What you did today

LadyCrimson

I haven't been ill in nine and a half years so I guess I must be doing something right.

This is the first time I've ever had anything more serious than a slight infection or influenza.

As for the people asking what it is. It started as a small infection in the lungs that spread to the brain by a case of rare bad luck. The scary part was that the doctor pointed out, if the first 24 hours hadn't gone as well as they did I would've had a 10-15% chance of dying despite treatment, but now I'm in the clear.. Phew

Ros, in the case my post looks like I'm criticizing your lifestyle for contracting this serious illness, or if it seems like I'm saying that my lifestyle is better than yours, thats definitely not the case and it wasn't specifically aimed at you or anyone.

Get better and don't waste your time with us fools here, right now the last thing your brain should be exposed to is the madness in here. tongue.png

Generally speaking, I read some science journals and books I borrow from the local library, if I hear something interesting from people that I feel I need to know more about I go looking for more information about it. I have a few friends at Chalmers and Astra Zeneca that I speak to now and then that can clarify things for me if need be.

Not really sources of information but I also listen to the Skeptics guide to the universe wich is quite entertaining and I do read Bad Astronomy and Neurologica blog now and then.

Those are very valid sources which are almost identical to mine, I know people with a degree in micro biology with a specialization in kidney diseases. (With their knowledge the life of my sick cat which suffered from near-kidney failure could be prolonged by two years) But mainly a lot of highly praised books.

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

No one can slay time's effects forever...but that doesn't stop us all from trying. Course, not all of us try equally hard. And just like everyone poo's, everyone dies. But if you try, you can leave a pretty good looking corpse.

Sci-fi often likes to propose eternal non-material/non-physical lifeforms that spend their entire existences thinking. I like thinking, but if that's all there was available to do, I'd probably get pretty bored. So immortal or not, no thanks.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

"Like I told you before, I've been a successful craftsman who is happy with what he makes. Thank you for literally telling me that I'm an idiot and no good because I have a different philosophy on cleaning my workplace but thank you."

is much like your misconceptions about health. just because you have been doing things a certain way for an admitted relative short period of time, does not necessarily mean that your way is the right way.  

workplace_accidents.jpg

you seem to have many accidents. most common cause o' accidents is carelessness.  a decent craftsman typically is much concerned about the care o' his tools and workplace environment, for multiple reasons.  one obvious reason is safety. you have problems with safety.  so yeah, you been doing it wrong. deal with it. if you don't prioritize care of your tools and work environment, you is definite and incontrovertible wrong. 

has we met competent craftsman who didn't respect their tools or work environment? sure. hated working with them too as they were a danger to themselves and others. hopefully you work alone, so your lackadaisical habits need not endanger anybody else.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

My husband used to cut his hands a lot while working on mechanical things. His excuse was that his hands are too large to fit into tiny spaces very well...which is true enough. But he's also often in a hurry, which makes him clumsy. :lol:

...balance and flexibility is one reason I've avoided a lot of bodily injuries. Who'd have thought those childhood gymnastic and ballet classes would pay off like that. Too bad arthritic knees have partially taken that away from me. Oh well. :biggrin:

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Those are very valid sources which are almost identical to mine, I know people with a degree in micro biology with a specialization in kidney diseases. (With their knowledge the life of my sick cat which suffered from near-kidney failure could be prolonged by two years) But mainly a lot of highly praised books.

Three engineers, microprocessors and mechanical. And an DNA analyst I think it's called, she's offered to have a looksee but I don't want to know what might be hiding in there. ;)

Pff, too tired to play games, and definetly to tired to read and bored out of my mind. Don't want to go to bed though, since I don't want to mess up my sleep rythm.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I'm in one of those "chatty" moods, where I end up posting nonsense on forums for a few hours instead of doing anything more productive.

Did you know that racoons sometimes like to drag cat-waste bags from the garbage can to the backyard patio, where they rip them open and shake them about? It's really fun. For them, apparently, at least.

• Like 1

is much like your misconceptions about health. just because you have been doing things a certain way for an admitted relative short period of time, does not necessarily mean that your way is the right way.

Maybe its just me, I'd rather trust someone who has 8 years of experience and lots of success in a certain profession than someone who criticizes said person with absolutely zero experience.

In this case your opinion has no value.

you seem to have many accidents.

Compared to what or whom? You? Do you even know how much time I spent crafting? Or how little? And with what kind of tools I work with? And what kind of accidents I had? Unless you have access to those informations you saying that I have many accidents is unfounded drivel. But I expected no less.

And a fun fact: I've never injured myself in my workshop, which makes this whole discussion and your assumptions unfounded and meaningless.

a decent craftsman typically is much concerned about the care o' his tools and workplace environment, for multiple reasons.

