Happiest Countries in the World proves Western Ideology Works

BruceVC

So Obama offers sins and butthurt in hell while Putin offers paradise and blessing in Edem. o:)

Interesting...

Tell me more about this...Edem place.

It's a sex club where you can sex up grandmothers while babies watch. Pictures of Putin adorn the place as well.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

7/10 though, given the non-Western posters we have on here and the Western ones we have, this seems like it will catch on well.

7/10? Wouldn't award more than about 3/10 myself, and that only because he got some bites. It's a pure oby topic, just from the exact opposite direction.

• Like 4

7/10 though, given the non-Western posters we have on here and the Western ones we have, this seems like it will catch on well.

7/10? Wouldn't award more than about 3/10 myself, and that only because he got some bites. It's a pure oby topic, just from the exact opposite direction.

Initially I was going to make some snarky comment but then I thought " I am partly responsible for this polarisation on these forums " when it comes to discussions on Western culture and Western ideology . And this probably goes back to the Ukraine thread where we all drew lines and became intransigent

So I want to make a concerted effort to reach out to you and get you to comment in way that is constructive. So lets take what you just said and why you said it?

You have become so convinced in all the faults with the West that when I make a post that is linked by a factual link you assume I must be trolling? I'm not, the facts speak for themselves

This is not a discussion about Western foreign policy, this is not a discussion about Western intervention in controversial arenas around the world and why they do it. Lets leave that for other threads

This is about a simple political consideration. Western countries offer there citizens the best quality of life and have the happiest citizens. So isn't the corollary of this the fact that Western governments have  the best run governments in the world? Why is this point so difficult for you to agree or disagree with?

If you disagree with me then post your own list of countries with a valid link that discuss happiness factors so I can review it. If I'm wrong about what countries offer there citizens the best lifestyle then I want to know about it . But all  I'm getting with  some people who disagree with me on this thread is " you wrong about your list, you must be trolling "

The whole question of what type of governments are the most effective is very relevant to me because in Africa at the moment there are several discussions about "what types of governments will allow effective economic transformation to the economically besieged continent "

For me its obvious, Africa needs to stay the course and continue to follow Western style democracies, its the only realistic  political option  IMO that will allow foreign investment and ensure economic  stability. The problem in Africa is not around Western style democracies but the fact that several countries have just not implemented Democracies properly. So people are asking " when are we going to see the results of this Democracy system ", when in fact they should be realizing " you won't get the proper investment we need until we correctly implement systems that will give confidence to investors and stability "

You will notice I dropped the word superior

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Initially I was going to make some snarky comment but then I thought " I am partly responsible for this polarisation on these forums " when it comes to discussions on Western culture and Western ideology . And this probably goes back to the Ukraine thread where we all drew lines and became intransigent

So I want to make a concerted effort to reach out to you and get you to comment in way that is constructive. So lets take what you just said and why you said it?

You have become so convinced in all the faults with the West that when I make a post that is linked by a factual link you assume I must be trolling? I'm not, the facts speak for themselves

This is not a discussion about Western foreign policy, this is not a discussion about Western intervention in controversial arenas around the world and why they do it. Lets leave that for other threads

This is about a simple political consideration. Western countries offer there citizens the best quality of life and have the happiest citizens. So isn't the corollary of this the fact that Western governments have  the best run governments in the world? Why is this point so difficult for you to agree or disagree with?

If you disagree with me then post your own list of countries with a valid link that discuss happiness factors so I can review it. If I'm wrong about what countries offer there citizens the best lifestyle then I want to know about it . But all  I'm getting with  some people who disagree with me on this thread is " you wrong about your list, you must be trolling "

The whole question of what type of governments are the most effective is very relevant to me because in Africa at the moment there are several discussions about "what types of governments will allow effective economic transformation to the economically besieged continent "

For me its obvious, Africa needs to stay the course and continue to follow Western style democracies, its the only realistic  political option  IMO that will allow foreign investment and ensure economic  stability. The problem in Africa is not around Western style democracies but the fact that several countries have just not implemented Democracies properly. So people are asking " when are we going to see the results of this Democracy system ", when in fact they should be realizing " you won't get the proper investment we need until we correctly implement systems that will give confidence to investors and stability "

