Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mouse Recommendations

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Wish they still made 400 dpi native mice @_@

Drowsy Emperor

Drowsy Emperor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2425 posts

This used to matter when typical cheap mice were garbage. Now that is no longer the case, most sensors are perfectly fine for anything. I recommend something based on Logitech MX518 ergonomics.

In general, gamer mice are overpriced crap.

I have three now, and have used around 5 total. All expensive, most of them a waste of money. Don't be dumb like I was :D

kgambit

kgambit

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

This used to matter when typical cheap mice were garbage. Now that is no longer the case, most sensors are perfectly fine for anything. I recommend something based on Logitech MX518 ergonomics.

In general, gamer mice are overpriced crap.

I have three now, and have used around 5 total. All expensive, most of them a waste of money. Don't be dumb like I was :D

I have to admit the MX518 is the most comfortable mouse I've used.  Looking for something as close to that as I can get. 

Thanks for all the suggestions folks.  :)

Edited by kgambit, 18 November 2014 - 08:01 AM.

CoM_Solaufein

CoM_Solaufein

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5116 posts
  • Steam:apocalypse_2000

I'm so retro - I still use one of these. :ninja:  It fits my small hand.
Occasionally I wish for a couple of thumb-side buttons I could hotkey for gaming, but such are too large/uncomfy for my palm and makes my wrist hurt after a while.

31Av%2BSxTpuL.jpg

Any tiny gaming mice (4-4.5" long) without weird contour shaping, out there? :cat:

I have one those. Good simple mouse. I have had it since my first computer and is the oldest surviving mouse that I have that works. I'm hard on mice and have gone through a lot.

CoM_Solaufein

CoM_Solaufein

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5116 posts
  • Steam:apocalypse_2000

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16826436016

I use the ROCCAT Kone XTD. It does the job. :thumbsup:

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4739 posts

Too many of the questions represent unrealistic binary choices. I don't even feel comfortable giving them a 'maybe'. If forced, I think I would answer 'it depends' to about 90% of them.

• Bartimaeus likes this

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4739 posts

So yeah, that's not the right thread. 

Valsuelm

Valsuelm

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 421 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I am so not looking forward to the day my MX518 dies...

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 7458 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock
  • PSN Portable ID:Unfrozen_Keyrock
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

The Return of the Legend: Meet the New Mouse Same As the Old Old Mouse

oky3lsx.jpg

Jrkeokt.jpg

uLCSZM3.jpg

So I found one of these legendary Microsoft Trackball Explorers used in good condition and for a reasonable price, reasonable meaning only twice what I paid for a brand new one many many years ago.  I've seen them sell for 2 or 3 times that much these days.  It was worth it for me to spend the money to have this amazing trackball back in my life.  I'm still sad and confused as to why Microsoft stopped producing these.  I'm going to baby this mouse, because if it ever breaks, finding one will be all the more difficult years from now and there is just no replacement for it.  So comfortable, 5 buttons (including scroll wheel), super precise trackball performance.  About the only negative I can say about this trackball is that it's not good for doing quick turns in games because the ball doesn't spin as freely as some trackballs, so it's hard to make a really big movement very quickly, unless you turn the sensitivity in-game up way high, which has repercussions.  On the other hand, for minute, few pixel, precise  aiming, this thing is the champ, it works beautifully for making very small movements.

Edited by Keyrock, 04 December 2014 - 04:12 PM.

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 9060 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

That ball makes me think of HAL.

You should keep looking for more of those, and buy them up whenever you see them. It always bites when something you love is no longer made, and you're scouring the world hoping to find some, somewhere. :)

Which reminds me, I think there's still some of those small basic MS mice that I use on Amazon. I need to snap those up, they're hard to find on-shelf in a store now. Hopefully they're actually the same and won't feel off....

• Keyrock likes this

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 7458 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock
  • PSN Portable ID:Unfrozen_Keyrock

That's not a bad idea, LadyC. 

Fighter

Fighter

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 806 posts

I might have found my next mouse. Roccat Tyon. Mucho top-side buttos yes, yes, yes!

7348-2.jpg

Sarex

Sarex

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1901 posts

My antivirus (Eset) blocked your images.

• Valsuelm likes this

Fighter

Fighter

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 806 posts

Huh...

I linked it of google images. I'll link another one.

Except I can no longer edit the post....

20140603roccattyon.jpg

Edited by Fighter, 06 December 2014 - 08:31 AM.

• Sarex likes this

Sarex

Sarex

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1901 posts

This one loads fine.

teknoman2

teknoman2

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1367 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

i have a sharkoon drakonia that i got a bit more than a year ago. a good mouse for it's price, but the wheel stoped working a few days ago. my previous mouse, a trust GM4200, was working fine for over 5 years before losing the use of the wheel (the reason for the replacement) despite everyone saying that trust makes bad products

in that case however was a complete HW failure, in the new mouse i think it simply got off the axis but i dont know how to open it and put it back in its place... and it would cost as much as a new mouse to have it fixed since its warranty has expired

by the way, does anyone know how to open a laser mouse and look on the inside? older mice had a screw or two and it was simple

Edited by teknoman2, 20 December 2014 - 05:57 AM.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4739 posts

Forum software doesn't allow certain possibly problematic image extentions. If you got a hit from your antivirus off an image here, I'm pretty confident it's a false positive. 

Valsuelm

Valsuelm

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 421 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Forum software doesn't allow certain possibly problematic image extentions. If you got a hit from your antivirus off an image here, I'm pretty confident it's a false positive. 

"This web page is on the list of websites with dubious reputation or websites with potentially unwanted content." is the ESET message.

Hence ESET blocks it, like many other AVs will do to sites known to have sometimes contained bad things, or to contain things that the company behind the AV is contracted to block (ie: sites that contain pirated things). Though so far as I've ever seen ESET doesn't do the latter (which is one of the prime reasons I use it), unlike some of the more popular AVs.

The site is probably perfectly safe so long as you wear your internet condoms, like all others.

Edited by Valsuelm, 20 December 2014 - 11:52 PM.

teknoman2

teknoman2

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1367 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

i finally found how to open the mouse. the wheel axis was made of cheap .5mm plastic and is broken. i tried to put it back together with some super glue but nothing, it breaks off as soon as i try to use it. i may have to go Mcguyver on it.  and if it still doesnt work, i ll have to consider getting a new mouse

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4739 posts

Even the ludicrously priced mice which I have been guilt of buying myself often are all made of the same cheap plastic components glued together. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users