda game, even worse than Wind Waker.

Wind Waker was awesome.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

Yeah, but how could you think anything was corrupt on the game blogs when Skyrim gets perfect scores and Wasteland 2 gets marked down to slightly better than average because of bugs?  There is clearly nothing questionable going on there.  

• Like 2

https://archive.today/YqMqD

Looks like we're going to recruited to attack Gawker over the unpaid interns thing.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Looks like we're going to recruited to attack Gawker over the unpaid interns thing.

feelsgoodman.jpg

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

feelsgoodman.jpg

1423762430946.png

Don't forget your new banners, my KOBS brethren. Allahu Acid Rain.

1423995265195.png

• Like 1

The whole 3 page sequence where Titania surrenders because femThor is a woman is just awful.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

It's time to sing along fellas!

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The whole 3 page sequence where Titania surrenders because femThor is a woman is just awful.

Well they are hiring artists from Tumblr...

It pisses me off because it's badly written and reduces a character to a one-dimensional valley girl.

Elizabeth.png

This reminds me that while Ken Levine didn't criticise games journalists for the SVU thing he did have one of the better responses to it:

Next week on Law and order, they take on violent, misogynistic music industry. Can Detective ICE-T stop the fiends?! http://t.co/K9W7JKRJKe

(minor sexy lady warning on his link; would probably get a KaineParker thread shut down)

For anyone who feels like they haven't gotten their daily fill yet of cringe-worthy Political Correctness Authoritarianism under the banner of 'liberalism':

"Eric Posner: Universities Are Right—and Within Their Rights—to Crack Down on Speech and Behavior" [trigger warning: may cause loss of faith in humanity when you realize it's not meant as satire]

The professionally offense-taking culture warriors in the gaming industry are not an isolated phenomenon - it's just spill-over from the illiberal, intolerant, anti-free-speech, anti-due-process, antidemocratic, anti-science culture nurtured by left-authoritarians in US academia.

Small shimmer of hope: The Slate comment section features several self-identified liberals objecting to the author's claim that "Most liberals celebrate these developments". Maybe one day the remaining liberals who actually still care about, you know, liberty and civil rights and such, will reclaim the word for themselves and reject the mainstream "progressive" left as the authoritarian and regressive movement that it is.

Edited by Ineth
  • Like 2

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

For anyone who feels like they haven't gotten their daily fill yet of cringe-worthy Political Correctness Authoritarianism under the banner of 'liberalism':

"Eric Posner: Universities Are Right—and Within Their Rights—to Crack Down on Speech and Behavior" [trigger warning: may cause loss of faith in humanity when you realize it's not meant as satire]

The professionally offense-taking culture warriors in the gaming industry are not an isolated phenomenon - it's just spill-over from the illiberal, intolerant, anti-free-speech, anti-due-process, antidemocratic, anti-science culture nurtured by left-authoritarians in US academia.

Small shimmer of hope: The Slate comment section features several self-identified liberals objecting to the author's claim that "Most liberals celebrate these developments". Maybe one day the remaining liberals who actually still care about, you know, liberty and civil rights and such, will reclaim the word for themselves and reject the mainstream "progressive" left as the authoritarian and regressive movement that it is.

Leftist here, we tend to hate liberals precisely because of **** like this. Expect to see a pushback against authoritarianism in the next few years.

Leftist here, we tend to hate liberals precisely because of **** like this. Expect to see a pushback against authoritarianism in the next few years.

Don't hold your breathe if you expect the left to be the ones to do it. If there is a push back; it'll be from the right.

Edited by Namutree

Elizabeth.png

This reminds me that while Ken Levine didn't criticise games journalists for the SVU thing he did have one of the better responses to it:

Next week on Law and order, they take on violent, misogynistic music industry. Can Detective ICE-T stop the fiends?! http://t.co/K9W7JKRJKe

(minor sexy lady warning on his link; would probably get a KaineParker thread shut down)

Hohohoohooo

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Btw, what's the joke behind **** Wolf? I missed that and didn't get the reference or what was funny about it, and I've been sick as a dog for days straight so may have missed the obvious.

Edited by Gorth
Profanity

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Btw, what's the joke behind **** Wolf? I missed that and didn't get the reference or what was funny about it, and I've been sick as a dog for days straight so may have missed the obvious.

Back in the day Penny-Arcade had this comic-strip about **** wolves:

<snip>

Which caused great controversy to such a ridicolous degree that people where talking about boycotting PAX because they couldn't feel safe due to the strip allegedly trivializing rape. Media made a case about it and they (PA) had to apologize.

But somehow God ascended from the heavens and let a guy named **** WOLF do an episode of SVU that clearly showed how stupid this narrative is to begin with.

Edited by Gorth
Profanity
  • Like 3

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Don't hold your breathe if you expect the left to be the ones to do it. If there is a push back; it'll be from the right.

The Gamergate political compass survey was pretty left dominated- not as much as it was libertarian dominated but maybe 3:1 ratio. Though of course that may not be relevant/ directly applicable for universities and the like where most students (by far) are militantly uninterested in university politics- and PC's methodology may not be wholly unbiased- it does suggest that GG at least has been push back from the left.

In any case the best approach is to just ignore the left right label and treat it entirely as an authoritarian/ libertarian axis thing. As much as is possible at least- says the guy who was describing Breitbart as at best enemy of an enemy a page ago.

Back in the day Penny-Arcade had this comic-strip about **** wolves:

<snip>

Which caused great controversy to such a ridicolous degree that people where talking about boycotting PAX because they couldn't feel safe due to the strip allegedly trivializing rape. Media made a case about it and they (PA) had to apologize.

But somehow God ascended from the heavens and let a guy named **** WOLF do an episode of SVU that clearly showed how stupid this narrative is to begin with.

Great, now I need to find another reaction video good enough for this.

Edited by Gorth
Quoted profanity