What you having for dinner tonight?

Tale

Three night ago I grilled some wings and brats and fixings.

Two nights ago I grilled some trout and some veggies.

Last night I ordered Indian. I can't make a good enough masala myself. Not yet at least.

Tonight I'm still undecided. I kind of want trout again but my wife has a tough time with the bones so I'm thinking of maybe some mussels or shrimp and a nice medium rare steak.

Free games updated 3/4/21

Ohhh... boy. When that truck said those tacos were spicy, they weren't kidding. 4AM tonight is going to be real eventful :p

• Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

taco tuesday.  venison tacos. over the weekend we grilled venison flank steak and a few pounds of chicken in anticipation o' the week o' +105 degree temp days.  so, today is taco tuesday, with venison.

am gonna refuse to answer questions regarding how we got venison this time o' year.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Cod and Bass... is there anything better than fresh fish?

Why no... No, there isn't :p

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

• 2 weeks later...

Believe it or not, I have never tried to make meatloaf before today.  I decided to give it a shot.

cdKlLhr.jpg

Nothing fancy: 80% lean beef, whipped egg, skim milk, plain bread crumbs, and sauteed onions.  Salt, paprika, parsley, and a bit of sage for spices.  Some ketchup on top at the very end.  

yMPuiOX.jpg

xDCGT4x.jpg

Turns out meatloaf is really easy to make, and delicious!  :dancing:

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Believe it or not, I have never tried to make meatloaf before today.  I decided to give it a shot.

(stuff)

Turns out meatloaf is really easy to make, and delicious!  :dancing:

*twitching*

okay.  am glad you enjoyed, but can we make three teensie recommendations for the future?  ignore if you wish.

1) loaf pans is evuhl.

in a pan, grease puddles 'round your meat w/o being able to escape.  results in uneven cooking and potentially gag-worthy results as some portions o' loaf is saturated with liquid fat.  form the loaf and place on either one o' those broiling pan contraptions nobody actually uses or a cookie cooling rack placed over a cookie sheet. 

the purpose o' cooking the loaf in the oven is to use dry heat radiating from all directions to cook food.  have your meatloaf cook in a pool o' grease defeats the point o' cooking in the oven.

side-benefit: sans the loaf pan, you may apply your ketchup-based topping to the sides as well as the top o' the meatloaf.

2) grated onion is superior to diced or chopped.

particular if you wanna use leaner cuts o' meat, the grated onion will help keep your loaf moist.  by taking outta the loaf pan, you is already gonna have a slight drier meatloaf, albeit a less greasy one.  use grated onion to help keep your meatloaf nice and moist.

3) panko

last bit o' advice, and is not directed keyrock specific, but is probable the second biggest meatloaf faux pas behind loaf pans: don't overmix ingredients.  be sure to mix your meatloaf ingredients by hand, and do not succumb to ocd urge to be certain all ingredients is dispersed even in your loaf mixture.  overmixing will cause your meat to become... gummy.  gummy meatloaf is bad meatloaf. combine your ingredients, but when first you ask self if you should combine more, you likely has already combined too much. 

in any event, enjoy meatloaf in all its simple and wonderful glory.  am personal a fan o' a beef/pork/veal equal combination o' meats, but is worth experimenting to find your favorite.  

HA! Good Fun!

ps am not kidding 'bout the evil o' the loaf pan for meatloaf.  a puppy dies every time a meatloaf is cooked in a pan.

CEHMiIhVAAEnSwE.jpg

so if not for the meatloaf, then for the puppies, don't use a pan.

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

a puppy dies every time a meatloaf is cooked in a pan.

In that case, next time I'm using 2 foil pans.  :fdevil:

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I need to make a puppy meatloaf in a foil pan, just for Gromnir.

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Toast and apple jelly.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm supposed to be on a diet, so 90% of the food I am eating consists of vegetables and fruit. The other 10% is chicken.

is fish a possible addition?  

limited availability o' fresh seafood is one o' the major drawbacks to living where Gromnir lives.

http://passmoreranch.com/

didn't even know 'bout this place 'til recent.  less than 8 miles distant.

chicken gets old kinda fast, particular if is a diet situation limiting you to only healthy chicken recipes.  supplement with fish could help.

HA! Good Fun!

This is me...

Edit: Nvm wouldn't load pic. I eat Carls Junior burger today :)

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

I'm supposed to be on a diet, so 90% of the food I am eating consists of vegetables and fruit. The other 10% is chicken.

is fish a possible addition?  

limited availability o' fresh seafood is one o' the major drawbacks to living where Gromnir lives.

http://passmoreranch.com/

didn't even know 'bout this place 'til recent.  less than 8 miles distant.

chicken gets old kinda fast, particular if is a diet situation limiting you to only healthy chicken recipes.  supplement with fish could help.

HA! Good Fun!

VERY late response! Sorry! I'm allergic to fish, but the diet is going well. Lost 10kg and I think that I can easily lose another 5kg if I stay disciplined. Working out is also a big benefactor.

I've started to eat meat again, but not any with lots of fat in it. The whole chicken situation wasn't that bad, but mixing it with some meat every now and then helps. Some days, I skip all kinds of meat and just go full vegetarian.

I'm cheating every now and then (once a week). Can't do anything about it with a big family. There are birthdays, weddings and all kinds of shenanigans that hinder a 7 day diet. Luckily, the work out I do, is much tougher than I have ever done and I have seen a reasonable improvement in conditioning/endurance or whatever it is called. Feeling really good.

It's been a busy few weeks at work including the odd business trip. Our colleagues in Budapest have been rather gracious hosts and this is one of the meals we had. Bad lighting and a company iPhone make for terrible pictures but it's recognizable enough. ;)

pvkHWYs.jpg

• Like 3

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Just had left over chile. In case you didn't know, left over chile is better than fresh chile :p

I ended up slathering the lamb in a mix of olive oil, mint, cilantro, garlic, and spices. Grilled that and served it sliced with some pita, onion, tomato, cucumber, hummus, and sauce.

For lunch I grilled some romaine hearts and served them as a salad with fried capers, homemade croutons, parm, black pepper, and dressing

Free games updated 3/4/21