I know two decent craftsmen who do wonders, and their workplace is dirty and messy. One is a gunsmith who builds rifles who is a good friend of mine. I'm also happy with my results, and my cleaning schedule cannot be described as obsessive. So my experience tells me workplace tidiness is not required to be a good craftsman.

I'd love to see you teach the gunsmith how to be a proper craftsman. *chuckles*

one obvious reason is safety. you have problems with safety.  so yeah, you been doing it wrong. deal with it. if you don't prioritize care of your tools and work environment, you is definite and incontrovertible wrong.

Read above. Edited by Woldan

I'm in one of those "chatty" moods, where I end up posting nonsense on forums for a few hours instead of doing anything more productive.

Did you know that racoons sometimes like to drag cat-waste bags from the garbage can to the backyard patio, where they rip them open and shake them about? It's really fun. For them, apparently, at least.

I wish there was raccoons here, but I've got... well, foxes. Two of them, or atleast I had this summer. They scare away my cats to steal their catfood only to be chased away by the badger. Thieving bastards. >_<

We do get the occasional drunk moose though. :D

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Read above.

that part is worth repeating. read above concerning anecdotal evidence.  want us to post 'bout 100+ links to sites for welders, carpenters, construction workers and craftsmen of all types that mention the importance of "safety first"? forget for a moment that a cluttered work environment is an obvious time waster, but safety should always be paramount, and cleanliness is invariably an aspect o' a safe work environment.

*shrug*

if you is actual arguing this, you is beyond help.

cats is a subject 'pon which we rare add anything. nevertheless, Gromnir has one o' those gigantic 64 gallon trash containers that we maintain against an enclosure wall that makes it very difficult to tip over.  a raccoon could tip it over if it genuine wished to, but there is so many cat owners in the neighborhood on fair sized, non uniform lots (ours is .37 acres) that we suspect the the opportunity for cat food trumps our cat litter waste as far as raccoon fodder/plaything go.  that being said, we never cease to be amazed at how much dirt 2 cats are able to produce.  we made our cats indoor-only a few years ago after one were bitten by a rattlesnake.   cost were $800 to treat and it were a near thing on survival... were a kinda Last Straw moment for Gromnir cat freedom. am not certain if we has saved money on vet bills or lost money with increase in food and litter costs.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

if you is actual arguing this, you is beyond help.

HA! Good Fun!

Why, no need, I never let my workplace become so dirty that it is unsafe to work there, I don't know what make you think I do but I already said so in the last ''what you did'' thread, and several times in my earlier posts. When a workplace becomes so dirty that it becomes unsafe it already prevents proper use of tools anyway and its no longer a workshop, a shop where work can be done.

However, I do not care if it is dirty and messy. There is a difference you see?

Also, I've already seen clean yet highly unsafe workplaces.

But you are also saying that I had so many accidents in my workshop, I don't know from which parallel-universe you are getting your informations, the worst I could do is cutting myself with a chisel or squishing my finger in my reloading press since I do not work with electric equipment (ok, I work with the drill, very rarely). And those things could happen in the cleanest environment.

Gromnir's a Lawyer, IIRC.

Now everything makes sense. If I remember the last two hearings I had to participate in, as witness.... Edited by Woldan

Wait, milk, two liters per day, that's how much I drink ... SO NOW MY PROSTATE WILL EXPLODE AFTER I GET MENINGITIS OH GOD

I'm a milk drinker too, 0.5-1 liter / day easily, but usually I mix it with cocoa powder. We should make a prostate-wreck-group. I've also heard milk increases the likelihood of getting kidney stones, so we even have a choice. Edited by Woldan
  • Like 2

is not a single irresponsible and slovenly craftsman we has met who has admitted that their work habits were irresponsible. so, color us less than surprised that you would have a similar blind spot.  

so, want the links about importance of maintaining clean and organized work environments? no?  you can show us similar links o' craftsman who says a cluttered and disorganized workplace is a good thing as long as it is clean enough, yes?

btw, we never said you were injured in workshop. you has been injured a great deal, and that is, like or not, a warning sign o' carelessness... or perhaps parkinson. 

*snort*

as we said already: beyond help.  seriously, a self-described craftsman actual arguing that a cluttered work space were not only ok, but a good thing? is funny if it weren't sad. hopeless. done.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

is not a single irresponsible and slovenly craftsman we has met who has admitted that their work habits were irresponsible. so, color us less than surprised that you would have a similar blind spot.