I'm not a foreign policy expert or anything, but... While being able to elect your government is a good thing, I don't think the biggest problem many countries in Africa have is that they don't have a democracy. To have a democracy first you need the foundations for it. Many of the western democracies have developed these foundations gradually over time. Many countries in Africa don't have these foundations yet, and in some cases it is doubtful if they ever will. A lot of countries in Africa are no more than arbitrary patches of land thought up on a colonial congress with the help of a pencil and a ruler. Honestly you can't be surprised that these states don't manage to function, it would be a miracle if they did.

• Like 1

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

I'm not a foreign policy expert or anything, but... While being able to elect your government is a good thing, I don't think the biggest problem many countries in Africa have is that they don't have a democracy. To have a democracy first you need the foundations for it. Many of the western democracies have developed these foundations gradually over time. Many countries in Africa don't have these foundations yet, and in some cases it is doubtful if they ever will. A lot of countries in Africa are no more than arbitrary patches of land thought up on a colonial congress with the help of a pencil and a ruler. Honestly you can't be surprised that these states don't manage to function, it would be a miracle if they did.

You have raised several applicable points that could explain the state of economic transformation in Africa

But here is something you may not know, most African countries received there independence in the 1960's. And they were given working countries and government institutions. The French and British were particular good at doing this, they also wanted the new countries to succeed and sometimes ended up supporting the dictators that followed colonialism.

But what happened in the case of almost all African countries was the new governments completely mismanaged the economies, ignored the principles of Democracy, were concerned only with there own tribe and or basically enriched themselves at the expense of there own citizens

By the 1980's almost every single African country was bankrupt and needed loans from the IMF to sustain the growth of there countries. Now we fast forward to 2014 and the days of your quintessential African dictator are basically over. There are maybe 2-3 African leaders  who are "rulers for life " as the old dictators use to refer to themselves as.

So now there is a new narrative, questions in Africa are being asked like " what is role of Africa in the world", " how do we transform our economies" and " lets create the African economic renaissance "

So my concern is certain African leaders because of the dislike of Colonialism don't see anything positive from how Western countries run there governments. Yet my original point is still valid. Lets leave the emotion and perceived criticism of the West out of this discussion and acknowledge the positive that we as Africans, and others, can learn form the West. If the citizens of Western countries are the happiest citizens in the world then surly we as Africans should be learning from them and there systems of government and not trying to look to China for political guidance ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

You have raised several applicable points that could explain the state of economic transformation in Africa

But here is something you may not know, most African countries received there independence in the 1960's. And they were given working countries and government institutions. The French and British were particular good at doing this, they also wanted the new countries to succeed and sometimes ended up supporting the dictators that followed colonialism.

But what happened in the case of almost all African countries was the new governments completely mismanaged the economies, ignored the principles of Democracy, were concerned only with there own tribe and or basically enriched themselves at the expense of there own citizens

By the 1980's almost every single African country was bankrupt and needed loans from the IMF to sustain the growth of there countries. Now we fast forward to 2014 and the days of your quintessential African dictator are basically over. There are maybe 2-3 African leaders  who are "rulers for life " as the old dictators use to refer to themselves as.

So now there is a new narrative, questions in Africa are being asked like " what is role of Africa in the world", " how do we transform our economies" and " lets create the African economic renaissance "

So my concern is certain African leaders because of the dislike of Colonialism don't see anything positive from how Western countries run there governments. Yet my original point is still valid. Lets leave the emotion and perceived criticism of the West out of this discussion and acknowledge the positive that we as Africans, and others, can learn form the West. If the citizens of Western countries are the happiest citizens in the world then surly we as Africans should be learning from them and there systems of government and not trying to look to China for political guidance ?

Tribalism is exactly what I meant when I said the foundations weren't there. To have democracy people need to feel connected to each other, they need to feel that they are responsible for each other's well being. And they need to feel safe even when their own preferred party isn't in power at the moment. It needs a cohesion that in many cases simply isn't there. But in Africa as you say tribalism is rooted deeply into people's lives, and this was actually very much encouraged by the colonial powers who ruled by the "divide and rule" principle.

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

This is not a discussion about Western foreign policy, this is not a discussion about Western intervention in controversial arenas around the world and why they do it. Lets leave that for other threads.

Because those topics certainly don't have any relevance here.

No siree.

The problem in Africa is not around Western style democracies but the fact that several countries have just not implemented Democracies properly.

Couldn't possibly be the complete destruction caused by colonialism and on-going neo-colonialism.

Nope.

• Like 1

This is not a discussion about Western foreign policy, this is not a discussion about Western intervention in controversial arenas around the world and why they do it. Lets leave that for other threads.

Because those topics certainly don't have any relevance here.

No siree.

The problem in Africa is not around Western style democracies but the fact that several countries have just not implemented Democracies properly.

Couldn't possibly be the complete destruction caused by colonialism and on-going neo-colonialism.

Nope.

I don't get what you saying?

Maybe you can explain why the invasion of Iraq in 2003, or any other relevant Western intervention you disprove of ,  has anything to do with the fact that the  happiest people in the world who have the best quality of life live in Western countries?

Its almost like you just can't acknowledge that Western countries have effective governments? They not perfect and there is always room for improvement but they are really ahead of other non-Western governments as we can see from the happiness levels of there citizens"?

John Milton 

Tribalism is exactly what I meant when I said the foundations weren't there. To have democracy people need to feel connected to each other, they need to feel that they are responsible for each other's well being. And they need to feel safe even when their own preferred party isn't in power at the moment. It needs a cohesion that in many cases simply isn't there. But in Africa as you say tribalism is rooted deeply into people's lives, and this was actually very much encouraged by the colonial powers who ruled by the "divide and rule" principle.

Yeah that is true, the consideration around Tribalism is still valid in Africa but its becoming less and less important as people recognise the importance of being loyal to the country you live. People still take the cultural influences from there tribe as important, for example they still follow certain customs, but they are committed to the idea of a country first

We see that in South Africa. The ANC, which is the governing political party, has a cabinet that consists of all the various black ethnic groups. And they actually go to great lengths to sometimes appoint people purely because they represent a certain smaller black ethnic group

Another point is I have heard the argument before that says "colonialism is responsible for many of Africa's woes because they created false borders and forced certain tribes to coexist." That may be true in some cases but I would argue it was inevitable that the various tribal structures in Africa would have to become part of some country. If the West hadn't started colonialism the Chinese would have reached Africa and implemented there own form of control. And you can never  go back now, you can never just change the borders because you have real identity and patriotism that's exists in Africa where many people  are proud to be a Namibian or a Nigerian. So for me Africa has to learn  to work with the borders and the realities of what those borders mean. And that's where we can learn from the various stable Western governments

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

Bruce really, nobody is that naive. But since I do occasionally take oby topics seriously...

If I punch you in the face and steal your lunch I will be happy, you will be sad. By your metrics this means that my philosophy of robbery works, and my 'intervention' has worked since it made me happy- and that is true even if the reason you are sad rather than happy is because of my actions.

To be honest that isn't even the worst problem, but that's already 30 seconds more consideration than is really merited.

• Like 5

I don't get what you saying?

Let’s look at the poorest country in the Western hemisphere: Haiti.

In 1915 the Yanks invaded them, massacred thousands of civilians, occupied the land, had the Haitian government dissolved and forbid elections. Of course America’s intentions were noble:

“It was obvious that if our occupation was to be beneficial to Haiti and further her progress it was necessary that foreign capital should come to Haiti. Americans could hardly be expected to put their money into plantations and big agricultural enterprises in Haiti if they could not themselves own the land on which their money was to be spent.”