Well, but we can always use the accident-ratio to gauge the irresponsibility of a craftsman, right? Well, I never had an accident at my workplace. Now tell me, from behind your computer how irresponsible I am and how dirty my workplace is. I'd love to have more insight over my workplace and its lack of tidiness, its always lovely to get judged from a complete stranger behind a computer.

so, want the links about importance of maintaining clean and organized work environments? no? you can show us similar links o' craftsman who says a cluttered and disorganized workplace is a good thing as long as it is clean enough, yes?

Why would I need those links, I know it works because I do it on a daily basis and I know others who work in a not so tidy work environment. You are always welcome to visit my country and watch me and my crafty friends work and gather some first hand experience. I'll teach you how to refurbish a 135 year old gun stock, without suffering any injuries.

btw, we never said you were injured in workshop. you has been injured a great deal, and that is, like or not, a warning sign o' carelessness... or perhaps parkinson.

A great deal? Oh my, I would have noticed that I think, especially with my tight exercise schedule, a serious injury would have thrown me back for months if not more, yet I'm at my peak. How odd. But please tell me what you remember of this ''Accident'', I love hearing stories about me that never happened.

Also if I were careless I would be a very dangerous gun owner! But oddly people trust me at the firing range, heck, they even assign me to range officer duties where I have to take care that no accidents happen and thats with 35 armed men and women at the shooting range, many new to firearms. I also instruct the shooters who to handle their weapons in a safe manner to prevent accidents. If anything happens I'm responsible, by law.

I've been a trusted member and firearms instructor at the firing range for over ten years now, which is pretty strange for an irresponsible clumsy person with Parkinson.

And If I suffered from Parkinson disease I couldn't be that successful in lifting weights, neither could I make gun stocks with my bare hands, another case of you not knowing what you're talking about. of course, those who are more active are also more accident prone, thats just the way it is. I think I'm automatically more prone to accidents due to my hobby of climbing high mountains. Does this make me a clumsy klotz with Parkinson? I think not.

But remembering things that didn't happen is an early sign of dementia, and thats the truth.

as we said already: beyond help.

Odd, I feel pretty good for being beyond help, are you sure thats the case? I've seen people who were truly beyond hope, they didn't have beautiful lives. Edited by Woldan

My husband hasn't had a truly organized or super clean work area (garages) in forever. He tries, but ... yeah. He hasn't killed himself yet. I would agree that cleanliness and good organization certainly can help prevent accidents, whether in home or workshop, but more often it's a lack of training, common safety sense, overconfidence (this will just take a sec, I don't need safety goggles!), impatience and being in a hurry that cause them, imo.

Also...I used to a drink a lot of milk, growing up. Non-fat milk was kind of what I drank when I didn't want water, since it was so thin and water-like. It's pretty rare now. I stopped liking it for some reason.

• Like 2

The best milk I've ever drunk was in Iceland, from the factory called MS, the milk was called ''Nimyölk'', or thats what was printed on the pack, but I think they import it from Sweden. In 10 days I've only seen a handful of cows there, and those weren't milk cows.

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 1

The first time I had whole milk (after growing up non-fat) I felt like I was drinking butter. It is tasty...but I still prefer no more than 2% when I do get a little milk. Ricotta cheese is the one I like, I prefer the smoother texture. I'd eat it out of the tub with a spoon. Strangely, I don't like it in lasagna.

The best milk I've ever drunk was in Iceland, from the factory called MS, the milk was called ''Nimyölk'', or thats what was printed on the pack, but I think they import it from Sweden. In 10 days I've only seen a handful of cows there, and those weren't milk cows.

If I look this up, will there be goats staring back at me. 

All Stop. On Screen.

to lc:

you do realize that all those things you mention is intimate related to maintaining your work area, yes?  

being in a hurry leads to clutter. takes a couple minutes now to put away and clean tools, or, we wait til later? 

overconfidence is believing that unlike the folks who trained you, or any reasonable craftsman, you can work safely in a messy environment.

keeping a clean and uncluttered work space is common safety sense.  am not seeing how that could possibly be argued against.  

and every freaking genuine craftsman Gromnir has ever worked with (a good number) has stressed that safety come first.  maintain tools and workplace is also taught as foundational for non-safety reasons too.  first impressions is tough to break, and the slob who don't care enough to take care o' his tools is gonna instant be a magnet for derision, spoken or unspoken. an uncluttered workplace is also more likely to result in an uncluttered finished product... 'cause if only we had cleaned the oil and metal shavings away five minutes sooner...  etc. 

is many cause of accidents. as we said earlier, carelessness is the most common cause--careless due to fatigue or poor training or whatever. everybody is careless at some point. that is one reason why craftsman keep work areas clean and uncluttered. bad things is more likely to happen in a cluttered work space with poorly maintained tools. that should be self evident.