After 20 years of occupations America offloaded the occupation onto their despotic puppet dictator Papa Doc and later his son ‘Baby Doc’. Under their rule (with CIA support) tens of thousands were executed, living conditions plummeted and foreign aid went directly into their hands (e.g. In 1980, the IMF provided $22 million to Haiti but $16 million of it ‘disappeared’.) By 1985 (with U.S support) 60% of Haiti’s population had an annual per capita income of $60 or less, sex-slavery was booming, child malnutrition had soared and infant mortality was at an all time high.

In 1985 protests began, in 1986 Papa Doc was overthrown and in 1990 “free and fair elections” were held. Competing against 10 comparatively wealthy candidates, it was leftist priest Jean-Bertrand Aristide captured who captured 68 percent of the vote and within 7 months of office crime was beginning to reduce and the flow of refugees had dropped significantly. Unfortunately after only 7 months of office Aristide was overthrown by the American backed Tonton Machoute, Baby’s Doc’s police force, who proceeded a long reign of terror to stamp out those sympathetic to Aristide and those hostile to the previous Doc regime. Naturally the CIA had a active part to play; as popular opinion demanded Aristide’s return the CIA funded a smear campaign painting the priest as mentally insane. Also 300 Haitian refugees were intercepted and sent to Guantanamo Bay. In 1993 the chaos had gotten so bad that Clinton was forced to remove the Haitian military dictator Raol Cedra however rather than punishing military war criminals the Americans instead ensured their safety against the rabble and provided rich retirements. Whilst this was happening the CIA run terror group FRAPH conducted paramilitary death squads to spread terror throughout the countryside.

In 1994 Clinton made a deal with Aristide and he returned to Haiti with an American led ‘peacekeeping’ force, the agreement being he can’t stray too far from policies that are acceptable to America. Of course being the lunatic he was Aristide did not stick to his word; instead choosing charge “human rights violators”, raise the minimum wage (which could not support a reasonable standard of living) and abolish the military believing they were simply doing more harm than good. According to Haitian law the President could not run for consecutive five year terms. Because Aristide was overthrown for three years during his first term, which ended in 1996 he should have been allowed these three years. America refused to allow his term to be extended for the three years that he spent in exile.

In the 1995 parliamentary elections a pro-Aristide coalition won an overwhelming victory. In the 1996 Presidential elections a pro-Aristide candidate, Rene Preval, won with 88% of the vote. In 2000 another Presidential election was held, this time with Aristide running again. He won, this time with 92% of the vote. America was not fond of these results or Aristides policies and thus heavily funded the opposition parties and various right-wing paramilitary groups. Eventually in 2004 the Aristide government was outgunned (he had significantly shrunk the military) and was overthrown.

Clearly this story (which is by no means a unique one) is simply a case of dumb brown people failing to implement the glorious virtues of Western wisdom. Had they done this Haiti would no doubt be an affluent liberal-democratic society.

Certainly doesn't imply that imperial countries (and their allies) some how profiteer from the poverty, instability and exploitation of these 'unhappy peoples'.

Edited by Barothmuk
  • Like 2

Bruce: if you actually want to know why some believe your reasoning naive and your evidence flawed,start with the two posts above this one. The rest either don't try to explain, or dontbdo so very well.

I'm on tablet but ill add another. Even if we accept happiness is represented by gdp and other metrics on your poll, are those results a consequence of western 'ideology'? How would you prove that? Swedes saying they are happy doesn't prove that swedish ideology makes them happier. Would Zambia be just as happy after 50 years on swedish ideology? Would it work just as well there? While you are at it, what do you mean exactly by ideology?

Even if we accept happiness is represented by gdp

This is disproven by the fact that Germans have an absolutely phenominal GDP given their modest population, yet they're some of the biggest **** and most miserable people on the planet.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

This is disproven by the fact that Germans have an absolutely phenominal GDP given their modest population, yet they're some of the biggest **** and most miserable people on the planet.

Maybe being big **** makes them happy?

For real, there are happy and miserable people everywhere. I certainly met some very happy Germans that were anything but **** when I was there.

Take your racism elsewhere or keep it to yourself please.

Edited by Valsuelm

For real, there are happy and miserable people everywhere. I certainly met some very happy Germans that were anything but **** when I was there.