may be easier for folks to look at this from a different point o' reference.  folks on these boards is more likely to have spent time in a chemistry or materials lab than in a metal, wood or auto shop.  the reasons for maintaining a clean work environment in a chem lab is much the same as maintain uncluttered work space in a metal shop. not only does a clean work space tend to lead to better and more accurate results, but it is far safer.  we bet we got more than a few slobs 'round these parts, but is anybody here gonna suggest that keeping an uncluttered and clean lab space is unimportant?

heck, we has known many guys tinkered in the garage a fair amount without getting killed. am not sure if we would call them craftsman though. *chuckle* we actual took auto shop in high school. seriously, honors auto shop in point o' fact. the extra grade point didn't count towards academic gpa, but the notion that a high school would offer an honors auto shop still tickles our funny-bone. the teacher, a guy with a beet red complexion whose name were Mr. Roach, thought we were insane to take the class. called us "professor" in a unapologetic and sardonic manner. we did basic stuff such as taking apart and re-assembling lawnmower engines, then valve jobs and increasingly more complex stuff. roach were no less a stickler for organization and cleanliness and respect for one's work space than were our chemistry teacher, or our grandfather who were a carpenter, or the guy who ran the metal shop where we worked.

the first real slob craftsmen we ever came across were some roofers. not all roofers, but a few. they were getting paid by the square, which in itself led to dangerous conditions. guys on a 12/12 pitch roof, taking amphetamines to keep their pace so they can get paid. then boss acts surprised when there is an accident? those were the guys who left hammers unattended or an extra roll o' tar-paper perched precariously against the chimney. were dangerous and stoopid.

in any event, if your husband were an auto mechanic (we don't know what he is/were) am certain he would vouch for importance o' maintaining a clean an uncluttered workplace, even if, perhaps, he fails to follow his own guidelines nowadays. if he is just a hobbyist... well, that is a bit different.

nevertheless, if you wish to discuss, we will continue, but as we said, am done with woldan on this.  is as ridiculous as a serious chemist telling us that an messy work area is a sign o' creativity or whatever the bunk were he initial spouted.  is nonsense.

HA! Good Fun!

ps hmmm... reply/quote error. oh well. also, we have no comment on milk as we primarily use it as a cooking ingredient as opposed to as a beverage. though we once had strawberry quick as a kid and thought it were the bestest thing ever.

Edited by Gromnir

... I think you're really picking nits, Gromnir. I already said cleanliness/organization can/does contribute to safety. But I do not think super-duper doses of that are necessarily the be-all end-all of safety or that one has to have super-duper amounts of that in order to never/very rarely have an accident. One can be just as careless in a spotless environment as not. Heck you could have a totally empty room and still trip over your own feet and end up with a bad concussion. :lol: Certainly, the fact one's powersaw is tidily put away somewhere vs. lying on the floor for one to trip and fall onto with one's face is a point in safety's favor and I wouldn't argue something like that at all.

Hubby does not do any mechanical stuff as a career, no, but he did take the workshops, studied, worked in a lumber yard, has pulled out, taken apart/rebuilt whole engines, worked with and built small lasers, constructed furniture/home repair projects, rewired houses, rebuilt kitchens, roofs, pathways, yards etc. for real-estate projects and the like.

At any rate, I've said what I think and meant what I said and have no wish to engage in lengthy minutiae debate. I'm not a lawyer and I'm sure you (and many others here) could run rings around me in that regard until my head spun and I forgot what point I was even trying to make. I'm just the sort who observes stuff and sometimes forms opinions on that stuff. :biggrin:

... I think you're really picking nits, Gromnir. I already said cleanliness/organization can/does contribute to safety. But I do not think super-duper doses of that are necessarily the be-all end-all of safety or that one has to have super-duper amounts of that in order to never/very rarely have an accident. One can be just as careless in a spotless environment as not. Heck you could have a totally empty room and still trip over your own feet and end up with a bad concussion. :lol: Certainly, the fact one's powersaw is tidily put away somewhere vs. lying on the floor for one to trip and fall onto with one's face is a point in safety's favor and I wouldn't argue something like that at all.

am s'posing the laughy face means we ain't to take serious... or not. am never good with emoticons and whether they is meant face-value or deflection.

*shrug*

we will simply note that you is being a bit silly with the self-concussion shtick and the "be-all end-all" hyperbole/strawman. if you is gonna add that kinda thing to a post, at least spread it out a bit, eh? have such stuff slammed together and then throw in the over-the-top power saw example to show proof o' your willingness to concede a point (*snort*)  makes us itch to smite with righteous indignation at your foul treatment o' reason and/or logic. *add smiley emoticon here if you so desire*

in any event, am not certain what more we can say.

HA! Good Fun!