...But I AM German. :D

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

If you were Jewish the ADL would label you a 'self hating Jew'. Good thing for the world we have only one such mislead and ridiculous organization.

As I said though, there are happy and miserable people everywhere. People have both good and bad reasons for being both. I don't know your circumstances, but there are happy Germans somewhere not far from you. Go find and be with them. ;)

'Misery loves company.' Escape those people if you need to.

If you were Jewish the ADL would label you a 'self hating Jew'. Good thing for the world we have only one such mislead and ridiculous organization.

As I said though, there are happy and miserable people everywhere. People have both good and bad reasons for being both. I don't know your circumstances, but there are happy Germans somewhere not far from you. Go find and be with them. ;)

Man, calm your ****.

I'm a dual citizen, and I cannot tell you how many times I've had German friends travel to the USA (my other country) and come back saying "omg everyone's so nice and people are actually friendly and happy!" Yeah no **** Germany, that's what happens when you don't treat people with an attitude and tone that says "I'm only speaking to you because I have to."

Of course there are miserable people everywhere, and I doubt Germany's anywhere close to the most miserable country given all the corrupt and war-torn countries out there devoid of basic human rights.

But hell yes I'm gonna poke fun of Germany for being needlessly more miserable on average than needs be, especially when I can cross multiple borders and find countries with better attitudes in no time at all, and especially when I'd dare argue things are far worse in the USA and yet average American handles that stuff like a champ.

But now here I am explaining a joke and thereby killing the joke because omg let's be politically correct....

Man, calm your ****.

I'm a dual citizen, and I cannot tell you how many times I've had German friends travel to the USA (my other country) and come back saying "omg everyone's so nice and people are actually friendly and happy!" Yeah no **** Germany, that's what happens when you don't treat people with an attitude and tone that says "I'm only speaking to you because I have to."

Of course there are miserable people everywhere, and I doubt Germany's anywhere close to the most miserable country given all the corrupt and war-torn countries out there devoid of basic human rights.

But hell yes I'm gonna poke fun of Germany for being needlessly more miserable on average than needs be, especially when I can cross multiple borders and find countries with better attitudes in no time at all, and especially when I'd dare argue things are far worse in the USA and yet average American handles that stuff like a champ.

But now here I am explaining a joke and thereby killing the joke because omg let's be politically correct....

Political correctness has nothing to do with it. You made a statement that is pretty much only likely interpreted as racist if taken by itself. Had you had 'Germany' listed as where you hailed from or also stated something that indicated you were joking (albeit a bad one), there'd be no issue. There is no tone, inflection, facial expression, etc on an internet forum, so what might be meant as a joke can be taken as something entirely different by someone else in black and white text.

Edited by Valsuelm

Man, calm your ****.

Political correctness has nothing to do with it. You made a statement that is pretty much only likely interpreted as racist if taken by itself. Had you had 'Germany' listed as where you hailed from or also stated something that indicated you were joking (albeit a bad one), there'd be no issue. There is no tone, inflection, facial expression, etc on an internet forum, so what might be meant as a joke can be taken as something entirely different by someone else in black and white text.

Or we could assume the average person isn't dumb enough to be racist and unless there's multiple posts ranting and confirming "I mean it," then calm down.

You wanna go be mad at someone, go find that one guy who's always posting here about black people.

Or we could assume the average person isn't dumb enough to be racist and unless there's multiple posts ranting and confirming "I mean it," then calm down.

You wanna go be mad at someone, go find that one guy who's always posting here about black people.

You misunderstand me. I'm not mad and I'm quite calm. See how easy it is to misinterpret black and white text alone?

Next time, just make it clear you're joking. ;)

Next time, just make it clear you're joking. ;)

And be guilty of a comedy faux pas? Over my dead body.

<Joke>

I would just like to chime in to say most Dutch people are scumbags.

</joke>

Or is it? Or is it? Bwahahaha...

Side note: can't be racist to Germans as they are a nationality, not a race. So I guess you'd be nationalitist, or something.